Options

General shutter speed question

MasadaMasada Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 19, 2004 in Cameras
Quick question for all the digital gurus out there:
(in my case) I have a Fuji Finepix 3600. I love the thing. Great images, crisp! 3.2 megapixels, the whole 9 yards.
Only one gripe: Shutter speed.
I'd like to know if there is ANYone out there who can tell me if there is ANYway to speed up the time it takes to shoot a picture! It takes almost--if not more than--a full second to get an image from the time I push the shutter button 'til it shows up. This can and usually does pose some problems. Like when I go to hockey games or any other place I have fast subjects. As soon as I snap the image, by the time it shows up the subject is gone.
It's making me ill just thinking about it so if ANYone can help me, much appreciated!

Thanks
Tay

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Masada, I very much regret to say that you've just described the downside to many a digital camera. Fast shutter response is a valued feature of some digicams. It sounds like yours doesn't have it. (I assume you're not setting a slow shutter speed.)

I have a Canon G3, and it has a similar issue - shooting anything that moves, including people, is very tricky.

Oh, and welcome to the site! 1drink.gif Post lots of pics.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    Yeah, what waxy said, its not shutter"speed" you are having a problem with, its shutter "response". I'm sure your finepix has some sort of a burst mode. Try using that - its the only way I ever capture any action with my point-and-shoot.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, what waxy said, its not shutter"speed" you are having a problem with, its shutter "response". I'm sure your finepix has some sort of a burst mode. Try using that - its the only way I ever capture any action with my point-and-shoot.
    Burst mode?
    I'm not sure what that is.
    Could you explain?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Some cameras have a setting that allows them to automatically take 3-5 shots in a row. Depending upon the shutter speed, cameras like ours might be able to knockout two or three shots a second, if we're lucky. Hit the trigger once and it fires a burst of frames (after the usual delay getting started.) Check your owner's manual to see if you have such a setting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Welcome, Masada. Are you sure about the model number? I can't find any information about a finepix 3600. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Welcome, Masada. Are you sure about the model number? I can't find any information about a finepix 3600. ne_nau.gif

Sorry 'bout that. It's FUJI FinePIX 3800. (not 3600).
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Masada wrote:
    Sorry 'bout that. It's FUJI FinePIX 3800. (not 3600).
    Consider yourself lucky. My parents have that camera. I've used it, and while the shutter delay is annoying, as it is with many digicams, it is less apparent on that camera than on others. Mine, for example. umph.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Masada, I very much regret to say that you've just described the downside to many a digital camera. Fast shutter response is a valued feature of some digicams. It sounds like yours doesn't have it. (I assume you're not setting a slow shutter speed.)

I have a Canon G3, and it has a similar issue - shooting anything that moves, including people, is very tricky.

Oh, and welcome to the site! 1drink.gif Post lots of pics.
    Agree..."moving targets" are kind of hit and miss with my Sony P71.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.