Options

epson or canon printers

GlidefarGlidefar Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking at purchasing a new printer either the Epson 1800R or the Canon i9900. Any recomendations in this price range on performance and maintenance. thanks.

Comments

• Options
    slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Glidefar wrote:
    I am looking at purchasing a new printer either the Epson 1800R or the Canon i9900. Any recomendations in this price range on performance and maintenance. thanks.

I can't comment on the Canon, but I do own the Epson R1800. The Epson is a fantastic printer, it has exceeded my expectations. I show friends my 13x19 prints and they don't believe I did them at home. You should also note that Epson has a wide selection of archival quality papers in both various finishes and sizes.

No problems with performance in 2 years. Only maintenance has been occasionally running the print head cleaning utility.

I don't know your exact needs, but in terms of quality of the prints, I don't think you would be unhappy with the Epson.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I own a Canon printer and it is fine, no problems. BUT, when I buy again, it will be an Epson.

Why?

It is the 'halo' around an Epson. Look on the shelf of your average Best Buy or Compusa for paper and supplies. For Canon, you will see a few paper sizes here and there. For Epson, it will be rows of paper, different styles, weights, sizes. It is amazing. Even more, you can find hundreds of 3rd party inks and papers for the Epson, whereas there are far fewer for Canon. In other words, my options are greater for whatever I want to do with the printer with Epson, with Canon being good for 4x6 and 8x10 glossies.

Anyway, take that into consideration as you decide.