Options

How many pics on my canon ??

CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in Cameras
I know there was a thread an d I cannot dind it. i thought Breeze browser gave thi info but this is all i got

File: IMG_0874.JPG
File size: 3,650KB
Image Serial Number: 208-0874
Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D
Camera serial number: 0520313167
Firmware: Firmware 2.0.3
Owner: unknown
Date/Time: 2006:12:04 04:27:34
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
Drive mode: Continuous: frame 1
ISO: 800
Lens: 70 to 200mm
Focal length: 200mm
AF mode: AI Servo AF
Image size: 3504 x 2336
Rotation: none
Image quality: Fine
White balance: Auto
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: High
Sharpness: High
Contrast: High
Picture Effect: Normal
Sharpness level: 0
Tone: Normal
Custom Functions:
CFn 3: Flash sync speed in Av mode: 1/250 (fixed)
CFn 5: AF-assist beam/Flash firing: Does not emit/Fires
CFn 13: AF point selection: Multi-controller direct
CFn 15: Shutter curtain sync: 2nd-curtain sync

Can anyone help me find out how many shutter accuations.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 20, 2006
    Sorry, but AFAIK there is no way for us mere mortals to know the total actuations of a 20D.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Yeah only on the pro bodies, sorry.
  • Options
    asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    off an old photo.net topic
    The 20D, 350D, Digital rebel XT use a different rule: 10000*INT(X1/6400-1)+X1 and $3F)*256+X2
    it isn't pro body only, but i dont have a clue how to work it out since theres no reference to what each statement is..

i think your looking for a piece of EXIF named Unknown (0093). X1 will be the first number, X2 the second, but i don't know what 3F is...
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    OK, I guess its a guess then , Thanks againfor the help
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    asylumxl wrote:
    off an old photo.net topic

it isn't pro body only, but i dont have a clue how to work it out since theres no reference to what each statement is..

i think your looking for a piece of EXIF named Unknown (0093). X1 will be the first number, X2 the second, but i don't know what 3F is...
    3F might be a hexidecimal notiation, in which case 3F = 63.

Just a very uneducated guess.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 21, 2006
    3F might be a hexidecimal notiation, in which case 3F = 63.

Just a very uneducated guess.

Yeah but...it's $3F.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    sometime later i'll check my exif (as i havent reset my count) so i will be able to confirm the value of $3F :D
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Yeah but...it's $3F.
    Yes it is and in some nomenclatures, hexidecimal notation is so noted. My 9-5 is software engineering and has been for 25 years. I've seen hex prefixed with '$', '#', '0x', '0X', and suffixed with 'X' and 'x'. It all depends on the language being used and the corporate culture in which it is being used.

Further, the 'and' in the "equation" can easily lead one to believe that the function is referring to a bit-wise anding function, in which case the hexidecimal value would make lots of sense.

All of the above is offered in a the complete absense of information about the equation/function under discussion. YMMV
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    If you store your photos in a particular folder, you can simply see how many backup imags you have. That will give you a ballpark on how many shots the body has taken... figure add another 10% on top of that value for shots that were deleted on the body. As long as you take care of the camera it should last a long time! Both of my bodies, XT and XTi are over their "rated" shutter values.
  • Options
    Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    There is a website called Opanda. Download their software called Opanda Iexif and open an original jpeg from your camera. It will give you the number of actuations. The online support on the website answers lts of questions.
    Hope this helps

Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    Ebay Sucks
    Thanks all , I had it up ( my 20D on Ebay) and someone asked. I sent them to my galleries so they could see images that were just taken last week. since i did not know, I sent it in for cleaning and service before the one year warrantee was up. Now i had bids upwards of 450.00 and I was hoping to climb to my reserve, , Now ther are 6 Bid retractions...WHATS up with that, I thought you were only supposed to bid if you were serious. why pay a fee for acution when all the bidders can drop out at any time, now the bid is at 300.00 ....PLeeease. Ill use it for a stay in the car camera before i sell it for that. What a JOKE. sorry for the rant. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Mickey, I tried that Opanda and I don't see any number of shutter actuations on my 20D. I looked in the support and it says the program only works for Nikon models.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 21, 2006
    It may be right there in your Image Number field according to this document.

"Image Number Unsigned Long 1 Normally reported as FFF-XXXX.
    FFF is this value divided by 10000, XXXX is this value mod 10000. "

If we apply that interpretation to your image number, it comes out to 2,080,874. eek7.gif

No wonder the Ebay folks got scared off. rolleyes1.gif

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2006
    well I never gave them that calculation. i told him i was on 975 since cleaning, and had no software to determine actual acuaations. turned out someone got into my ebay password and unautorized REMOVED/retracted 7 bids. What a bunch of DOO DOO, I was close to my $700.00 reserve, Now ( after password changes and Ebay support) it has to be relisted for another day. I should have just sent it in on trade for the new camera. Ebay has been notifiied of circimstances.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited December 22, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    well I never gave them that calculation. i told him i was on 975 since cleaning, and had no software to determine actual acuaations. turned out someone got into my ebay password and unautorized REMOVED/retracted 7 bids. What a bunch of DOO DOO, I was close to my $700.00 reserve, Now ( after password changes and Ebay support) it has to be relisted for another day. I should have just sent it in on trade for the new camera. Ebay has been notifiied of circimstances.

This happened to my father. Make sure you run a good virus scanner against your machine, as you may have some malicious code onboard spreading your passwords.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    Both of my bodies, XT and XTi are over their "rated" shutter values.

I didn't even know the XT and XTi had a "rating" for shutter actuations.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I didn't even know the XT and XTi had a "rating" for shutter actuations.

Yes, 50,000. The original Rebel had no official rating but tends to see failure in the 20-30,000 actuations range. One of the motivations for buying my 30D was that the 300D was at 22,000+ actuations and it would kind of suck to have it fail when I really needed it.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Anybody know the shutter rating for a 20D?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:

jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:

While I see the 100K figure quoted a lot, I also see 70K actuations quoted a lot. I have never found an "official" statement from Canon for the shutter durability of the 20D (or many of the other Canon dSLRs).

Our own Ginger was told that her 20D was over the rated actuations at 90K:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=381171&postcount=19

If there is a definitive answer posted by Canon or a Canon representative, I'd surely appreciate a link.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Yeah but...it's $3F.

Soooo with the $ sign being the 5th key from the left...$ is a 5 then :jose
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While I see the 100K figure quoted a lot, I also see 70K actuations quoted a lot. I have never found an "official" statement from Canon for the shutter durability of the 20D (or many of the other Canon dSLRs).

Our own Ginger was told that her 20D was over the rated actuations at 90K:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=381171&postcount=19

If there is a definitive answer posted by Canon or a Canon representative, I'd surely appreciate a link.

ziggy53
    The page with the 20d says about twice as much as the 10d, so if we can figure out what the 10d is.....
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200409/200409.html

1D, 150.000 : http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200112/200112.html

1DII, 200.000 : http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200403/report.html

5d: 100.000 : http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200509/report.html

30d: 100.000 : http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200603/200603.html
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    While I may be shot for this, it looks like Flickr may be of help. I just shot a JPG with my 350D and uploaded to Flickr. Looking at the EXIF there it shows this was my 10,778th shot. I am sure there is some software out there that properly reads Canon EXIF data, but I have not found it...yet. I plan to visit my Canon service center and confirm or deny this finding.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen