Options

can lenses be cool or warm?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 11, 2006 in Cameras
I have a lens that seems to always turn out cooler toned pictures. Is it correct to say that lenses can have a tendency to be cool or warm? It's a little frustrating because I know I will usually need to do some work in post to reduce the blue and add a warming filter to the pictures with that lens (I use it most for portraits...it has nice bokeh). I'm considering e-baying it for a different lens and wondered if this issue has bothered anyone else? It is an older lens, so perhaps that has something to do with it? Any thoughts or input on this?

Thanks!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,864 moderator
    edited December 4, 2006
    Elaine,

All lenses have "personalities". Color and contrast, dimensionality and bokeh, are all terms I've heard in the descriptions of different lenses.

It used to be worse with film, because there was less you could do about it after the fact.

Since the traits are identifiable, and repeatable, you can develope strategies to "massage" any peculiarities to your liking, especially in the digital domain of software image processing.

The trick is to develop a methodology and procedure to make the process as painless as possible. Key to this is image processing software that allows automation, especially batch automation. It still may take some time, but the automation removes the tedium from the task.

If you describe your current software and method, we can probably help recommend to you a particular solution, which might necessarily require additional software, but possibly inexpensive software.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Yes,
    Speaking from my personal experience, for Canon's, Sigma lenses tend to have the warmest color cast, if you consider Canon L lenses as standard. Tokinas tend to be a bit cooler, and Tamron's seem very close to Canon's color cast.

It can be easily fixed in processing though with adjusting WB or other various settings that allows you to tint colors.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Why wait till you are processing the images to fix the cast? Just use a custom WB during the shoot. You may need to practice to see what works for you but I think fixing it in camera is always the easiest thing in the long run. Good luck!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Depends on your definition of cool and warm. If you are using AWB, yes, the lens may affect the color temperture. However if you set the WB yourself, no, the lens shouldn't make a difference in that aspect.

I use AWB, shoot RAW, and adjust color temperture in post processing. I do notice that my 24-70 L is a tad warm when using AWB, but its nothing that can't easily be adjusted in post.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, folks! I don't usually use AWB and I don't have much trouble, except with one lens. Even outside in daylight with a daylight WB setting, the pics come out too cool, with blue undertones to everything. I am currently using PSE 3, and I usually decrease the blue in color variations and then apply a warming filter. Sometimes I go to far though, and after I come back to a picture I've already worked on it looks too warm! So I don't trust myself to get things right yet. I'll keep tinkering!

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    Light WizardLight Wizard Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2006
    Warm or Cool Lenses
    It's is true, not all lenses are created equal. All lenses are different as far as color cast, contrast and so on. What you need to do is to know your equipment, know your lenses; and tweek post shoot with a good editing software......:D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Is this just an artifact of slightly different colored glass? Certainly filters can be cool or warm. And probably not all glass is completely neutral (equally transparent to all spectra?)

Is there something else going on?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    One thing to remember is that your monitor needs to be calibrated for color, if it's not, then there is no guarentee that the colors are due to the monitor being off. Seeing as it's onlhy one lens, I suspect that it's a lens.

Is this a Canon 75-300mm by any chance?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Tee Why wrote:

Is this a Canon 75-300mm by any chance?

Nope...It's a Minolta 70-210 f/4, also known as the "beercan."
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with Minolta lenses, just Canon stuff.
    You can adjust the WB if you are setting in unchanging light situation but if you are shooting outside under changing lighting situation, then it's almost impossible to keep adjusting WB. You can bring a Grey Card to fix the WB, but other than getting rid of the lens, your best bet is to shoot in RAW and fix it in processing as you have been doing.

Good luck.