Options

Looking for a LARGE bag

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited January 3, 2007 in Accessories
I've searched and searched and haven't yet found anything to hold the following:
  • Canon 20D
  • Canon 30D
  • EF 50 f/1.4
  • EF 85 f/1.8
  • EF-S 10-22
  • EF-S 17-55
  • EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS
  • EF 400 f/5.6
  • 580EX
  • Laptop (optional, but desired)
I need a bag that I can carry onto aircraft to get my gear to location. Once there, I will transfer stuff needed for immediate future to a smaller backpack, leaving the balance under lock & key.

So, backpacks, roll-aways, etc are all game. I just haven't found one yet that will fill the bill. It's the addition of the second long lens that seems to be causing me the problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 27, 2006
    With today's ever stricter carry-on policies, this is gonna be a tough one, no matter what the bag!

That being said, biggest bag I've ever used is the December Quarter (Crumpler). I've carried it several flights, both domestic and international. I'm thinking it could do it, as long as the 400mm itself isn't longer than the 70-200 mounted to a camera.

See my review here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1313290

In particular, see this photo. That's a 70-200 Nikkor ('bout same length) mounted on a D2H in the bag. There's definitely room for the 400 next to it, and you could shoehorn in the rest.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    For what you need, Pelican.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    For what you need, Pelican.
    that's probably the way to go... just make sure you get one that meets the size guidelines. You can't be sneaky with a hard case like that... where as with a softer bag, you can probably squeeze a bit and get away with a tad bigger.
    Erik

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Try the LowePro PhotoTrekker. I believe they market it as the largest bag they make that is 'carry on' compliant. However it does not have the laptop piece, so also look at the CompuTrekker Plus AW.

That said I bought the middle sized Tenba bag because it was the size of LowePro's Nature Trekker, but had a slot for a laptop. The large one holds up to 500mm on camera and 2 bodies. The one I got is very well balanced and comfortable fully loaded (laptop w/charger, 5D, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigma 19-35, 100 f/2, 50 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, EX flash, battery charger, hoods, supplies). I even had the 28-135 in but took it out, so I actually have extra space! I went for teh mid size vs the large because I fly a lot of regional jets where the larger 'compliant' carry ons have to be gate checked - this doesn't.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    The largest photography backpack I've ever seen is made by Mountainsmith.

It's either this one or this one.

I don't think it would have a problem holding all your stuff. Build quality seemed pretty good. The interior was cavernous.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Scott i have the crumpler (brians hot-tub now called the kalahari) & it would just about take all that. I have the same 2 bodies & 400 f/5.6 & 2 smaller lenses as well as 100mm canon macro & 135mm f/2 (both largish primes) & a 430 EX. I also carry a lot of other stuff in there like spare eye glasses...wallet...portable HD...phone...remote flash unit...lens cleaning kit...6 batteries etc etc. It has the option of a laptop but i dont use one thus i have removed its case from inside.

I also carry a manfrotto 190 & 222 ball head on the side of it.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    I have the Kalahari, Gus, and I would have to disagree.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I have the Kalahari, Gus, and I would have to disagree.
    Then all my gear listed above isnt in my bag headscratch.gif either that or the kalahari has been made smaller than its predecessor... 'brians hot tub'
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Take a look at Thinktank's backpacks. They seem to be designed specifically to hold a lot of stuff while traveling. I have not used or seen them in person.

I use a Tenba backpack when I travel and I can fit a lot in it. I don't know if it is a true airline size or not. ne_nau.gif I posted about it here.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I don't know if it is a true airline size or not. ne_nau.gif
    That's because someone's skeered of flying. wave.gif
    Erik

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Tamrac Super Pro 14

It's a huge bag -- but it might not be overhead bin-able for flying. It's also a shoulder bag-- which I prefer-- but you may not. I have the pro 12 by Tamrac and that one just fits in the overhead bins. But a Pro 12 won't be big enough for everything you want to carry.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Then all my gear listed above isnt in my bag headscratch.gif either that or the kalahari has been made smaller than its predecessor... 'brians hot tub'
    All I can say is that the Kalahari struggled mightily with a 70-200 2.8, a 16-35, 24-70, a 35 prime, a 135 prime, and a flash with a 5D body. The side "pockets" don't have uniform sizes, they get narrower on their bottom ends, making it harder to squeeze-in the lenses. Also, it really doesn't like the 1DmkII body, it's too tall,even if I remove the little "basket" designed to hold the body.

The Kalahari was a comfortable carry, but it holds less than the second-to-largest Tenba. I ended-up buying the largest Tenba as well, for those extra big load days.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Take a look at Thinktank's backpacks. They seem to be designed specifically to hold a lot of stuff while traveling. I have not used or seen them in person.

I use a Tenba backpack when I travel and I can fit a lot in it. I don't know if it is a true airline size or not. ne_nau.gif I posted about it here.
    Patch has successfully flown with the largest Tenba backpack.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    All I can say is that the Kalahari struggled mightily with a 70-200 2.8, a 16-35, 24-70, a 35 prime, a 135 prime, and a flash with a 5D body. The side "pockets" don't have uniform sizes, they get narrower on their bottom ends, making it harder to squeeze-in the lenses. Also, it really doesn't like the 1DmkII body, it's too tall,even if I remove the little "basket" designed to hold the body.

The Kalahari was a comfortable carry, but it holds less than the second-to-largest Tenba. I ended-up buying the largest Tenba as well, for those extra big load days.
    What im saying is that mine carrys the gear i mentioned in my post...so you cant disagree with me.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    gus wrote:
    What im saying is that mine carrys the gear i mentioned in my post...so you cant disagree with me.

I'm disagreeing that a Kalahari will carry:

* Canon 20D
    * Canon 30D
    * EF 50 f/1.4
    * EF 85 f/1.8
    * EF-S 10-22
    * EF-S 17-55
    * EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS
    * EF 400 f/5.6
    * 580EX
    * Laptop (optional, but desired)

No way, not mine. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm disagreeing that a Kalahari will carry:

* Canon 20D
    * Canon 30D
    * EF 50 f/1.4
    * EF 85 f/1.8
    * EF-S 10-22
    * EF-S 17-55
    * EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS
    * EF 400 f/5.6
    * 580EX
    * Laptop (optional, but desired)

No way, not mine. ne_nau.gif
    I disagree with your disagreement. You can always remove that top pocket inside for more room....meh ..only way to do this sort of thing when you are on your limits scott is to go to diff shops & try them.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I disagree with your disagreement. You can always remove that top pocket inside for more room....meh ..only way to do this sort of thing when you are on your limits scott is to go to diff shops & try them.

:lurk
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    gus wrote:
    nod.gif For sure.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Thanks to all for the many valid suggestions. There are a couple here that I will persue. I have the pelican 1510 (the largest that is airline legal - checked the dimensions against what the various airlines will allow). Right now I have the pluck-pull foam in it and I know it wont fit all the stuff in the list. I'm thinking I might get more "inside space" if I remove that and replace it with a padded pockets insert. I might be able to cram it all in there in a safe manner.

After that I will have to check out the other bag suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have any real camera shops in my area to shop. We have one wannebe and Ritz (yeah, that's the ticket!).
  • Options
    Eric HoffmanEric Hoffman Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Airport Security
    Hi Scott, I have purchased numerous camera bags over the past thirty years or so and have found this to be hands down the best bag of all.

It is (US) airline overhead compliant at 22x14x9 inches.
    It will hold everything you have listed and then some.

It has a lifetime warrenty, including the wheels (it's a roller bag).

The main compartment zippers have built in combination locks.

There is an attached steel cable you pull out, add a padlock, and secure the bag to an immoveable object.

It also has fold away backpack straps to use if travelling over rough terrain, though you won't want to use the straps for an extended amount of time as they are not as comfortable as purpose designed backpack straps on regular backpacks.

It comes with a rain cover.

The construction is top grade.

The only negative thing I can say about this bag is short supply as it is a very popular bag.

I am in no way connected to this company in any way whatsoever, except as an extremely satisfied customer.
    http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtScrty.php
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2007
    Hi Scott, I have purchased numerous camera bags over the past thirty years or so and have found this to be hands down the best bag of all.

It is (US) airline overhead compliant at 22x14x9 inches.
    It will hold everything you have listed and then some.

It has a lifetime warrenty, including the wheels (it's a roller bag).

The main compartment zippers have built in combination locks.

There is an attached steel cable you pull out, add a padlock, and secure the bag to an immoveable object.

It also has fold away backpack straps to use if travelling over rough terrain, though you won't want to use the straps for an extended amount of time as they are not as comfortable as purpose designed backpack straps on regular backpacks.

It comes with a rain cover.

The construction is top grade.

The only negative thing I can say about this bag is short supply as it is a very popular bag.

I am in no way connected to this company in any way whatsoever, except as an extremely satisfied customer.
    http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtScrty.php
    Thanks Eric. I will definitely follow this up. Their web-site indicates that there are a couple of brick-n-mortor stores in the DC area and I will be up in that neck of the woods in the near future. But, based on the web-site content, I think we may have a winner!
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    This is one of the camera bags that I have. This is what I take with me when I'm going to be away from home for an extended period of time.
    http://www.delsey-camerabags.com/view_product.php?productid=25

Until Santa brought me a 17" VAIO laptop this year, I would put my Dell laptop in the Delsey as well as all my photo equipment.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2007
    Treven wrote:
    This is one of the camera bags that I have. This is what I take with me when I'm going to be away from home for an extended period of time.
    http://www.delsey-camerabags.com/view_product.php?productid=25

Until Santa brought me a 17" VAIO laptop this year, I would put my Dell laptop in the Delsey as well as all my photo equipment.
    I have the big brother to that bag - had it for a couple of years. Even it's not quite big enough for all the gear I need/want to take. Thanks!
  • Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Scott, I dunno if it's been mentioned, but I got a first hand look at the Brazillion Dollar Home this past weekend. It's a MASSIVE BAG. You could EASILY put the biggest laptop I've ever seen in it with room to spare. You could also probably put a 300mm in there and still close it no problem.
    INSANE bag.
    $290 CDN.
    Just my 1/45,000 total bag cost ;)
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    not sur eif youre interested, but i have a Crumpler Schrinkle for sale. its pretty darn near new condition. pm me if youre interested ;)
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    not sur eif youre interested, but i have a Crumpler Schrinkle for sale. its pretty darn near new condition. pm me if youre interested ;)
    I thank you for the offer. Looking at the DGrin review (here) and another review on another forum, it appears it wont hold all the cr*p I need to carry with me on my upcoming trip.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Scott: Maybe you would consider two bags...which would make this easier, and likely more useful after the flight.

The Lowepro Computrekker will carry one body, plus the rest of the lenses, EXCEPT the 400mm. It will carry the laptop too. Then you have a body, 400mm and the flash that need a home, and a smaller shoulder bag might do nicely. You can even go for a larger Lowepro like the Computrekker Plus or larger, and still be a carry on. You could of course mix the leses up, putting the 400mm in the backpack and a few smaller lenes in the shoulder bag.

I like the Lowepro Computrekker Plus, and the Stealth Reporter 200 or 300 as a set for what you are wanting to caryy.

This would be far easier than one large bag that must be a carry on.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Scott: Maybe you would consider two bags...which would make this easier, and likely more useful after the flight.

The Lowepro Computrekker will carry one body, plus the rest of the lenses, EXCEPT the 400mm. It will carry the laptop too. Then you have a body, 400mm and the flash that need a home, and a smaller shoulder bag might do nicely. You can even go for a larger Lowepro like the Computrekker Plus or larger, and still be a carry on. You could of course mix the leses up, putting the 400mm in the backpack and a few smaller lenes in the shoulder bag.

I like the Lowepro Computrekker Plus, and the Stealth Reporter 200 or 300 as a set for what you are wanting to caryy.

This would be far easier than one large bag that must be a carry on.
    This might just work. I have a Delsey backpack that holds almost all my stuff. I can get another bag of some sort (and smaller) to hold the 400 and other incidentals. If I keep the 400 in it's case and put all that in the smaller bag, I'll have room for things like snacks, etc. I've been so focused on the "one bag solution" that I was failing to think outside the box on this one.

This may just be the solution I've been looking for!thumb.gif Thanks!

Doncha just love all the twisted postures one must assume just to apease the TSA gods?
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    I have the big brother to that bag - had it for a couple of years. Even it's not quite big enough for all the gear I need/want to take. Thanks!

Actually this is the larger of the two Delseys.