Options

Glass Palace

marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
edited December 17, 2006 in Landscapes
Last friday, I went to Heerlen to visit the opening of an exhibit where my brother was to present his latest design of a chair. The exhibit took place in a building called "Het Glaspaleis" (glass palace). The building was designed by the architect Peutz, and built in the 1930's to function as a fashion warehouse for the Schunck family. After the warehouse closed, the building decayed, until the city finally managed to buy it and have it renovated by the architects Coenen and Arets. Now it's in function as a cultural centre, and it's a remarkable sight in the cityscape of Heerlen.

117267642-L.jpg

116998591-M.jpg116998349-M.jpg

116999865-M.jpg117086923-M.jpg
enjoy being here while getting there

Comments

• Options
    harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    You'd never think that was 1930's design
    Hi Marlof

I really like the last two shots, esp the B&W indoors shot and the vapour trails in the first.

The building itself is remarkable building as its design and shape looks as if it were sketched out yesterday and not the 1930's. I realise changes to the exterior would have been made but still the orginal design is very modern indeed... well you know what I mean.

Bye, the way what lens did you use for the shots ?

Cheers

Harj

thumb.gifD
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2006
    The architect, Peutz, was ahead of his time. This building really is a masterpiece, the 'Union of International Architects' put it on the world’s list of top twentieth century monuments.

As for the lenses used: I think all but the B&W were shot with the 11-22. I did use Silkypix Developer Studio to apply some digital shift for the first one. The B&W was shot with the 14-54.
  • Options
    harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Hi Marlof

I wasn't too sure if you were still shooting with the E1, the images definetly had that Oly look, and if you were I was curious about the lens used. The 11-22 looks a pretty useful bit of glass - so I'm wondering if you've done any portrait/people shots with it or kept it for street/architecture ?

Cheers

Harj

marlof wrote:
    The architect, Peutz, was ahead of his time. This building really is a masterpiece, the 'Union of International Architects' put it on the world’s list of top twentieth century monuments.

As for the lenses used: I think all but the B&W were shot with the 11-22. I did use Silkypix Developer Studio to apply some digital shift for the first one. The B&W was shot with the 14-54.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2006
    Yes, as long as Olympus doesn't bring out the E-1 successor (and keeps it affordable, otherwise I'll have to look at the E-400 or something), I'll be using the E-1. I'm having too much fun with the E-system. Last summer I decided to go for the 11-22. The 11 is about as wide as I'd like to shoot, the 7-14 would be overkill for me. In the beginning I wondered if the 14-54 and 11-22 wouldn't overlap too much, but it's enough of a difference to be interesting. I do use the 11-22 for people/portraiture as well (after all, it goes from 22 to 44 (almost normal) in 35 equiv) but I hardly ever post images of people online so I can't really share one of these.