Options

How Much Should I Charge???

Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Greetings. We just ran into a new situation for us. We've been photographing antique and classic cars and hot rods at the local car shows this year and selling large framed prints to the owners. One of the owners who bought a print of his classic Mustang showed it to the custom builder who built the car for him. That builder has contacted us and wants us to do an on-site photo shoot of a custom truck that he is building. His purpose is to have the photo of his truck on his bussiness card.

Please understand that when we sell a print to an owner, all we are selling is the print and WE RETAIN the file and full rights to it. We charge what we feel is a reasonable price for the finished product, ready to hang. BUT this new situation requires us to put a price on the photo session and the licencing of the photo for the Business Card. We don't know what that is worth or what is reasonable.

I am in the printing business and I can handle the printing of the business cards and in that case my client would never have access to the file. But if he wants to use another printer then I have to supply him (or his printer) witha copy of the file ready for press.

What is a reasonable price to charge for part of a day spent shooting the truck and the licencing of the file for the business cards? Bear in mind that we are not full time professional photographers but the quality of our work is professional calibre

Appreciate your input
Bob
See with your Heart

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Bob & Glennie,

I don't think anyone can give you an exact $ figure, but here my thoughts on this. If possible, and convenient I would visit his shop, (location of shoot?) and find out what his thinking is, as well as getting a better feel for what might be involved in the photo session. Try to determine as best you can what the client’s expectations are.

After talking to him you (or he) may discover other uses, (letter head, phone add, magazine adds, etc.) You probably already know that when many clients hire a photographer they really think it’s a “work for hire arrangement” even though they don’t know the term, they believe once they pay you all rights are theirs.

You don’t have to gouge the client or add so many charges he goes away. But I would discuss this upfront, and specify what rights the client is getting in your written quote.

Now the actual shoot, do you need lighting? Do you have a nice outdoor spot with natural light lined up? Do you need to rent additional equipment. What about bad weather contingencies?

Oh, and last but not least. You say your not professionals but produce professional work. If you produce professional work, charge professional rates. You do want that new lens, to produce even better work, right?

Sam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 2, 2006
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 3, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Ian,

????????????

Sam

Did you look at the linky?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    What to charge.

Get the book everyone is linking you to first.

Then.

Charge more than you think you should without making it more than he can afford.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'm most of the way through that book & it's a good primer to get you going.