Options

FS: DIY RDS with Weaver scope bases.

tswill2tswill2 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited December 15, 2006 in The Kitchen Sink
I just got a batch of Weaver QD scope bases that will be a great starting point for home made brackets to mount Red Dot Scopes on your camera. In case you don't know about RDS, it projects the image of a red dot on the center of a zero power viewfinder. These are very useful for taking photos of Birds In Flight or the bride in dim light, etc. The Panasonic talk forum on dpReview has had a number of threads on the subject. If anyone is interested in getting some, email me (see profile). Most of them are short - ~3/4 to 1" and cupped on the underside to fit a gun barrel. Like Weaver #s 12 and 14. They won't mount a Daisy type RDS. They weigh in at about 0.7 oz. for a pair. They are intended to be used as a front and a rear, and my Tasco RDS looks to be about 2 1/8" front to rear on it's mount, so it should be fairly easy to use these mounts. There are photos of my mount somewhere in my Smugmug pages...:D I have a PayPal account that would make it easy to get the money to me if you also have one. Personal check would be OK too. A $1.25 will take care of 2 bases and the postage here in the states. I paid <$0.50 each, and will pass them along at cost + postage - $1.25 total. Tom
Tom / tswill2 / chalet_boss

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2006
    Tom, having a bit of difficulty following you here... I'm sure other folks who are looking for "these" will get it, so not so much elaboration on the product (photos would help).

However, you are selling many of these? Do you make them? Should I give you the VENDOR talk?
    deal.gif

In other words, is this a FS thread? VENDOR? DEAL? headscratch.gif

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Whoops! Sorry about that Erik, the story is that I picked up a ebay auction of several dozen old stock of these mounts, and am willing to pass them along at cost to anyone interested in building their own RDS mount. 21569600-M.jpg
    Here's how I mounted mine - no stress on the camera, and easy to setup and use. I had a one piece mount strip, and the ones I got are for front and rear. I guess it falls into the DEAL catagory...
    Naturally, I'm keeping some for myself, but there are probably sets for anybody who wants them.
    116656599-M.jpg
    Here's what a pair of them look like.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Tom, having a bit of difficulty following you here... I'm sure other folks who are looking for "these" will get it, so not so much elaboration on the product (photos would help).

However, you are selling many of these? Do you make them? Should I give you the VENDOR talk?
    deal.gif

In other words, is this a FS thread? VENDOR? DEAL? headscratch.gif

thanks,
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2006
    tswill2 wrote:
    Whoops! Sorry about that Erik, the story is that I picked up a ebay auction of several dozen old stock of these mounts, and am willing to pass them along at cost to anyone interested in building their own RDS mount.
    Here's how I mounted mine - no stress on the camera, and easy to setup and use. I had a one piece mount strip, and the ones I got are for front and rear. I guess it falls into the DEAL catagory...
    Thanks Tom - Deals get passed over, I'll call it for sale so people know they are getting stuff from you. All good now thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    tswill2 wrote:
    I just got a batch of Weaver QD scope bases that will be a great starting point for home made brackets to mount Red Dot Scopes on your camera. In case you don't know about RDS, it projects the image of a red dot on the center of a zero power viewfinder. These are very useful for taking photos of Birds In Flight or the bride in dim light, etc. The Panasonic talk forum on dpReview has had a number of threads on the subject. If anyone is interested in getting some, email me (see profile). Most of them are short - ~3/4 to 1" and cupped on the underside to fit a gun barrel. Like Weaver #s 12 and 14. They won't mount a Daisy type RDS. They weigh in at about 0.7 oz. for a pair. They are intended to be used as a front and a rear, and my Tasco RDS looks to be about 2 1/8" front to rear on it's mount, so it should be fairly easy to use these mounts. There are photos of my mount somewhere in my Smugmug pages...:D I have a PayPal account that would make it easy to get the money to me if you also have one. Personal check would be OK too. A $1.25 will take care of 2 bases and the postage here in the states. I paid <$0.50 each, and will pass them along at cost + postage - $1.25 total. Tom

I would be interested in 2 sets of these. If you tell me your paypal info I will send you the $ Let me know the total

Thanks
    Osprey
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    contact info
    Osprey - I PMed you with my email address, and it is also in my profile.
    If anyone wants these shipped out of the US, they will have to pay extra postage.
    Tom