Options

What does waterproof mean ?

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited December 6, 2006 in Cameras
My dad wants a camera for Christmas to take snorkeling. He wants a dedicated dive cam but I dont think its right for him. I was looking at the Olympus Shockproof and waterproof camera (7mpixels) as a good option. It says its waterproof to 10'. Well what the heck happens if you go to 11' or 15' ? Does it self destruct or what?

Help me ! :bow

link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8612&A=details&Q=&sku=470540&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• Options
    UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    My best guess would be that the pressure at anything below 10' would be too much for the water proofing seal or something, that it would eventually leak if it went down too far. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2006
    Im thinking that it has to have a max tolerance. I mean I was looking at the Pentax W20 and it says 5 feet for 30 minutes. But im thinking short burst down to 10 feet would be fine. And 30 minutes, so you could be under for 30 minutes, resurface and go down for another 30 minutes? This is confusing. ne_nau.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Water exerts so many PSI at a certain depth and as you go deeper this increase greatly.
    So if you purchase a camera that is good for 10 feet for 30 minutes (let's say) and you stay under for 45 minutes...it very well could start to leak...if you go to eleven feet or 12 probably not but 15 yes...as one has to figure the pressure at that depth to know how long you can stay down.....

Also figure into you equation that at sometime he will drop the camera while snorkeling and will have to retrieve it from a depth greater than 10 feet.

All in all the investment for a dive camera is your best bet, or a dslr with a dive housing (now talk expensive)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    What about one of Canon's waterproof housings made for their point and shoot models? Some are only rated for 9.8ft but a few are rated for 100ft. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=StandardDisplayAct&fcategoryid=113&keycode=underwater_photo
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2006
    Thanks for the tips y'all. I went with the Pentax Optio W20. Its good for 5' and I bought a aquapac that is good for 15' So he can go deeper and the unit will be protected. I hope he likes it !! clap.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Water exerts so many PSI at a certain depth and as you go deeper this increase greatly. So if you purchase a camera that is good for 10 feet for 30 minutes (let's say) and you stay under for 45 minutes...it very well could start to leak...if you go to eleven feet or 12 probably not but 15 yes...as one has to figure the pressure at that depth to know how long you can stay down.....

Also figure into you equation that at sometime he will drop the camera while snorkeling and will have to retrieve it from a depth greater than 10 feet.

I don't know anything about the response of cameras/housings to different depths/times, but if it helps I can tell you that you double the atmospheric pressure for every 33 feet (approx 10 meters) that you descend. So, for example, if the camera is rated to 10 feet that is only 1.3 atmospheres, or 30% more pressure than you'd find at the surface. Adding another 10 feet to that and taking it down to 20 feet is basically doubling the additional pressure, to 1.6 atmospheres.

I'd be cautious about exceeding the rating period unless you find someone with credible experience in similar circumstances. The time factor in diving (at least for humans) is related to nitrogen in the blood, which accumulates faster at greater depths. I don't see how timing would affect the camera/housing or how multiple dives in a row would impact its ability to withstand it's rated depth.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    One more quick thing - if he is using it for snorkeling I'd recommend a strap of some sort that affixes to his chest/waist and a long enough tether to the camera to bring it up to face level. You don't want anything hindering your arm/hand movement and you don't want anything around your neck.

When I dive (SCUBA) I attach my camera to my BCD so it hangs down by my waist when I am not using it. Just have to watch it doesn't bang on the coral when it's hanging.

I am sure he'll enjoy the ability to document the underwater adventures!

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2006
    Thanks for the info man. I will be reading up a bit on that stuff. And I will be sure to tell my pops to use as directed. :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net