Options

Made of money (split from: Close-Up Lens (Nikon))

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
edited December 30, 2004 in The Big Picture
PF, [hijack]are you using a ring-light?[/hijack]

ian
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    PF, [hijack]are you using a ring-light?[/hijack]

ian

Sometimes. 1drink.gif Sometimes not :D - sometimes I just use a 550EX. I tend to use a 550EX on the 180 and the Canon MR14-EX Ringlight on the 100mm macro.
    Why do you ask? Can you see a difference in the images?

The mantis WAS shot with the ringlight. I don't remember about the butterfly for sure, but I think it was shot with about -1 2/3 stops fill flash in back sunlight . The grass was shot without flash.

The MR-14EX is not as bright as the 550EX and that is why I tend to use the 550EX with the longer lens but that also depends on my mood and what I had to drink the night before and with whom and how that worked out and what kind of mood I woke up in and whether I had a good breakfast etc etc
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    oh great...something else to buy. :stfu

no. i'm going to resist. i'm going to keep my 100/2.8 macro lens in the bag until i figure out the latest purchase. that's right...it's tele pics for me for awhile. blbl.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    oh great...something else to buy. :stfu

no. i'm going to resist. i'm going to keep my 100/2.8 macro lens in the bag until i figure out the latest purchase. that's right...it's tele pics for me for awhile. blbl.gif

Fish - you and I started down this dangerous path together about a year ago. How much money have you and I poured into Canon's coffers this year. We ought to be major stock holders by now, shouldn't we?

Neither of us had any idea back then how expensive this all was going to become did we? :D:D But its been fun though....

• Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sometimes. 1drink.gif Sometimes not :D - sometimes I just use a 550EX. I tend to use a 550EX on the 180 and the Canon MR14-EX Ringlight on the 100mm macro.
    Why do you ask? Can you see a difference in the images?

The mantis WAS shot with the ringlight. I don't remember about the butterfly for sure, but I think it was shot with about -1 2/3 stops fill flash in back sunlight . The grass was shot without flash.

The MR-14EX is not as bright as the 550EX and that is why I tend to use the 550EX with the longer lens but that also depends on my mood and what I had to drink the night before and with whom and how that worked out and what kind of mood I woke up in and whether I had a good breakfast etc etc
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I think I can tell :D But I was more curious with the butterfly because it
    was backlit.

ian
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I think I can tell :D But I was more curious with the butterfly because it
    was backlit.

ian
    The butterfly bush sits on the eastern edge of my yard and gets very nice sidelighting late in the afternoon and frequently allows me shots of the flutterbys in back lighting which I like a great deal. 1drink.gif But fill flash helps some too then.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    The butterfly bush sits on the eastern edge of my yard and gets very nice sidelighting late in the afternoon and frequently allows me shots of the flutterbys in back lighting which I like a great deal. 1drink.gif But fill flash helps some too then.
    I know one thing. I like those macros a whole bunch better than mine thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I know one thing. I like those macros a whole bunch better than mine thumb.gif

Thank you very much.....You just don't see all the ones I delete and never post here tho :D

Post some of yours and let us have a look see 1drink.gif

• Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fish - you and I started down this dangerous path together about a year ago. How much money have you and I poured into Canon's coffers this year.
    Yes we did. I've spent way WAY more than I expected to. It all started innocently enough with an S400. Then 10D. Then 17-40/4L. Then a 550EX. Then a remote switch. Then 100/2.8 macro. Then Tamron 28-75/2.8. Then 70-200/4L. Then 24-70/2.8L. Then 20D. Then 580EX...and another 550EX...and a couple of stands and umbrellas. Then an LC-4 wireless setup. Then a 28-135 IS for fishwife. Then a 70-200/2.8L IS. And filters...let's not forget all the B+W and heliopan filters. Jeebus H. Christmas. I had no freakin' idea.

And then there are the Apple Macintoshes...Holy crap!

We ought to be major stock holders by now, shouldn't we?
    I dunno about "major", but my Apple investment doubled this year. Wish I would have bought a LOT more of their stock than of their computers. rolleyes1.gif I didn't buy any CAJ...did you?
    its been fun though....
    "I'm sorry, kids...you will have to go to Antelope Junior College, because daddy squandered your college fund on digital cameras and computers." :yikes

Hey...at least it's better than crack. With crack, I'd have spent the same amount and be dead with nothing for fishwife to sell. rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Yes we did. I've spent way WAY more than I expected to. It all started innocently enough with an S400. Then 10D. Then 17-40/4L. Then a 550EX. Then a remote switch. Then 100/2.8 macro. Then Tamron 28-75/2.8. Then 70-200/4L. Then 24-70/2.8L. Then 20D. Then 580EX...and another 550EX...and a couple of stands and umbrellas. Then an LC-4 wireless setup. Then a 28-135 IS for fishwife. Then a 70-200/2.8L IS. And filters...let's not forget all the B+W and heliopan filters. Jeebus H. Christmas. I had no freakin' idea.

And then there are the Apple Macintoshes...Holy crap!

I dunno about "major", but my Apple investment doubled this year. Wish I would have bought a LOT more of their stock than of their computers. rolleyes1.gif I didn't buy any CAJ...did you?

"I'm sorry, kids...you will have to go to Antelope Junior College, because daddy squandered your college fund on digital cameras and computers." :yikes

Hey...at least it's better than crack. With crack, I'd have spent the same amount and be dead with nothing for fishwife to sell. rolleyes1.gif

I did not buy any CAJ ( Canon stock ) I had thought about it but bought natural resource stocks instead. I did bag Apple about the time I bought MAC and that has worked out nicely.

You don't need a ringlight for the 100 macro - use your 580ex - it will do just fine - Put a diffuser over it if necessary - paper , cloth, used Sierra Pale Ale wrappers, whatever. :D

I started with a 10D and a nice little Tamron lens - but that investment easiy cost me 10x what I spent for it before I was done. And I don't think I am done yet. But digital photography has finally allowed me to make images like I wanted to 20 years ago in the darkroom printing Cibachrome and trying to figure out negative film printing. B&W I could do - but color negatives were trying.
    I can now make large 16x24 prints that are better than the Cibachrome I printed from Kodachrome slides years ago. I have waited a long time for this and I am enjoying it. My kids are grown so this is their inheritance I am spending. Sorry kids :D

• Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    Fortunately, the obscene salaries we get as Digital Grin moderators helps ease the financial burden. I can't wait to see what we're gonna get for xmas bonuses this year. ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thank you very much.....You just don't see all the ones I delete and never post here tho :D

Post some of yours and let us have a look see 1drink.gif
    There's a reason I don't post them :D They've all been flushed down the
    proverbial recycle bin rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    I am so not going down the 'how much' path. I no longer have the cab fare to
    get back rolleyes1.gif

ian
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I am so not going down the 'how much' path. I no longer have the cab fare to
    get back rolleyes1.gif

ian

plus you've got that telescope thing that dwarfs all...
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    fish wrote:
    plus you've got that telescope thing that dwarfs all...
    You know, we should bug AceRph about busting his out. I bet he lives in a nice
    dark place...that might work for some pitcha's.

Ian
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    You know, we should bug AceRph about busting his out. I bet he lives in a nice
    dark place...that might work for some pitcha's.

Ian

Indeed. No light polution in Eastbyjeebus.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    one year ago
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fish - you and I started down this dangerous path together about a year ago. How much money have you and I poured into Canon's coffers this year. We ought to be major stock holders by now, shouldn't we?

Neither of us had any idea back then how expensive this all was going to become did we? :D:D But its been fun though....

the only canon i owned was a rebel film slr. with a 2yr old dead battery in it lol3.gif

and then:

13422974-M.jpg

13422985-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    andy wrote:
    the only canon i owned was a rebel film slr. with a 2yr old dead battery in it lol3.gif

and then:

13422974-S.jpg

13422985-S.jpg

I had a Nikon N60 with travel zoom 28-300 f4.5-f6.3 before I bought the 10D and had an eye opening experience abut what was possible with digital photography and good quality lenses...

The problem is that the 10D just made me want more and more. Canon Optical must be really humming compared to three or four years ago. I am SURE the 10D is responsible for a big increase in sales for Canon lenses - both consumer and L glass. The posters on dgrin alone alone probably have helped Canon optical engineers to a big Christmas bonus this year! :D