Options

Flash setup

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 28, 2004 in Technique
I have a Canon DigiRebel, and a 420EX flash.

I'd like to get a two flash setup going.

Is another 420EX going to cut it? Or do I need to get the 550EX?

What else do I need to know, and where can I learn it?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

the 420 cannot be a master, so you'd need the 550 or a 580. the 580 + 420s is the combo i use - very very simple. all done via optical.

you can also get slave triggers, etc, but that's extra gear... i'll holler at shay and he'll join in the conversation hers.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

There are a few ways to go about this. One of course is the method Andy suggested, and especially so if you want the auto features of the Canon system.

Another option (probably the least expensive) would be to use a Wein optical slave to trigger off the second light. The second light could be anything you want so long as you can at least control the light output. You could use a Vivitar 283 with a Wein peanut slave plugged into it:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=63118&is=REG
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=61440&is=REG

You can go the radio slave route which will get you longer distance and better security from false triggering. I like the pocket wizard brand for that. I am personally using Sunpak 555 flash units and PocketWizard Plus triggers in a three light setup which is pretty sweet and very portable. But the radio route can get expensive real quick.

And the best way to learn is really by doing. Nothing can substitute for experience. There are some forums and books that deal with lighting too, just do a little homework to find them. You can also ask questions here :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    Thanks, guys!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops