Options

I think I'm ready to market! And I need some feedback, please.

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited December 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Before I explain my plans on marketing, I need to explain where I live. I live in a small ski town (1500 people without tourists) and many people have told me that 90% of what happens is by word of mouth. I plan on marketing to both the locals and tourists/second home owners.

The locals are VERY down to earth, easy going, VERY outdoorsy people that don't have a ton of money.

Visitors and second home owners run the gamut. They can be very much like a Crested Buttean or they can have a lot of money and are a bit more serious and don't mind spending money.

I wanted to create two different 4x6 cards to leave around at different places. For the locals, I wanted a more lighthearted feel to the photos. And to display them, I'll hit the post office, grocery store, "local hangout" bars and restaurants.

For the out of towners, I wanted a similar card that has a slightly different feel, but obviously from the same photographer. I would leave these at some of the nicer boutiques, real estate offices, etc.

Anyone who allowed me to leave these would get some sort of discount or free print from my site, if desired. I would work that out on a one on one basis.

As for the prints, these are the two I have created, but not printed yet:

115990815-L.jpg115990820-L.jpg

The code on the back would correspond to the print so I could figure out which one generates more income - if any.

I figure for the $20 it would cost me to print these out (I'll print 'em at SmugMug on Lustre with backprinting to show off the quality), if I only get one client, it's paid for itself! I'm also going to do another one for weddings.

If this doesn't work marketing-wise, I'll take out an ad in the paper. Something simpler than these, but similar. But I want to start small, make sure that I have all my processes in place, start to spread word, etc. without overwhelming myself with 100 photo shoots!

My questions for you:
  • Remembering that I'm in a VERY small town with not a lot of competition for what I do, does this make sense?
  • Do you like the cards? Do you have any suggestions for making them better? Do you like the photos?
  • Do you have ANY suggestions at all?
  • I considered adding the following to the two cards - are these good/bad/whatever? (The wording is NOT finalized at all!):
    • Locals - "Capture your family in this wonderful place we live!" (Implying that I'm here and love it, making it more "local".)
    • Out of towners - "All proofing done online!" (So they know that they don't have to be here to see the photos and purchase.)
I've gotten several clients in Denver, but since it's 4 hours away, I can't keep doing that. I have NO clients here and have mentioned things casually, gotten good feedback on my site (both portraits and Crested Butte photos as well as the layout and ease of use), but haven't gotten any interest from friends. (Not whining, just explaining.)

Thanks so much! I'm FINALLY ready to do this!

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Hey Andi! Its late and dgrin already erased my first longwinded reply somehow...so I'll try to recompose for brevity.

1. Too many pictures. a 4x6 is much too small for 5-6 pictures. I'm a graphic designer so I err on the side of one very powerful focal point....move their emotions, not their eyes. If you can't possibly pick one...pick four....one big one, and three teensy thumbnails to show variety.

2. Don't see the point of two cards because:
    3. You need to sell benefits, not features. Your first tagline (local flavor) is appropriate for both audiences, because the benefit is the same. Marketing 101:
    • Features: Characteristics that physically describe your product or service. For a good example, go to an individual product description on a computer or electronics site and read the technical specifications.
    • Benefits: Describes how the product or service will help the customer solve his problem. Tells the customer what she will gain by using the product.
    Online gallery is a feature...not a bad thing to mention but it will NOT sell your product standing alone. A unique, emotive, dreamy goosebumpy image of a three year old curly hair girl will.

Hope this helps. Will write more tomorrow promise!

(And I dropped my 4x6es in the mail to you today!)

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    OH one more important thing.

Reconsider the smugmug printing (sorry Andy). You are wasting a huge piece of marketing real estate on the back. THIS is where all your contact info, benefits, features, discounts, warm fuzzy wuzzy adjectives should go.

Also, the glossy cardstock will hold up better than a picture. Trust me, no one will call you b/c they like the fancy photo paper/lustre finish.

Everyone assumes photographers who take great pictures (like your mud shots for example) will produce prints that are good quality. And survey says a great picture on crappy paper is more saleable than a crappy picture on fantastic paper.

Just my $0.02. Holler if you want a free designer! :)

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hey Andi! Its late and dgrin already erased my first longwinded reply somehow...so I'll try to recompose for brevity.

1. Too many pictures. a 4x6 is much too small for 5-6 pictures. I'm a graphic designer so I err on the side of one very powerful focal point....move their emotions, not their eyes. If you can't possibly pick one...pick four....one big one, and three teensy thumbnails to show variety.

2. Don't see the point of two cards because:
    3. You need to sell benefits, not features. Your first tagline (local flavor) is appropriate for both audiences, because the benefit is the same. Marketing 101:
    • Features: Characteristics that physically describe your product or service. For a good example, go to an individual product description on a computer or electronics site and read the technical specifications.
    • Benefits: Describes how the product or service will help the customer solve his problem. Tells the customer what she will gain by using the product.
    Online gallery is a feature...not a bad thing to mention but it will NOT sell your product standing alone. A unique, emotive, dreamy goosebumpy image of a three year old curly hair girl will.

Hope this helps. Will write more tomorrow promise!

(And I dropped my 4x6es in the mail to you today!)

lynne

Oh, jeez, Lynne! I wasn't looking for REAL advice, just fluffy stuff telling me how wonderful I am! :D

Seriously, THANK YOU! This is probably the best advice I've gotten yet - you're absolutely right.

Oh, and about the feature/benefit thing.... 11doh.gif. I worked for a major software company for 8 years doing product demonstrations and that's what I did all the time! Absolutely right - features are great, but they don't sell a product. And I haven't ever thought of my photography that way! And just for good measure, another 11doh.gif!

A few questions for you:
    • You've mentioned VistaPrint (right?): What is their turnaround like? What type of file do they take? Is it easy to do?
    • How much does it cost?
    • Do you think this type of marketing will be effective? I won't be sending them, just leaving them places.
    Also, I'll send you an email with a few other things I have for you, but thought others might like the answers to those questions!

Thank you SO much, Lynne! Your help is invaluable!
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Oh, jeez, Lynne! I wasn't looking for REAL advice, just fluffy stuff telling me how wonderful I am! :D

Now that's just too funny.

Andi, your images are just fabulous. I especially like the family portrait on the bench. I'm not sure why you're selling yourself short w/ the 20% and 50% discounts though.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    Now that's just too funny.

Andi, your images are just fabulous. I especially like the family portrait on the bench. I'm not sure why you're selling yourself short w/ the 20% and 50% discounts though.

Laughing.gif! Thank you so much, Pat! That's so kind of you! I am truly brand new in this town and there is a lot of competition just in the photography realm. The locals also don't have a ton of money. And word of mouth is king here. (Or is it queen? Laughing.gif!) I hope that by offering a special, I can get a little in here... We'll see if it works!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    I think if you add the b&w with a touch of color...you will be the competition to try to beat. I think you are way on your way to making some serious money....

Your pictures are fabulous!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    I think if you add the b&w with a touch of color...you will be the competition to try to beat. I think you are way on your way to making some serious money....

Your pictures are fabulous!clap.gif

You are such a doll! Thanks so much.... :D
  • Options
    AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Printing
    White House Custom Color is a real nice online lab.....

Funny, when you descibed where you live, my first thought was Crested Butte. Then I visited your website :)

Lovely place, Crested Butte
    Visit my web site
    www.shadowlakes.com
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    word of mouth is king here.
    That's a VERY valid point. This is also a reason you should stay away from giving killer discounts. None of the people know you from Adam (actaully Eve in this case). Since word of mouth travels so quickly, everyone will know that your the photog w/ the great deals. You don't want to be known as that. Make yourself known as the killer photog w/ the best candids and poses around!
    You can set up a "locals" discount. But I'd do this when your meeting for the shoot. Nothing like showing up and finding out you'll save money cuz your part of the "crew". Also, in small towns... Nothing travels faster than a whisper!..
    Just some thoughts. Good luck w/ your venture!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    That's a VERY valid point. This is also a reason you should stay away from giving killer discounts. None of the people know you from Adam (actaully Eve in this case). Since word of mouth travels so quickly, everyone will know that your the photog w/ the great deals. You don't want to be known as that. Make yourself known as the killer photog w/ the best candids and poses around!
    You can set up a "locals" discount. But I'd do this when your meeting for the shoot. Nothing like showing up and finding out you'll save money cuz your part of the "crew". Also, in small towns... Nothing travels faster than a whisper!..
    Just some thoughts. Good luck w/ your venture!

Very good advice! Andi, your work is incredible and worth paying for in my opinion. Don't start by discounting and then evenutally have to "explain" why you can no longer charge so little. People will pay for quality and you don't need the business of those who won't. They will just tie your time up and you will gain little except for more experience behind the camera. I think you have all the experience you need, so go for it! I particularly like the 2nd card...the images somehow seem stronger? But then, I always prefer eye contact. Good luck in your venture! :D