Rain Cover

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited December 27, 2004 in Accessories
We are in what appears to be a rainy season. I've not been here long enough to know the seasons, but there is rain in the forecast for the next week. I can't imagine going that long without taking a pic, so I'm on a fast track to buy a decent rain cover.

I did some searching, and found the Kata E-702 Rain Cover. It looks pretty good for the price.

316856.jpg

I've also seen some people use plastic bags. I may give this a try, but I'd be more comfortable with a product designed for DSLR & medium zoom lens.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these? Have something you use & would recommend?

Thanks for all your help. I plan on buying one Monday / Tuesday.

Dave

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Looks like an elephants condom.

Hey ... Ive got Turrets ok !!!!
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    We are in what appears to be a rainy season. I've not been here long enough to know the seasons, but there is rain in the forecast for the next week. I can't imagine going that long without taking a pic, so I'm on a fast track to buy a decent rain cover.

I did some searching, and found the Kata E-702 Rain Cover. It looks pretty good for the price.

I've also seen some people use plastic bags. I may give this a try, but I'd be more comfortable with a product designed for DSLR & medium zoom lens.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these? Have something you use & would recommend?

Dave
    I use showercaps filched from hotel rooms.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Looks like an elephants condom.

I'll be sure and give you my review rolleyes1.gif

Only you would throw that out there :D

Dave
    edited December 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I use showercaps filched from hotel rooms.

How do you like those? Have you used it for an extended shoot in the rain?

I'm looking for something that will hold up for hours in the rain, not monsoon, but steady rain. I'm leaning towards something designed for this purpose just to be safe.

The more I look at that design, the more I think I'll need a hand grip on the camera body. it looks like it could be hell to carry w/o one. I don't see how you would get your neckstrap in there ne_nau.gif

Dave
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    How do you like those? Have you used it for an extended shoot in the rain?
    Bearing in mind that L glass as well as the 1DmII and the DCS520 before it were built to take out in adverse weather... I find the only issue is keeping raindrops off the glass. Use a hood and do not aim into the wind in a driving rain storm. When shooting the elastic band of the showercap pulls down to cover the camera and part of the lens barrel when not shooting let the camera point down.
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm looking for something that will hold up for hours in the rain, not monsoon, but steady rain. I'm leaning towards something designed for this purpose just to be safe.
    It *is* probably better but is likely to be actually necessary pretty rarely. I absolutely loved my 85 f1.2L but finally sold it because I was not using it enough to justify the expense. 'Course that is less an issue for a $40 rain cover.

dkapp wrote:
    The more I look at that design, the more I think I'll need a hand grip on the camera body. it looks like it could be hell to carry w/o one. I don't see how you would get your neckstrap in there ne_nau.gif

Dave
    I always put a hand strap and a neck strap on my cameras and I have not had a camera without a grip for 15 years or more. Just remember if you are thinking of changing lenses out in the weather that the neck strap is a necessary 3d hand that places the camera right in the shelter of your open coat and hunched over body.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Hey ... Ive got Turrets ok !!!!
    Tourette's. Supposedly involuntary. You seem to have an extremely advanced case where even your typing is involuntary. rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 27, 2004
    Dave - how about this...

Andy showed a great camera cover made out of a heavy 1 gal Zip Lock bag - He cut off the corners to thread his neck strap through and zip locked the bag around the lens. Seems to work real nice for all but long lenses. He has quick release snaps in his camera strap on both sides which allow him to thread the strap through the holes in the corners of the bag. Penny Tech Rules!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dave - how about this...

Andy showed a great camera cover made out of a heavy 1 gal Zip Lock bag - He cut off the corners to thread his neck strap through and zip locked the bag around the lens. Seems to work real nice for all but long lenses. He has quick release snaps in his camera strap on both sides which allow him to thread the strap through the holes in the corners of the bag. Penny Tech Rules!!

I saw that last night when I did a quick search on the forums. I'll probably give it a try, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up for extended rain shoots. I just spent a lot of money I don't have on gear, and I'd hate to chance it to a Zip Lock bag :D

Dave
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Tourette's. Supposedly involuntary. You seem to have an extremely advanced case where even your typing is involuntary. rolleyes1.gif
    Dont even ATTEMPT to tell me you spelt that without looking it up.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Dave
    I have one. Used it yesterday :D

It's nicer than baggies. But the failing is using the viewfinder. The clear plastic
    has to be flat against the 'finder. It keeps your hands out of the wind and warm.
    The downside to that is that it the moisture your hands do give off is trapped in
    the case.

The 100-400 fits in there reasonably well though you can get extensions for
    longer lenses.

Seemed ok for the money.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 27, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I have one. Used it yesterday :D

It's nicer than baggies. But the failing is using the viewfinder. The clear plastic
    has to be flat against the 'finder. It keeps your hands out of the wind and warm.
    The downside to that is that it the moisture your hands do give off is trapped in
    the case.

The 100-400 fits in there reasonably well though you can get extensions for
    longer lenses.

Seemed ok for the money.

Ian

Thanks for the review Ian.

This should do the trick. It should be a nice compromise on price and function between plastic bags & $200+ options I've seen.

I should have it in a few days from B&H. I couldn't find one locally.

Dave
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the review Ian.

This should do the trick. It should be a nice compromise on price and function between plastic bags & $200+ options I've seen.

I should have it in a few days from B&H. I couldn't find one locally.

Dave
    The $200 ones are pretty impressive but what makes them "better" than either
    the Kata or Lightware (both are around $30)? Anybody know?

Ian
    edited December 27, 2004
    I see that my new 70-200/2.8L IS (gloat gloat) is water resistant. What about the 20D body? Should I be afraid of getting it wet?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I see that my new 70-200/2.8L IS (gloat gloat) is water resistant. What about the 20D body? Should I be afraid of getting it wet?
    If you and I walk by the lake, gloaters should not walk on the inside arc. mwink.gif
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I don't think either the 10d or 20d are water resistant.

Ian
    edited December 27, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    If you and I walk by the lake, gloaters should not walk on the inside arc. mwink.gif

ha ha ha. at least i'll get some really really sharp pics before i go under. umph.gif
    edited December 27, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I don't think either the 10d or 20d are water resistant.

Ian
    kinda what i figgered. i think i'll wait for the rain to let up.
    edited December 27, 2004
    My body is water resistant, but my el chepo Tamron lenses are not :D

Dave
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    kinda what i figgered. i think i'll wait for the rain to let up.
    That Kata cover is really nice for shooting at the beach--when it's not
    raining. I'm convinced that in situations where humidity is high or where there's
    a lot of dust or sand blowing around that a cover is worth it--unless of course
    your job will buy you a new camera :D

I'm with you though. I'd rather it wasn't raining when I was out shooting.

Ian