Options

What is your favorite monitor?

imann08imann08 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited January 18, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking into a new LCD monitor and was wondering if people had ones they liked. With wide screen monitors I have heard that they conflict with Wacom tablets due to the 16:9 as opposed to 4:3. Oh, and I use a PC.

Just wanted to hear if people had ones they especially liked.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 12, 2006
    Hence the new 16:10 tablets on the market. mwink.gif

I like my ViewSonic 23 inch widescreen. Plenty of room for editing at 1920 x 1200. The Color Adjust>sRGB mode makes it easy to proof shots. I haven't found a need to calibrate it yet.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hence the new 16:10 tablets on the market. mwink.gif

I like my ViewSonic 23 inch widescreen. Plenty of room for editing at 1920 x 1200. The Color Adjust>sRGB mode makes it easy to proof shots. I haven't found a need to calibrate it yet.

I've already got a tablet and don't really want to spend more money on a new one. Thanks for letting me know what you thought of your monitor.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    imann08 wrote:

My 21" Sony CRT. When they make an LCD that comes close to it & can show me just that working in a shop..i will buy it.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    I am currently using a Mitsubishi 21". It's the same thing since they use Sony's trinitron technology. I just want to move up in size while freeing up some space on my desk since I already am using dual monitors. I have heard some pretty good things about Samsung's LCDs so far. The LCDs quality has gotten good enough for me to make the transition.
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    iloveyou.gifdell 24" (i want another one)
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    imann08 wrote:

The good old IBM P monitor line is probably the best CRTs I've ever spent a lot of time infront of, the P200 had a trinitron tube (same as Sony TVs with the same name) and was awesome for resolution and brightness.

As far as LCDs go, which is all I'll buy at this point, I'm in love with the samsung syncmaster line.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    I have dual 204B's from Samsung, after calibration I like them very much! Outta the box however, they were not so good....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    I ended up getting the Samsung 244T. I hope I am pleased with it. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2006
    I have a ViewSonic 20.1" (widescreen) a Dell 20.1" (widescreen) a Dell 17" and an NEC 17". I love them all - but the ViewSonic and NEC are better than the Dells.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2006
    Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV (22" CRT)

I love it!

Sam
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    imann08 wrote:
    I ended up getting the Samsung 244T. I hope I am pleased with it. We'll see how it goes.

That's the model I'm looking at moving to here, let us know how you like it!
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 27, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    iloveyou.gifdell 24" (i want another one)

I just got one of these and am very impressed with it. Running it in a dual monitor set up with my old 17" Apple Studio LCD it makes the Apple look dingy. The Dell is at least 50% brighter when set at 50% compared to the Apple at 100% brightness. The Apple's whites also look very yellow in comparison, sorta like aged newsprint. It would seem I'll be adding a Dell 19" (4:3) to replace the aging Apple in this dual set up.
  • Options
    BunZoBunZo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 5, 2007
    The 30" Dell must be seen to be believed!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I just got one of these and am very impressed with it. Running it in a dual monitor set up with my old 17" Apple Studio LCD it makes the Apple look dingy. The Dell is at least 50% brighter when set at 50% compared to the Apple at 100% brightness. The Apple's whites also look very yellow in comparison, sorta like aged newsprint. It would seem I'll be adding a Dell 19" (4:3) to replace the aging Apple in this dual set up.
    Truth can you happily say that you can do good colour editing on it ? I have my old fav 21" CRT Sony & whilst i love it...it is seriously just too bulky (its 2 feet deep) I always look at diff LCD's & can never say im happy with what i see.

I have not looked at the dell though. Maybe its time i tried looking at them again.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    Gus, so far so good though I am using an eye-one display 2 to calibrate. Once I weaseled around the preset madness Dell sends them out with I was able to dial it in spot on according to the eye-one. I guess time will tell as I do more editing on it. With winters short dull days up here I'm not shooting much. Been delving deep into my shallow pool of coding skills trying to learn this web design crap.

The 24" Dell is a very good value, but by no means is it the best LCD out there. I'm happy with the purchase. The 19" (1907) is total crap.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    truth wrote:

If the Apple looks yellow by comparison to the Dell's white, perhaps you should color calibrate them ;-) My 30" Cinema is decidedly "yellower" now than it was when I got it, but that's specifically because I color calibrated it to have a white point in the 5000K range... making it white like daylight. Having a "bluer" white point doesn't make the monitor any better -- the goal is to have things look like they will when they're printed :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I've gotta make a move soon....my vertical / horizontal are going out....I have to hit the sides and top of monitor to get it to straighten out and that is only a temporary fix....

Retailers in this area are trying to push View Sonic and LG flat screens.
    Is any one currently using either of these two and your thoughts on them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I've gotta make a move soon....my vertical / horizontal are going out....I have to hit the sides and top of monitor to get it to straighten out and that is only a temporary fix....

Is any one currently using either of these two and your thoughts on them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Do make a post mate & let us know what (if) one you decide on.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    imann08 wrote:
    I am looking into a new LCD monitor and was wondering if people had ones they liked. With wide screen monitors I have heard that they conflict with Wacom tablets due to the 16:9 as opposed to 4:3.

There is no technical conflict. For many years (on the Mac at least), the Wacom driver software has let you choose how you want to map the tablet area to the monitor area. If you have a screen wider than the tablet, you can choose whether you want to use a smaller, narrower area of the tablet, or use the whole tablet anamorphically (squeezed). These options existed even back when monitors were the same size, because they helped you adapt the tablet to any multiple-monitor arrangement.

Wacom does have new "wide" tablets that are a much more physically consistent with widescreen monitors and wide multiple monitor setups. However, they cost sufficiently more than the tablet I have now that I don't see the point in upgrading. The 5080 dpi resolution of the Intuos tablet grid is so much higher than the monitor that even if you have a relatively small tablet, or a tablet that is not quite the right shape for your setup, you can still precisely control the cursor over a large monitor setup.

As far as how the colors on an Apple and Dell look, it's not very relevant how they look uncalibrated. It's more relevant to look at how easily each can be calibrated.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

I have a 20.1" WS Viewsonic that I love. Of my four monitors at home and work (ViewSonic, 20.1" Dell, 17" Dell, 17" NEC) The viewsonic is my favorite to work on.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I Just got my HP f2105 21" widescreen,

It's sweet!
    I love the extra screen space!
  • Options
    k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    monitor
    i just recently bought the 24" dell widescreen lcd and can honestly say after many many years of crt usage, im not really that impressed. dont get me wrong, it is a excellent monitor, but for image editing, im actually thinking of hooking my dual samsumg crt 19inchers back up. there recently was an article that was published in digital photo mag that claimed the dell lcd's were hands down the best and were good enough to replace your crt's.. i ihave to disagree with that. but N E Way to each his own. i have lots of desk real estate and space saving was not the reason for buying, i bought it strictly because i thought maybe it was time to upgrade???
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Truth can you happily say that you can do good colour editing on it ? I have my old fav 21" CRT Sony & whilst i love it...it is seriously just too bulky (its 2 feet deep) I always look at diff LCD's & can never say im happy with what i see.

I have not looked at the dell though. Maybe its time i tried looking at them again.

Gus........... Dell are supposedly moving to ChiMei Brand Monitors, it is only a rumour but I have read it on a couple of different sights now.... Skippy

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=3022
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    30" Cinema Display. It's the shizzy.

Not what I'd call "cheap" though mwink.gif