Constellations: Orion

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited December 25, 2004 in Holy Macro
clenched fist under the lens barrel and the camera body braced on the table... If anyone had ever told me I would be taking pictures of stars without a tripod or a clockdrive while having dinner in the Philippines...

iso1600
5.0sec
f2.8
45mm
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    clenched fist under the lens barrel and the camera body braced on the table... If anyone had ever told me I would be taking pictures of stars without a tripod or a clockdrive while having dinner in the Philippines...

iso1600
    5.0sec
    f2.8
    45mm
    Wow! For a handheld shot, it's pretty good!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Wow! For a handheld shot, it's pretty good!

Ian
    Agreed. Did you hold your breath too? :D

Mine would have looked like a painting that a 2 year old did with finger paint.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    aero-nut wrote:
    Agreed. Did you hold your breath too? :D

Mine would have looked like a painting that a 2 year old did with finger paint.
    Yes I did. Do bear in mind that a couple of liters of San Miguel had steadied my nerves and that heavy wooden tables do make good brace points.

Seriously, place the camera on the table, use a clenched fist under the lens to adjust the angle and you can have a pretty solid platform. Either use the timer or use your body weight like a sandbag to steady the camera while you depress the shutter.

Here is another from that same dinner table:

iso1600
    10sec
    f2.8
    27mm
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

iso1600
    5.0sec
    f2.8
    45mm

Charles - I think you and I have a lot in common :D - My shot of Orion was tripod mounted at ISO 100 and hence had an exposure time of 30 sec at f4.0 - very close to your exposure of 5 sec at f2.8 ISO 1600. If you look at mine carefully you can see the star trails of the stars in ORION's belt as expected with a 30 second exposure without a star drive.
    3303356-L.jpg

1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Nice shots Charles thumb.gif
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Charles - I think you and I have a lot in common :D - My shot of Orion was tripod mounted at ISO 100 and hence had an exposure time of 30 sec at f4.0 - very close to your exposure of 5 sec at f2.8 ISO 1600. If you look at mine carefully you can see the star trails of the stars in ORION's belt as expected with a 30 second exposure without a star drive.

1drink.gif
    The shorter exposure or perhaps the 1DmII sensor also seems to bring out the star color differences better. I think I could cut my iso to 800 and still use a 5sec exposure to drop the noise down also.
    Cletus wrote:
    Nice shots Charles thumb.gif
    Thanks