Assignment #14: Stairs

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    First of all, welcome to the Class, great to have you here! clap.gif
    Second - nice stairs! thumb.gif
    And, finally, on a personal note - thank you for bringing back memories of your beautiful country! I spent 3 months there in 1996 in a little town called Rijswijk (between Haage and Delpht) and was fascinated with it.iloveyou.gif

Cheers!
    Thanks for the welcome :D

I haven't been to Rijswijk a lot, so you'd probably know better how it looks then I do :D

I've got a few more stairs. Well, photos with stairs on them somewhere.

Cropped, otherwise not touched:
    110990686-L.jpg

The stair is a little small in this one, but I liked the photo :D
    I toned down the white a bit, that's it.
    110990825-L.jpg

I like this one, I think the stairs show a lot better than the above one. Saturation +10, no other processing.
    110991312-L.jpg
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Grand Central Station
    111056159-L-3.jpg

I blew this one Bank of America
    111056124-L-2.jpg
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Not a technical shot, but amusing to me, anyway.

110445394-L.jpg
    Chris
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Ivar,
    ivar wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome :D

I haven't been to Rijswijk a lot, so you'd probably know better how it looks then I do :D

I've got a few more stairs. Well, photos with stairs on them somewhere.

Cropped, otherwise not touched:

The stair is a little small in this one, but I liked the photo :D
    I toned down the white a bit, that's it.

I like this one, I think the stairs show a lot better than the above one. Saturation +10, no other processing.

Thanks!
    Great reflection!
    Man, I miss water...:cry
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 18, 2006
    Evoryware,
    evoryware wrote:
    Grand Central Station
    I blew this one Bank of America

Nice ones:-)
    edited November 18, 2006
    Hey Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Not a technical shot, but amusing to me, anyway.

Looks like a "feline liberat.." ... never mind rolleyes1.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Stairs
    112589965-L.jpg

112591369-L.jpg

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited November 24, 2006
    Aaron,
    Bleachers, and what seems to be a nice entry for the current silhouette challenge! Shweet! :ivar
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    This picture is fantastically disorienting (to me at least). I took it while sitting under the stairs that go up to the second story apartments (my husband and I live on the first floor)

118078936-M.jpg
    edited December 22, 2006
    Shima,
    Shima wrote:
    This picture is fantastically disorienting (to me at least). I took it while sitting under the stairs that go up to the second story apartments (my husband and I live on the first floor)

While it's a nice shot and a totally valid entry, I wonder if you could avoid the skewing either while shooting or in post headscratch.gif
    edited December 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    While it's a nice shot and a totally valid entry, I wonder if you could avoid the skewing either while shooting or in post headscratch.gif

Could you elaborate a little more on this so I can figure out how / what it is you'd like me to fix. These are right outside my door, so easy to try reshooting, I'm just a little confused what the "skew" is that I'm looking for. :help

One of these days I need to take a real photography class, heh.
    edited December 23, 2006
    Shima,
    Shima wrote:
    Could you elaborate a little more on this so I can figure out how / what it is you'd like me to fix. These are right outside my door, so easy to try reshooting, I'm just a little confused what the "skew" is that I'm looking for. :help

One of these days I need to take a real photography class, heh.

I mean all those angles being non-equal and not "right"... The whole image looks "askewed"...ne_nau.gif
    edited December 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I mean all those angles being non-equal and not "right"... The whole image looks "askewed"...ne_nau.gif

Hmm.... must figure out a way to shoot this and get rid of that... maybe sitting right under it isn't going to work... will play around with it later... thanks for the clarification
    edited December 23, 2006
    Shima,
    Shima wrote:
    Hmm.... must figure out a way to shoot this and get rid of that... maybe sitting right under it isn't going to work... will play around with it later... thanks for the clarification

The recipe is quite simple in fact: hold your camera truly horizontal (use the level if needed, tripod would also help) and try to obtain a position exactly in the middle of the staircase, so the A1 and A2 angles would be identical.

HTH
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    The recipe is quite simple in fact: hold your camera truly horizontal (use the level if needed, tripod would also help) and try to obtain a position exactly in the middle of the staircase, so the A1 and A2 angles would be identical.

HTH

Nik.
    Sorry my friend, but I have to disagree with you in certain parts - or I have misunderstood your point -
    If Shima does that - center the staircase, iqual angles from both sides - the photo will be much flat.

On the contrary, I propose she twists/tilt the view, either by twisting the camera or, twisting/tilting the staircase partially.
    I mean, alight the staircase by one side and the other side will twist/tilt.
    That would be of some interest.

I hope I made myself explain.

I do know that you, Nik, don't take this statement as an offense (?!) or whatever... :D

Nice Christmas people !! Many gifts: lenses; cameras; filter; etc.. :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited December 24, 2006
    Antonio,
    Nik.
    Sorry my friend, but I have to disagree with you in certain parts - or I have misunderstood your point -
    If Shima does that - center the staircase, iqual angles from both sides - the photo will be much flat.
    On the contrary, I propose she twists/tilt the view, either by twisting the camera or, twisting/tilting the staircase partially.
    I mean, alight the staircase by one side and the other side will twist/tilt.
    That would be of some interest.

Well, that's a possibility, if the tilts/skews are rather bold. Currently it looks like a second-rate snapshot...ne_nau.gif
    I do know that you, Nik, don't take this statement as an offense (?!) or whatever... :D
    Why would I?:-) Opinions differ, especially in such a subjective area as art, so yours is as good as mine..:-)

Nice Christmas people !! Many gifts: lenses; cameras; filter; etc.. :Dthumb.gif
    Now you're talking:-)thumb.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2006
    I Played with this, Rotate, crop (prespective) Lens correction, and finally got this. Most of the angles work, but not all anyway shoot it if it's no good

Merry Christmas
    Stan
    edited December 24, 2006
    Stan,
    Stan wrote:
    I Played with this, Rotate, crop (prespective) Lens correction, and finally got this. Most of the angles work, but not all anyway shoot it if it's no good

Merry Christmas
    Stan

I defenitely appreciate your friendly help. thumb.gif

However, for the most of our Class assignments the primary idea is not to learn how fix an image in post, but rather how to shot it in a way that it does not need much of of the fixing. Basically, in this case I'd like our lovely Shima to learn how to shoot straigt :-) mwink.gif
    Merry Christmas, man!iloveyou.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I defenitely appreciate your friendly help. thumb.gif

However, for the most of our Class assignments the primary idea is not to learn how fix an image in post, but rather how to shot it in a way that it does not need much of of the fixing. Basically, in this case I'd like our lovely Shima to learn how to shoot straigt :-) mwink.gif
    Merry Christmas, man!iloveyou.gif

Understood Nik. I had time on my hands and thought I was an interesting shot to play with. Fixing in post is no substitute to shooting straight in the first place. Especially with this level of straightening. Fun to work on though.

Stan
    edited December 30, 2006
    How's this? Took it last night:
    119760301-M.jpg
    edited December 30, 2006
    Shima,
    Shima wrote:
    Betterclap.gifthumb.gif :-)
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Shima wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited December 30, 2006
    headscratch.gif

They are stairs photographed from the first floor, underneath the stairs. I was trying to fix my not shooting straight on.
  • jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Hi,
    some stairs from Oporto

2591166092_62fcf42946.jpg
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
    edited June 18, 2008
    jopapeca wrote:
    Hi,
    some stairs from Oporto
    Awesome stairs, I like this!thumb.gif
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    My turn at the stairs...
    Sorry I forgot to post these earlier...

319657185_MihBH-M-2.jpg

319656453_YPmnj-M-2.jpg

319656623_TVwUa-M-2.jpg
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
    edited July 9, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:
    Sorry I forgot to post these earlier...
    That's pretty good!
    I would suggest to combine this theme with "Crowd control", take a very long exposure, thus eliminating all the people and leaving stairs only:-)
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    That's pretty good!
    I would suggest to combine this theme with "Crowd control", take a very long exposure, thus eliminating all the people and leaving stairs only:-)

Oohhhh... I likes it... I'll try to have that by next week... clap.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    I shot a cool spiral staircase a few weeks ago with this thread in mind and got distracted after I processed them, so they somehow ended up in "Other Cool Shots." ne_nau.gif

Anyway, I could have probably reposted them, but here's a fresh-fresh staircase (of the moving variety) taken from the mall this evening before I was told that photography was discouraged in the mall... Oh well, at least I got a couple before I was warned!! rolleyes1.gif

2669861573_8b33961c8b_b.jpg
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited July 15, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I shot a cool spiral staircase a few weeks ago with this thread in mind and got distracted after I processed them, so they somehow ended up in "Other Cool Shots." ne_nau.gif

Anyway, I could have probably reposted them, but here's a fresh-fresh staircase (of the moving variety) taken from the mall this evening before I was told that photography was discouraged in the mall... Oh well, at least I got a couple before I was warned!! rolleyes1.gif

Nice escalator! thumb.gif

Yeah, shooting in the mall can get you in trouble fersure mwink.gif