Lens recommendation for shooting cars

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited December 29, 2004 in Technique
Specifically, moving cars for magazine shoots. I don't need a crazy long lens, just one that will get me close to the subject from a distance, but at the same time freeze the action in natural sunlight or low light situations. I'd be shooting both moving and stationary cars. I can't spend a the money for an L lens at the moment, so I do have a budget in the $450-$550 range.

Camera is a Digital Rebel.

Here's an idea of the type of stuff I would shooting:

pbmw_lg.jpg

8980883-M.jpg

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 7, 2004
    Do you have access to rentals? That's one option.

Not sure what you're looking for but wonder if you need a fast lens
    or just something that gets you there? Maybe a Sigma short zoom
    (for the cost)?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    28-135 IS,70-200L f4 or a 70-300IS are all about in that price range and get a CP for it as well.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    The first shot, the magazine cover, is a wide angle. Canon's 16-35 2.8L or 17-40 might be the best bet.

The second shot looks like a longer lens, possibly cropped. Not sure what size lens.

You don't necessarily need a super fast lens to get a rolling car. You want a bit of blur, not only from the moving background, but also in the wheels, to indicate movement.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Lens
    dugmar wrote:
    Specifically, moving cars for magazine shoots. I don't need a crazy long lens, just one that will get me close to the subject from a distance, but at the same time freeze the action in natural sunlight or low light situations. I'd be shooting both moving and stationary cars. I can't spend a the money for an L lens at the moment, so I do have a budget in the $450-$550 range.

But you don't want to freeze action. The stationary shots will be with a tri-pod, and with a small aperture. The action shots will be probably around 1/200th - 1/125th shutter. You won't need fast glass for this.

The recommendation for the 28-135 is a good one. I've done motocross bikes with it and I like the results. It might serve both needs for you. I would not recommend the 75-300 lens. Most L-glass is out of your price range.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Doug
    I usually shoot these kind of shots with a wide angle lens. In the example below, I used the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 on a 10D
    CRW_7556.jpg

I shot this out the window of a chase car using semi long shutter speed, I think it was 1/15th of a second if I remember right.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Thanks guys! Shooting this weekend. A heavily modified MINI Cooper for Euro Tuner Magazine!!!

http://eurotuner.com/

Wish me luck,

Doug
    edited December 11, 2004
    Good luck! And please share your shots with us, we'd love to see them. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Good luck on your shoot! I love taking pictures of cars but don't have much experience on moving cars.

I'm trying to take more interesting photos but they keep looking like this.

5079411-M.jpg

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
    edited December 13, 2004
    rob, get low! It makes everything more dramatic.
    Sid.
    edited December 14, 2004
    Sid is right.

Example of getting low... One of the shots from the magazine shoot:

12637353-L.jpg
    edited December 14, 2004
    A couple more I was happy with. The weather was horrible and very dark, even at mid-day, but there is a deadline and it was the only day we could shoot. Comments welcome... (I know, the car is ugly.)

12631759-L.jpg
    12646079-L.jpg

12646098-L.jpg

12646144-L.jpg

12637402-L.jpg
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    Those are great photos! I've always had the worst luck photographing in an overcast day but you made the pictures come out.

I really like the moving shots. Do you usually take these from the passenger seat of a car? I find it's a bit difficult to take pictures from a lower angle without hanging out of the window. Maybe a motorcycle with a sidecar would be the best idea.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
    edited December 14, 2004
    Those are great photos! I've always had the worst luck photographing in an overcast day but you made the pictures come out.
    Thanks!
    I really like the moving shots. Do you usually take these from the passenger seat of a car?
    Yes, another MINI actually.
  • TonyTony Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Rebel with the Kit (in my driveway on a ladder):

1925183-M.jpg

Rebel with Tamron 28-75 xrdi (down the street)

2475685-M.jpg

Rebel with Tokina 80-400 zoom (since replaced by the 70-200F4L) - Gator Nationals from the stands

2955670-M.jpg
    Tony, Jacksonville, FL

http://tonyk.smugmug.com