Options

HP B9180 - Anyone use it?

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited December 8, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I've been looking at buying a printer for a while and have been comparing the Epson 2400 and the HP B9180. I think I am going to get the HP B9180 but before I pull the trigger give me some feedback. For those that haven't heard about it, it is a pigment based inkjet that uses 8 inks and can print up to 13x19.

The positive:
The paper cartridge and manual feed both feed from the front.
27mL ink cartridges are large for this grade of printer.
Closed loop, self calibration.
User replaceable print heads.
All inks are always in the printer unlike the Epson 2400.

The negative:
There is no roll feed.
Inks cost more per mL than the Epson 2400. HP = $1.18/mL, Epson = $.69/mL

The unkonwn:
Which printer uses more ink. This is the hidden cost most people don't consider. Even thought the HP's ink is more expensive, if the printer uses less ink than the Epson it would still be cheaper. The opposite would be true if it uses more ink than the Epson.

So does anyone here use this printer? If you do use it I would be grateful for any input you could give me. Thanks.
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 4, 2006
    ...bump...
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    Well I guess no one here uses it. But I bought one anyway. It should be here be the end of the week, all 37lbs. of it. Now I just need to buy something to put it on and sell a kidney to buy some paper for it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Epson used to boast the smallest picoliter size of nozzels....I haven't done any comparisons in a while but would think nozzel size should still in the specs on both.......ne_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    geanmichaelsgeanmichaels Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    HP printer
    I have thought about upgrading to one of the newer HP's. But I simply cannot go one of the quality and size you're discussing...(I have an older HP952 I use for general printing), But... I use an HP 7960 for prints, and the quality is superb, expecially using HP paper... There's a chemical thing involved. On that printer (also an 8 color printer) I incorporate the grey cartridge, and that goes pretty quickly, faster than the color inks are used. Seems like there's an implication that the grey cart is only for B&W... but I'm here to tell you the tones it produces in color are worth the expense. The newer inks HP came out with are supposed to be even more impressive... but last time I checked only one cart was available for mine.

Short story... I would have no problems doing the HP deal because of my extreme good luck with both those.

I'd like to know how you like it...

OH!... BTW... I watch for, and buy, my HP supplies when promos are running, and mostly use Office Depot's Advantage card when my credits hit every 90 days... Last batch I bought for about 40% Reg. retail... have had no problems whatsoever with carts "drying up" on shelf.

Mike
  • Options
    silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    I have one.

One feature you may want to consider is that the ink is used intermittently even when you are not printing. The HP B9180 maintains ink flow as long as the printer is powered in order to keep the print heads clean.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Epson used to boast the smallest picoliter size of nozzels....I haven't done any comparisons in a while but would think nozzel size should still in the specs on both.......ne_nau.gif
    This is not so much of an issue anymore. The HP does not have the smallest dropplet size but the way it disperses the droplets make it not matter. You can only tell the difference in dropplet size between the HP B9180 and say the Epson 2400 under a strong loupe.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    OH!... BTW... I watch for, and buy, my HP supplies when promos are running, and mostly use Office Depot's Advantage card when my credits hit every 90 days... Last batch I bought for about 40% Reg. retail... have had no problems whatsoever with carts "drying up" on shelf.
    Mike
    Thanks for the info Mike. I'll definitely check out Office Depot for specials. Since there are 8 ink cartridges and they cost about $33 each I'll be scrounging around trying to find them cheaper. I'll try to keep you up to date on what I think of it. Right not it is in a huge box sitting next to me and I'm wondering how I will fit it in my car to drive home from work.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    silica wrote:
    I have one.

One feature you may want to consider is that the ink is used intermittently even when you are not printing. The HP B9180 maintains ink flow as long as the printer is powered in order to keep the print heads clean.
    I've heard that and also that it is suggested to kep the printer on at all times to is can monitor itself. I understand that is will consume ink doing this but if that will keep the heads clear and prevent clogs that is fine with me.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Please let us know how you like it. It sounds like a great printer.