Come on DoctorIT...forget that sheet of A4

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 30, 2004 in Wildlife
Mt Tamborine is about 40 mins away from my place. Always about 22c (72f) on the rainforest floor & the bird calls i cant take a photo of for you mate. Hiked for maybe 5-7 miles a lot of it up hill so worked off the xmas love handles. My daughter loves the wildlife.

I really wish i could share the sounds in under the canopy of the running streams..waterfalls & birds.An awsome show.

The water is cold to drink & crystal clear...straight from the mountain.Thats not a flash shot by the way :scratch

13369302-M.jpg

13369309-M.jpg

This water is quite deep....beautiful & clear.

13369311-M.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Lots of huge trees...many slowly being swallowed by strangler figs.

13370493-M.jpg

13371151-M.jpg

Walked for hours through this jungle like forest...like being in an air-con'd room. Nothing but solid palm trees & figs. My camera just cant replicate the mood of the shot.

13371165-M.jpg
    edited December 29, 2004
    Had to believe that you get sick of looking at palm trees.

13371154-M.jpg

Got to the top & the falls.

13371161-M.jpg

Looking out over one of the falls...

13371488-M.jpg

We stopped & had a swim in this one.

13369788-M.jpg

13371163-M.jpg

13369778-M.jpg

Always a local turns up for a free hand out...share your sandwich & move away.

13369782-M.jpg
    edited December 29, 2004
    The Stinging Tree...

13369316-M.jpg

This stinging tree had fallen over a stream & we saw possibly the biggest spider i have ever seen on one of the leaves. Maybe 5-6" across with a massive body. I started to edge out to the spider along the tree when i slipped arse over & was headed for the water with my camera..what did i do ?? I threw my arm over the tree to stop hitting the water.

10 mins later i was wishing i had lost my camera in the drink. I was swelled up & covered in blisters & it felt like i was on fire. The pain is instant & long lasting...still burning now 12 hours later.

Beautiful light on its leaves though

13369314-M.jpg

13369305-M.jpg
    edited December 29, 2004
    Scrub Turkey...he ran straight past me by 5 feet to deal out some pain to another turkey that was on his patch. It was all i could do to pull the lens in & swing with him !!

13370505-M.jpg

Small township at the top of the Mountain

13370506-M.jpg

13370467-M.jpg
    edited December 29, 2004
    Talk you into next winter yet Doc .....deal.gif
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    WOW, you sold me, where is that? I need to get some plane tickets. Great series of shots!
  • hemispheredancrhemispheredancr Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2004
    Great shots. Makes me wish that I was somewhere warm. Though my fear of spiders may keep me out of those areas. Thanks again for the great shots.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Two things let me know right away, you're not from around these parts:

1.) No more drinking from streams around here, for fear of giardia, at least not with a good filter!

2.) A4. Had to think about that one before I realized you were referring to paper. It's 8.5x11 'round here, bub.

I really like this shot.
    Humungus wrote:

13369316-S.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Wow!!! What a great tour and picture story and some very impressive individual shots to make up that series. Really wow!
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited December 29, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Two things let me know right away, you're not from around these parts:

1.) No more drinking from streams around here, for fear of giardia, at least not with a good filter!

2.) A4. Had to think about that one before I realized you were referring to paper. It's 8.5x11 'round here, bub.

I really like this shot.
    Its doc way of saying...heres a shot of what its like outside the house at the moment..just hold up a sheet of white paper.

I assumed the world knew what A4 was..lol3.gif Must be a metric thing.

That water is straight from the mountain..nothing there to ruin it.

Thankyou all for having a look. There are maybe 15-20 of such places within an hours drive from me & i have walked 4 of them. One is about a 3000 foot climb & it may be next.
    edited December 29, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    WOW, you sold me, where is that? I need to get some plane tickets. Great series of shots!
    Here it is...actually you can hear all the birds on the site...they start when you open the web page up. You can even hear the Whip Bird...its the long whistle that gets louder as it goes...the female makes the long whistle & the male makes the whip crack at the end.

http://www.lanerealty.com.au/TamborineMt.html
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Its doc way of saying...heres a shot of what its like outside the house at the moment..just hold up a sheet of white paper.

I assumed the world knew what A4 was..lol3.gif Must be a metric thing.

That water is straight from the mountain..nothing there to ruin it.

Thankyou all for having a look. There are maybe 15-20 of such places within an hours drive from me & i have walked 4 of them. One is about a 3000 foot climb & it may be next.

I had actually seen the Doctor's comment, just took me a moment to put 2+2 together. Yeah, it's a metric thing. It's an option for me when I print, that's all I know.

The giardia--it doesn't matter where you are, it's carried in animal waste, and it's a blight on our landscape. You get very sick. Don't want to catch that. You're lucky. I could drink out of streams as a boy, before giardia. It's a cosmic pleasure.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    Geeze Gus, you didn't have to go hurtin' your arm on my account :D

I'm sold. Now all we need is a bake sale to fund the airfare... I'd love to mate. Have an uncle in Sydney who I've been promising to visit for about 15 years now umph.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

I'm sold. Now all we need is a bake sale to fund the airfare... I'd love to mate. Have an uncle in Sydney who I've been promising to visit for about 15 years now umph.gif

Doc - you can't go unless you take me with you!! I've wanted to go to OZ for 20 years and I may make it yet. We can rent motor bikes too, Right?

'gus - You ever been skiing at Punisher or Thedbo?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Doc - you can't go unless you take me with you!! I've wanted to go to OZ for 20 years and I may make it yet. We can rent motor bikes too, Right?

'gus - You ever been skiing at Punisher or Thedbo?
    Dont rent a bike...rent a bomby old car for $20/day & give it to me to get to work in & you can have my GS.... It is a right hand drive though so that may take a little getting used to.

rolleyes1.gif Punisher (maybe you ment that on purpose) Its called Perisher Blue or Blue Cow or Perisher Smiggins

No mate in my 41 years i have NEVER EVER seen snow :cry I have seen heavy frost on the ground & a few times i saw ice on a cars windscreen but snow ?...no. Jesus mate its 16 hours south of here & cold.
    edited December 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Still hurting mate..wild tree that one...& (cough) dont arrive here & tell 'em your here for a bake sale will you please ?

At least if you do...dont mention me in the same sentence. I dont want to be the prison photographer ok.

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 30, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Dont rent a bike...rent a bomby old car for $20/day & give it to me to get to work in & you can have my GS.... It is a right hand drive though so that may take a little getting used to.

rolleyes1.gif Punisher (maybe you ment that on purpose) Its called Perisher Blue or Blue Cow or Perisher Smiggins

No mate in my 41 years i have NEVER EVER seen snow :cry I have seen heavy frost on the ground & a few times i saw ice on a cars windscreen but snow ?...no. Jesus mate its 16 hours south of here & cold.
    i've got the perfect solution - we need to trade! You can roll around in the snow, and I'll soak up some rays! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    and I'll soak up some rays! :D
    Can you say mel-an-oma ? Were all covered in the crap.

We actually cover up like muslims most of the day Doc. Its generally the tourists sunbathing.