Options

Boy Scout Camp Noyo and Northern California's Skunk Train

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in Journeys
A group of leaders took 20+ scouts to Camp Noyo on the Noyo River out of Ft. Bragg, CA. A very curvey, 25+ mile car ride up the northern California coast. Three scouts lost their breakfast but only two made it into plastic grocery bags!

The Skunk Train

111543469-L.jpg

111543278-L.jpg

open air car ride

111547963-L.jpg

111548054-L.jpg

our gear came up via a converted van

111544807-L.jpg

camp noyo's logging-cable and wood bridge

111551077-L.jpg

logging cable anchor point

111550772-L.jpg

the swimming area was clear...but bone-chilling cold, so no takers of the rope swing

111553396-L.jpg

had a coleman propane lantern fail...no injuries. We allowed it to burn out. One of our assistant scoutmasters is a sheriff's dept sargeant and bomb squad expert. His recommendation was to allow it to burn as the safety valve in the propane bottle eventually released all the gas and avoided any chance of explosion. Interestingly, if we'd put the fire out with water the continued escaping gas could have collected enough and posed an explosion risk.

111545940-L.jpg

our ride back from camp to Ft. Bragg used a more modern diesel puller

111548263-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Entire album here, including a short video of the lantern fire

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Looks like a good time. A little tmi on the barf bags though....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Childhood reminders
    Nice pictures. Reminds me when I was 12 and rode the
    Skunk Train with my family.

Thanks for sharing.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 24, 2006
    great shots and travel log. Can you tell us more about this "skunk" train?
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    great shots and travel log. Can you tell us more about this "skunk" train?

It runs across the coastal mountains from Ft. Bragg 40 miles at 39 miles per hour (and slower) from to Willits on Hwy 101....has since 1885. It began as a logging route and now services tourists and homeowners along the route. Towering redwoods, creeks and rivers along the way. Original lumberjack shacks still exist along the line and old lumber moving gear can be seen everywhere....even old springboards sticking out of giant redwoods.

The run is called the Redwood Route. In 1925 little gas-powered cars were put into service that "you could smell before you could see 'em"....hence the resulant name. Halfway along the route the train stops at Camp Noyo Boy Scout camp. Scouts pile off with their gear or pile back on to head home.

It's a great way to spend a day if you're in Northern California. Remember to bring a grocery bag or two. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 25, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    It runs across the coastal mountains from Ft. Bragg 40 miles at 39 miles per hour (and slower) from to Willits on Hwy 101....has since 1885. It began as a logging route and now services tourists and homeowners along the route. Towering redwoods, creeks and rivers along the way. Original lumberjack shacks still exist along the line and old lumber moving gear can be seen everywhere....even old springboards sticking out of giant redwoods.

The run is called the Redwood Route. In 1925 little gas-powered cars were put into service that "you could smell before you could see 'em"....hence the resulant name. Halfway along the route the train stops at Camp Noyo Boy Scout camp. Scouts pile off with their gear or pile back on to head home.

It's a great way to spend a day if you're in Northern California. Remember to bring a grocery bag or two. thumb.gif

You've really piqued my interest. I'll have to look into this trip sometime soon. Thanks Doug.
  • Options
    jen_asmirianjen_asmirian Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    that looks like a lot of fun...& a good photo op. I like the perspective of the shots . very nice.