Options

SD to CF adapters

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited December 26, 2006 in Accessories
Does anyone know of/use a SD to CF adapter in their camera? Any you could recommend? Is it even worth it?

I am finding that CF cards are getting harder and harder to find and my new laptop has a built in SD reader. I would be nice to be able to use it but I may just get a Cf to PC adapter.
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    mrlarter wrote:
    Does anyone know of/use a SD to CF adapter in their camera? Any you could recommend? Is it even worth it?

I am finding that CF cards are getting harder and harder to find and my new laptop has a built in SD reader. I would be nice to be able to use it but I may just get a Cf to PC adapter.

Read here: http://www.mittoni.com.au/secure-digital-sd-to-cf-compactflash-card-adapter-type-ii-p-1238.html?currency=USD

Amazon used to have them ... but they are out of stock. Heard they were prone to not working, but that is hearsay. Never used one as there is really no problem at all finding CF cards in any size in most markets (even WalMart carries them and there is almost always a Circuit City or a Sams Club nearby not to mention newegg.com and other online vendors).
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 25, 2006
    I think CF will be around for quite a while.

8 Gb chips are available, and 16 Gb chips will be common by early 2008. My opinion - not a known fact, but a guess.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2006
    maybe its just where I live then. Future shop rarely has them any more and the local camera shop seems to have to order in anything special.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    I don't have a decent camera store in my area, so I buy my stuff on-line (usually through B&H). But, I find that I can get the CF from just about anywhere. My favorite is CostCo.com, but they don't always have the lowest price. The last set I bought (I bought 3 of the 2GB) from Staples when they were running their on-line special a couple or three weeks ago.

And, like Pathfinder says, I also believe they will be around for some time to come - as long as Canon/Nikon continue to use them in their higher-end cameras, there will be a demand for them. Where there's a demand, someone will supply.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2006
    Actually Futureshop has a boxing Day sale on for a 2 gig Ultra II CF card for $59.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0