Options

To crop or not to crop

mcbridephotosmcbridephotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited December 8, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Just got my first photo order, yipeee! Looks like the customer made no crop adjustments. The request is for 4x6 prints from hockey shots. Being a newspaper photographer ,I am trying to sresist the urge to crop in a bit and tighten up the image. Should I assume if the customer didn't put crop marks on the phots, they want them full-frame even if there a bit loose?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cliff McBride

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Just got my first photo order, yipeee! Looks like the customer made no crop adjustments. The request is for 4x6 prints from hockey shots. Being a newspaper photographer ,I am trying to sresist the urge to crop in a bit and tighten up the image. Should I assume if the customer didn't put crop marks on the phots, they want them full-frame even if there a bit loose?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cliff McBride

It's really up to you. But be careful about cropping too tight - once they are put in a consumer frame (often without a matte), there isn't much breathing room between the frame and the subjects, if you go too tight.
  • Options
    mcbridephotosmcbridephotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's really up to you. But be careful about cropping too tight - once they are put in a consumer frame (often without a matte), there isn't much breathing room between the frame and the subjects, if you go too tight.

Good point Andy about the frames, thanks for the advice.

Cliff
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I try to crop them if I think they really need the crop. Some consumers don't realize their is a crop option.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos