Options

ipf5000 Set-up

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited December 5, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Today I got a nice cup of coffee and all the paper work / manuals / disks, and jumped into getting this monster up and printing.

Unwrapping, removing hold downs, installing printheads, ink cartridges, cassette, and output tray was very easy. Called Canon tech to find out what “ledger” size paper is. Turns out it’s 11” X 17”. They said just use plain paper. Like I have plain paper in that size sitting around the house. Oh well, 13” X 19” matte paper will have to do.

The first print in the series of 6 print head alignment prints was very dull, and to say the least disappointing. My mind (yes what’s left of it) stared remembering the comments about how pigmented inks aren’t as vivid as dye based ink printers. The rest of the series got clearer, and the colors while cleaner were still very much pastel.

Now for the real test, I loaded up the cassette with some gloss photo paper, and printed out the Smugmug test print. I was ecstatic to see the bright vivid colors, and crisp print. The graduations in the gray scale bar at the top were excellent. Yeah!!!! Then I sat and really scrutinized it. Humm, the reds are not quite there, and there is a bit of a flat look to it. Now what! Think, think,…….. It’s not very far off, maybe a levels tweak? Wait! Did I soft proof this? No I didn’t………OK soft proof with the profile used to print the image, and Walla! The screen looks just like the print! Success!

Using the printer menus, and getting all the parameters set to print is somewhat convoluted, and non-intuitive, but I knew that going in. That said there is a neat feature that provides info on your print jobs. I was able to find out that the Smugmug test print (I printed it out just shy of an 8” X 10”) used all of 0.3 ml of ink. I am hoping to be able to get a few prints out before I need to replace $900.00 worth of ink!

I’m gona upload 60 images to MPIX to print for a client, No way I want to sit and print 60, ” different 8” X 10 prints, take care of some errands, then come back and set up the roll paper feeder, and try a few B&W images.

Thanks for listening. If you guys don’t under stand, who will?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Sounds intimidating to me Sam!!! $900 of ink........yikes! I thought buying ink for my Epson 660 was bad!!! Have fun and keep us informed! :D
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Sounds intimidating to me Sam!!! $900 of ink........yikes! I thought buying ink for my Epson 660 was bad!!! Have fun and keep us informed! :D

I am having a 32" X 48" canvas print done, and while talking to my printer he told me he just received new ink for his ipf9000, and the cost was $3600.00! Cost of ink is all a matter of perspective. :D

Sam
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Sam wrote:

Thanks for listening. If you guys don’t under stand, who will?

Sam

Very neat Sam, congratulations on the purchase.

There is a good article here on the printer. I think I would be more concerned whether the desk woill support it's weight rolleyes1.gifFully loaded it carries 1.56 litres of ink. They reckon that is good for 2,500 A3 prints. That's 100 prints a month for 2 years.

I understand...

Stan
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    It sure looks like a sweet printer you got Sam. Aparently it prints the largest color gamut of comparable printers. It looks like you got a good one, congrats!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    Very neat Sam, congratulations on the purchase.

There is a good article here on the printer. I think I would be more concerned whether the desk woill support it's weight rolleyes1.gifFully loaded it carries 1.56 litres of ink. They reckon that is good for 2,500 A3 prints. That's 100 prints a month for 2 years.

I understand...

Stan

Stan,

I did some research, and the numbers I have are not as good as your estimate.

From the Red River web site they have a ipf5000 log that shows using 1.9 ml of ink for a 13 X 19 print at the highest print quality. Different paper, and print quality settings will effect these calculations.

Theoreticaly if the printer has 12 ink cartridges with each cartridge containing 130 ml, the printer would have a total of 1560 ml. 1560 ml divided by 1.9 ml would be 821 (13 X 19) prints. Another way to look at is based on these numbers the ink cost to print is less than $0.005 per sq inch. I would add a factor for waste, reprints, printhead cleaning, operator errors :D , and the all enclusive fudge factor, and use a cost figure of $0.013 per sq inch. This is 2.5 times higher that the loged ink usage. Still very affordable when you consider the cost to out source seems to run between $0.08, and $0.15 per sq inch depending on paper. The most expensive paper I have is Somerset Velvet on a 17" wide roll and I calculate the cost is $4.89 per linear foot. The size and layout of the various images will determine the paper cost. The least expensive is matt paper and is only $0.70 per linear foot.

Still pretty reasonable costs for high quality prints.

Sam
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Stan,

I did some research, and the numbers I have are not as good as your estimate.

From the Red River web site they have a ipf5000 log that shows using 1.9 ml of ink for a 13 X 19 print at the highest print quality. Different paper, and print quality settings will effect these calculations.

Theoreticaly if the printer has 12 ink cartridges with each cartridge containing 130 ml, the printer would have a total of 1560 ml. 1560 ml divided by 1.9 ml would be 821 (13 X 19) prints. Another way to look at is based on these numbers the ink cost to print is less than $0.005 per sq inch. I would add a factor for waste, reprints, printhead cleaning, operator errors :D , and the all enclusive fudge factor, and use a cost figure of $0.013 per sq inch. This is 2.5 times higher that the loged ink usage. Still very affordable when you consider the cost to out source seems to run between $0.08, and $0.15 per sq inch depending on paper. The most expensive paper I have is Somerset Velvet on a 17" wide roll and I calculate the cost is $4.89 per linear foot. The size and layout of the various images will determine the paper cost. The least expensive is matt paper and is only $0.70 per linear foot.

Still pretty reasonable costs for high quality prints.

Sam

That was my feeling. Even when you factor in the capital and depreciaion tied up in the printer, so long as you are getting a reasonable through-put, there is a good margin there. Plus you have no one else to blame if the prints are not as you expected. Giving you complete control of the finished product.

Enjoy

Stan
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited December 3, 2006
    FYI, if this helps
    Sam, today M. Reichmann updated his report on your printer.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Sam, today M. Reichmann updated his report on your printer.

Too late! I already bought it! Do I realy want to read about it now? Ok.......You talked me into it. I'm off to read about.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Too late! I already bought it! Do I realy want to read about it now? Ok.......You talked me into it. I'm off to read about.

Sam

I can relax................The review was very positive. One thing ya gota hate, is to buy a product only to find out it's a dog.

I didn't think I would find that. I had done some research! So far I haven’t had any real surprises, just trying to learn all the idiosyncrasies, and discover the tweaks necessary. I think at this point it would be easier if Canon skipped the included documentation, and just included a 1-800 number with a note in the box to call Canon. J First thing Monday morning I will be a calling them.

It’s all going to work out great. I just need to go through the learning curve, and motions.

Sam
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Here I was perfectly happy with my $163 (CompUSA has it for 170 and Staples has a 110% price guarantee) iP6700D, and along come you and your printer.bowdown.gif