Options

Flash for a DRebel

BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited December 25, 2004 in Accessories
I need to get a real flash, this little pop up thing ain't getting the job done.

Which route will I get the best value/use out of? I have never used a shoe mount flash, so I have lots to learn, but I know I need one that is flexable and one that will grow with me.

Speedlite 580EX (gray market???) $408
Speedlite 550EX $330
Speedlite 420EX $180
or
Sunpak PZ 4000AF $115
or
Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER $200

Does going canon justify the additional $$$$?

.I am leaning to the 550, but want good advice,

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    I bought the Sunpak 5000 after reading many different opinions on dpreview 300D's thread.

I had a budget to adhere to. I went as far over it as I could and still survive. But paying more for a flash would have meant not buying something else. So far I am happy with it. But I use a flash so rarely that I didn't even get it out until Thanksgiving. Now that I am learning it, I will undoubtedly use it more. Whether that is bad or good remains to be seen. I have always been in favor of natural light. Unfortunately sometimes that just doesn't cut it. For that I needed a flash.

I will let others advise you, I can tell you that there was not agreement on dpreview. It seemed that people bought what they could afford and learned to live with it. (And if they could afford more, that was what they advised everyone else to get.) Anything that is dedicated was really all right with me.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    You forgot the Promaster 7500 (in case you didn't have enough to choose from) :D

Link to DPreview forum posts in regards to it.

Warning...it's not compatible with the 20d.

I'm personally going with the Sigma EF 500 Super once I get the funds just because it has an integrated/slide-out bounce/diffuser built into it. One less accessory to carry around.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    I went with the Sigma. It is a knock off of the 450 and the savings allowed me to get a Sto-fer and a new bag that will allow me to carry my film and digital bodies and lenses in one nice package!
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    You can get the 550EX now for about $250 in mint shape for those folks (like me) who went to the 580EX. :mwink.gif
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    I went with the Sigma Super 500 myself, read alot of reviews and they seem to point towards the super 500 coming out better then Canon's 550