Options

Statistics question

danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited December 29, 2004 in SmugMug Support
When viewing your own galleries, do the views count toward the statistics? If so is it possible to exclude, or offer option of dropping cookie on each computer used so that stats are not artificially inflated?

Thanks,
Danny

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    As far as I know, everything you do counts for statistics and I don't know of an option to turn this off. I guess to offer 2 statistics (with and without your own hits) would put an immense aditional load on the smugmug servers.

Bye,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I might be wrong
    .. but if I recall correctly what it says in FAQ/Help, your own hits would only be counted ONCE. I guess it would not affect your stats if you have a lot of visitors. And you would always know (I mean - "have an idea") of your own visits.
    It's really easy to check:
    1. create a new album
    2. add one image
    3. go to the album statistics
    4. write it down
    5. "visit" your album
    6. repeat steps 3..5
    You'll notice that once you visited all versions your stats stop changing.

<shameless brag>
    Needless to say, you can do all that from the SE's popup menu, mostly with one-click:-). Get the latest build - and enjoy the ride:-)
    </shameless brag>

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 28, 2004
    Yes, your browser should cache the images once they've been loaded to your machine once. In other words, it checks to see if it already has a copy on your hard disk before fetching another copy from smugmug.

Account owners tend to run up thumbnail views more than visitors do, because tools like bulk caption download a thumbnail for each photo in the gallery. And different tools use different sized thumbnails (there are two thumb sizes).

We've thought about how to not count your own stats in the total and honestly the number of requests we get for that is quite a bit lower than some other unfinished things like more powerful and easier customization.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Ta
    Thanks for the comments.

Danny