Options

My Turkey Trot

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 3, 2006 in Journeys
What I did on my Thanksgiving holiday. :D

I live down near Los Angeles, and my wife and kids and I drove up to my in-laws place in Occidental, CA. They live in a redwood grove that's surrounded by the most beautiful farmland--rolling green hills and cows for miles.

Their house is a one room school house from 1890 something or other. Anyway, it's old. It's been expanded a bit, but it's a really nice place to visit. It's hard to get a good shot of it, what with all of the redwoods.

113145422-L-1.jpg

Their backyard is kinda nice, too:

113143493-L-1.jpg

If you look close in the shot above you can see their buddha. Here's a closer shot.

113145748-L-1.jpg

One of our favorite things to do on our visits is to walk the winding streets of their neighborhood, and enjoy the redwoods and wildlife. This guy, burrito, was particularly wild as we approached, hee-hawing really loud. Once we gave him a carrot he was quiet.

113139225-M-1.jpg

Later in the afternoon we went for a walk on the beach at Bodega Bay. It was really, really windy.

113146462-L-1.jpg

Just as my son snapped this picture, the tail of a kite whizzed by. I have to work with him on his framing. :D

113131236-L-1.jpg

It was beautiful.

113130657-L-1.jpg

This was taken from the top of a sand dune that the kids were running down, then walking back up, and running down (at full tilt--it was really steep!)

113130038-L-1.jpg

Resting at the top.

113130058-L-1.jpg

It must be windy a lot here.

113128765-L-1.jpg

Afterwards, it's time for salt water taffy.

113146030-L-1.jpg

Next day we took the ferry into the city.

113151178-L-1.jpg

We like to take photos in front of the murals in SF.

113152865-L-1.jpg

113153889-L-1.jpg

113154665-L-1.jpg

113153400-L-1.jpg

They're all over the place.

113154854-L-1.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Looks like you had a great holiday. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    JenW wrote:
    Looks like you had a great holiday. :):

Thanks, Jen. We had a place set out for you and everything! :D

Maybe next year.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Laughing.gif yeah well I got caught in traffic around Dallas. :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    Oh, I forgot to mention:

we had a great time! :D

113156075-S-1.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, I forgot to mention:

we had a great time! :D
    lol3.gif

that animation is icing on the cake! Looks like a great place for a visit, and a fun looking gang you've got there. Thanks for takin' us along. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    lol3.gif

that animation is icing on the cake! Looks like a great place for a visit, and a fun looking gang you've got there. Thanks for takin' us along. thumb.gif

Thanks, next time I'm going to shoot the animation at small jpeg, so I get a longer burst. I'm shooting L, and I'm just tossing the resolution, anyway when I make the gif!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    Looks like it was a great Thanksgiving.

But it looks like it was colder there in California, than it was here ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Looks like it was a great Thanksgiving.

But it looks like it was colder there in California, than it was here ne_nau.gif

It was chilly. Especially in the middle of the redwood grove where the sun doesn't penetrate, and on the beach, where the wind was howling.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    David,

Thanx for sharing your journey. In my mind at least, a journey represents some continous life expedition. It's been awhile but I remember when dgrin was quite young ( maybe around 2,000 members ) you posting and telling us about the "walks" you liked to take with your daughter alaina and son benjamin. I always found those personal snippets you shared with us to be heartwarming and fun to look at. I have a deep admiration for family values and i found myself lucky that you share with us some of your family journeys. I guess what im getting at is most people probably look in the threads under journeys for exotic places to visit but i much prefer these more personal life adventures that you share with us. It brings us ( im sure i can speak for other dgrinners ) all closer together and i like that. Ive never met you, probably never will, yet i seen your kids grow. I remember the day you daughter appeared in the banner on top dgrin's threads and i remarked to you back then what a great picture that was and how blessed you are. well its cool to see how she has grown. There are a small handfull of other people kids i like to follow on this site. and if i stop to think why some and not others, for me it has to do with more of a unique quality some kids naturally have to draw us in... some of the most beautiful childrens pictures ive seen of kids are to me - quite literally flat. then there are the others, be it beautiful or not ( it really doesnt matter ) that seem full of life and ready to jump off the page. I much prefer the second! Although it might not be your intention, i personally am appreciative that you allow us ( strangers for the most part ) to be a part of your journey. May G_d bless you and yours.......

troy
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    That's a cool spot for a house? Does it have a sleeping porch? If it
    does, sleeping outside under the redwoods is awesome!

Thanks for taking us along.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Nice family set mate...looks bloody cold though !
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    David love the trip.
    Looks like a very beautiful place to visit.
    And a great place to unwind.

Fred
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    David,

Thanx for sharing your journey.........

troy

Wow, Troy. Thanks for that. I guess we're of like minds, as I really enjoy watching yours growing up, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2006
    Gus, Fred,

Thanks.

Yeah, Gus it was pretty nipply there. Musta been in the low 50s at night, but it was a balmy 70 in the afternoon. You've heard, maybe, the famous Mark Twain quote: "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

I do wish I could live up there, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    Well said, Troy!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    David,

Lovely shots and a lovely family... looks like everyone had a wonderful time!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Very fun shots, David! Like Troy, I am very family-oriented and I'm a big sucker for family photos and family gatherings. My very first goal when I took photography classes was to become a better photographer in order to take photos of the people I loved as I saw them. Looks like you had a lot of fun and I see a lot of love in those photos as well. Thanks for sharing with us! :saurora
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    Great family outing! As the kids grow it gets harder and harder to get them all together. Cherish the moments. Thanks for taking us along.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2006
    Thanks, all. I really like family outings for this very reason. It's the only time I really get shots of the kids, otherwise they're too ornery.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    Great stuff, David. Looks like fun to me... I went with my brother to Kill Devil Hills in NC a long time ago, and we had a blast running as fast as possible and jumping down the sand dunes. You can practically fly, but you land buried in sand almost up to your shorts! Tons of fun.

I really like the kite tail shot around your head! And the mural shot doesn't exactly match your description of "like". :D
    Chris
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    113153400-S-1.jpg

They're all over the place.

I love this shot - really cute girls! Looks like a great trip...
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius