Options

Walking bridge with a strobelight.

douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
edited December 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
Was experimenting with a new flash tonight. It was dark out when i took this. I set camera on bulb and locked the shutter down on remote, then i first walked across the bridge no flash, turned around and set the flash to strobe every 1 seconds and walked back with flash in hand pointed back at me. The total exposure time was over 9 minutes.
114643137-L.jpg.
Best regards,
douglas

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    douglas wrote:
    Was experimenting with a new flash tonight. It was dark out when i took this. I set camera on bulb and locked the shutter down on remote, then i first walked across the bridge no flash, turned around and set the flash to strobe every 1 seconds and walked back with flash in hand pointed back at me. The total exposure time was over 9 minutes.

What's the blue that showing in the image above the rail and seems to be evenly spaced out ???? headscratch.gif

Nice looking bridge, snow looks reall pretty too :D
    9 minute shot....... wow that's a long time, looks good clap.gif ...Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    Thats me and my blue coat walking across the bridge rolleyes1.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Does this mean either two flashes (one on camera) or a Pocket Wizard of some sort? Is it possilble to fire the flash unit manually off camera?

Cool shot - I can't beleive how much detail came out of the trees in the dark.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    controld wrote:
    Does this mean either two flashes (one on camera) or a Pocket Wizard of some sort? Is it possilble to fire the flash unit manually off camera?

Cool shot - I can't beleive how much detail came out of the trees in the dark.

- Mike

I used one flash only. It has a test fire button that I used. The flash was set to fire 12 flashes @ 1 every second. I had to hold the test button down the whole time or it would stop firing as soon as I let go of button regardless of the fact I had it set to fire 12 times.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Wow i thought it is day time ! very cool
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    douglas wrote:
    Thats me and my blue coat walking across the bridge rolleyes1.gif

Ohhhhh forgive me I see it now I can actually see your face :D .. Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    geez... 9 minute exposure time with flash? What was this? ISO 100 f/45! rolleyes1.gif?
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    geez... 9 minute exposure time with flash? What was this? ISO 100 f/45! rolleyes1.gif?

Actually it was ISO 400 @ F16 and completely dark outside no flash on camera, just in hand @ 1/8 power that fired 7 times while i was in the frame @ 1 second intervals.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Very cool douglas.
    I'm interested in knowing how the trees on the bottom left of the shot are as bright as the ones it the top half of the shot that were exposed to the flash.
    Regardless. Cool shotthumb.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Very cool douglas.
    I'm interested in knowing how the trees on the bottom left of the shot are as bright as the ones it the top half of the shot that were exposed to the flash.
    Next time you shoot something like this. Please shoot a "real" shot to show how dark it really was when you did this!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Douglas
    That is ingenious! Wow, how do you come up with ideas like that? Way cool. I love it.....your blue coat and a flash....like the Ghost & Mrs. Muir...oops, showing age again! This is a cool photo!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Very cool douglas.
    Next time you shoot something like this. Please shoot a "real" shot to show how dark it really was when you did this!

Thank you SloYerRoll,
    The flash was on low power plus my body was blocking most of the light, the trees got very little if any light from flash. The trees are a little farther away then it appears in the photo. It was very dark outside the sun had set long ago, slight moonlight filtered through clouds only, the long exposure lit the entire scene up evenly.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    That is ingenious! Wow, how do you come up with ideas like that? Way cool. I love it.....your blue coat and a flash....like the Ghost & Mrs. Muir...oops, showing age again! This is a cool photo!

Thank you Swartzy, Im not really sure were I come up with these ideas, I have played around with actual strobelight effects before though. Now I finaly have a flash and was very pleased that it has a strobelight mode, unfortanately the test button is recessed quite a bit its quite a pain to hold it down the whole time while its strobing.
    Best regards,
    douglas