Options

10" Roll Paper on an R1800?

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited December 28, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
If I make my own roll paper holder, (Paper towel rack, or PVC) can I print BORDERLESS 10x10's on my new R1800 printer? The price is much more favorable for a 10"x100' roll then it is for a 13"x32.8' foot roll, that is for sure!

I have been dinking around with the color space that the printer prints from, and have not had time to dink with custom paper sizes yet.....

Thanks for all responses!
Mike
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 26, 2006
    bump...
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    I tried creating a custom paper size with my 2200 and it appears that you can do 10" borderless roll prints (at least on the 2200).
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Hi Mike,

There is no reason why you can't run 10" rolls. I'd be very careful of over-running onto the roller though.

I run an 1800 with Sawgrass sublimation inks. The mess an over-run could cause stops me even attempting your method.

Just make sure your all set to go correctly before you start your print run.

Good luck.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    Hi Mike,

There is no reason why you can't run 10" rolls. I'd be very careful of over-running onto the roller though.

You lost me here, I was going to try a custom paper size of say 10"x40" which would be within the 44" length epson says I can run.

Can you explain what "over running onto the roller" means?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    The "borderless" option intentionally sprays ink past the edge of the paper to ensure the ink really does go to the border of the paper. I stopped using it on my 2200 because it wound up cropping my image unevenly (especially if I put a border on the image in Photoshop), which I found quite irritating. I just about always use the "minimize margins" option instead, which gets close to the edge of the paper without cropping my image.
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Your milage must vary.
    The drivers for the R1800 tell me I can print to 129" on any paper width 12.9" or less under the 'user defined' entry on the paper size selection. I've used 4" and 13" paper for prints over 95" and on 8.3" paper I've printed up to 128". (Using Windows XP and printing from Picture Window Pro.)

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    dbd wrote:
    The drivers for the R1800 tell me I can print to 129" on any paper width 12.9" or less under the 'user defined' entry on the paper size selection. I've used 4" and 13" paper for prints over 95" and on 8.3" paper I've printed up to 128". (Using Windows XP and printing from Picture Window Pro.)

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com

I think the question revolves around whether or not it can print borderlessly at any paper size. For some strange reason, an awful lot of printers (seems to be older, lower end printers) limit what sizes can be printed borderlessly, so if you use a custom paper size you're stuck with white borders. My 2200 doesn't have that limit (from what I can tell) and it sounds like you're confirming it with the R1800 also.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Thanks Bob, I don't know why I couldn't envision the ink spraying past the paper last night.

I have found a place that will cut me 13" x100' Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper, for a nice price. I will end up with 2 13" rolls, and an 8.3" roll for just less then $200. That will be enough paper to last quite a while!

Now that I have time to play around a little, I can honestly say that I like this printer! I think for the money, I will just use the larger width, and not worry about creating a huge mess inside my new toy!

Thanks for the help!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix