Options

FOUND: Peleng 8mm Fisheye (for Canon)

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited December 27, 2006 in House of Canon
I'm looking for a used Peleng 8mm fisheye for my Canon 20D. Looking for a price around $200. The lens doesn't have to be perfect, I don't mind scratches on the barrel, as long as the glass is good and the lens has all the parts to it (the little filters needed in the back, cap, EOS adapter)
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I got mine off ebay. Priced around $250
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    The only ones I've found on eBay from looking over the past couple weeks have either beena fairly decent price (~$240) but have had insane shipping. ($30 for a package coming within the US?!) Or they have just been flat out expensive, along with expensive shipping.
    -Steven

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    Shipping might be high:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/487006/0#4199996

Maybe he still has it:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/479189/0#4120804

I got these colored filters with them. Just wondering what they do?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2006
    Item found. I decided to just go ahead and get one off of eBay for around $270.
    -Steven

• Options
    mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    Item found. I decided to just go ahead and get one off of eBay for around $270.
    I just ran a search on ebay for the lens and hereis whatI turned up"
    Peleng 8mm Fisheye Lens For CANON and For Nikon $229.00
    Buy It Now $249.00
    Shipping: + $30.00
    BestOptiks

BTW -- that is a NEW lens, not used.

Also try Kiev Camera. Mike Fourman, he charges $15 for shipping and carries the peleng and others. I've dealt with him and he is great, does his best to please and is honest. KIev Camera ias in Atlanta andhis Phone is: 770-409-0026
    Email: kievcamera@hotmail.com
    Web site: http://www.kievcamera.com/

I hope this helps. I didn't check out the price for the lens at Kiev Camera. BY the time you figure shipping from Russia in whatever you pay, I think Fourman might be cheaper.
    Michael
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    Yeah I checked Kiev Camera. I just went ahead and jumped on one from "kievmall" that was $250 with $20 shipping. It was a buy it now. Not to mention it is coming from Atlanta, GA rather than Russia.
    -Steven

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    Yeah I checked Kiev Camera. I just went ahead and jumped on one from "kievmall" that was $250 with $20 shipping. It was a buy it now. Not to mention it is coming from Atlanta, GA rather than Russia.
    Mate be sure to show us all what you can do with it...im interested in that lens.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    I definately will. I think I might be more excited to get this lens than the 100mm macro I bought!
    -Steven

• Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    I would not rec. this company to anyone.

"Kiev Camera"

And be glad you didn't buy from them. I bought mine from them off ebay.

Took them a month to get the lens to me. Way too long IMO.

Company is listed in Atlanta. I live one hour north of Atlanta. Even if he was drop shipping it should not have taken that long.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    I saw that "Kiev camera" was listed as being in Atlanta, but the lens was in Ukraine, so that's probably why it took so long, and also the reason why I didn't buy from that one! The person I bought from said that they will ship the lens 8 hours after recieving Paypal.
    -Steven

• Options
    edited December 24, 2006
    rex wrote:
    I would not rec. this company to anyone.

"Kiev Camera"

And be glad you didn't buy from them. I bought mine from them off ebay.

Took them a month to get the lens to me. Way too long IMO.

Company is listed in Atlanta. I live one hour north of Atlanta. Even if he was drop shipping it should not have taken that long.

I would recommend Kiev Camera to anyone. I bought the 16mm zenitar and got it next day. It just depends if he has it in Atlanta or if it has to come from Ukraine. Anything from Ukraine can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. They are slow and that is air mail too. That isn't Fourman's fault. I just sent my kiev 88 to him for repairs and he sent it to Kiev, Ukraine. He said it will be back in a month.

If you are in a hurry, don't buy Russian/Ukrainian lenses or cameras unless they are stocked in US.You can send an email to seller and ask if he has them in stock or from over there. Usually says on the auction where the equipment is, just got ta use your eyes.
    ========
    +++++++
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2006
    Well that's awesome to hear. On location it said Atlanta, GA so I guess I should recieve it this week. (hopefully!) I'm so excited to get this lens.
    -Steven

• Options
    edited December 24, 2006
    mikeb380 wrote:
    just got ta use your eyes.

Didn't say that anywhere. I just told you of my experience and I would not tell anyone to go threw them. Just my opinion cause I had a bad experience.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2006
    rex wrote:
    Didn't say that anywhere. I just told you of my experience and I would not tell anyone to go threw them. Just my opinion cause I had a bad experience.
    Rex, I wasn't pointing my finger at you. It is just that each auction at the top of the page tells where the "whatever" is located. Using that you can judge how long it will take. If it seemed personal, I'm sorry.

You asked what was the purpose of those filters in the package, The clear one is a UV filter and has to be in or else the lens won't focus. One of the colored will give you focus also, but one filter has to be there. In shooting B&W you can use them to give different effects. The yellow will bring out clouds more, a red filter much more than the yellow. Also in B&W the filters can alter grey tones to differentiate colors which look the same in B&W. i.e. a blue and a red might look the same in monochrome photo, change that with a filter. In color you can play with the filters to give different color casts to the pic. Does the same as putting colored gels in front of lights in a studio. Nice to play games with. They can also be used to alter product photography or even portraits. You can get many different color filters for almost every lens. Try shooting some glass bottles filled with water with the filters and change lights around to see different effects.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2006
    Never seemed personal . I was just stating it didn't show the location. Either way I talked to the guy on the phone and he kept promising that it had shipped. It took nearly two weeks for me to get it after he promised he had shipped it to me. Maybe I was a little short.

Thanks for answering the question on the filters. Now I know what they are for and can go play.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    Anyone care to help cure a part of my ignorance?
    Since this thread has not always been on-topic, please let me pose a question.

I've seen mention of this lens here and elsewhere and am wondering what significant advantage the 8mm fisheye has over, for example, the EF-S 10-22 (aside from the fact that the EF-S won't mount on a FF camera bodies).
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2006
    Since this thread has not always been on-topic, please let me pose a question.

I've seen mention of this lens here and elsewhere and am wondering what significant advantage the 8mm fisheye has over, for example, the EF-S 10-22 (aside from the fact that the EF-S won't mount on a FF camera bodies).

Scott, the major advantageis the difference in price between the Peleng and the Canon. Also it is a prime lens whereas the canon is zoom. That could give you a 4 degree advantage over the zoom. I haven't seen any tests but normally zooms are at best in the middle of their range. All the reports I've seen on the lens are pretty good. check Digital Photography Review. Kiev Camera web site has some reviews of the lens posted.
    Michael
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    mikeb380 wrote:
    Scott, the major advantageis the difference in price between the Peleng and the Canon. Also it is a prime lens whereas the canon is zoom. That could give you a 4 degree advantage over the zoom. I haven't seen any tests but normally zooms are at best in the middle of their range. All the reports I've seen on the lens are pretty good. check Digital Photography Review. Kiev Camera web site has some reviews of the lens posted.
    Michael
    All excellent points. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2006
    And the Peleng is also a fisheye lens, so it has a lot of distortion (on purpose). The 10-22 is rectilinear.

You can also use the fisheye lens on film bodies as with EF-S lenses you can't
    -Steven

• Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    You can stick that Peleng about an inch away from a coke can and capture the whole thing, it is crazy wide, the widest I have ever shot with.

Heres an example, inch away from that mouse. Shot with full frame Canon Elan II and some provia.

fisheyefullvigRS.jpg
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    Red Bull, I have the 16mm Zenitar and it is rectilinear and also 180 degrees coverage. Mounting either lens on a Digital body will make them 12mm and 24mm so you end with longer lenses. My 16 gives me wider coverage than a Sigma 28 - 80 and I think it is just has better coverage than the sigma. I'd like to use both on film camera to test.

I like the 16 as it is not prone to flare with the sun in middle of picture albeit low on horizon. My Sigma did have flare at that same location. I guess it can vary in lenses by the same manufacturer as I saw someone said he had lots of flair from his.It's too late tonight but I'll post one of mine so you can see it. I know it is different lens than you are looking for but it shows the Russian lenses are not trash.

Well, TA TA as they say somewhere or other.
    Michaelne_nau.gif
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8