Tripods

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited December 30, 2004 in Accessories
I'm in need of a new tripod, the canon I had pooped out on me, wouldn't get tight enough to hold my 70-200L.

So I'm looking at this setup:

Head - Bogen / Manfrotto 3030 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release - Supports 13.3 lb (6 kg)

Legs - Bogen / Manfrotto 3011BN Tripod Legs (Black) - Supports 13.20 lb (5.99 kg)

Total cost for setup is around $180

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    I'm in need of a new tripod, the canon I had pooped out on me, wouldn't get tight enough to hold my 70-200L.

Head - Bogen / Manfrotto 3030 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release - Supports 13.3 lb (6 kg)

Legs - Bogen / Manfrotto 3011BN Tripod Legs (Black) - Supports 13.20 lb (5.99 kg)

very similar to what i use: 3001B Pro legs and 329 rc pan/tilt head. love it.
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    very similar to what i use: 3001B Pro legs and 329 rc pan/tilt head. love it.
    Thanks Andy. Guess this order is on its way :)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004

I went the silver legged route. But otherwise, it's what I have and I'm happy.

If you're using it with heavy stuff, an oil dampened head is nice.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 29, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I went the silver legged route. But otherwise, it's what I have and I'm happy.

If you're using it with heavy stuff, an oil dampened head is nice.

Ian
    Thanks I didn't know the head was oil dampened.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    so so so....again, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Don't get a heavy pro 'pod if you plan to hike with it or strap it to the back of a motorbike. Don't get a tabletop unit if you want to use heavy long lenses with it. Don't get a pan/tilt head if you wanna be quick on the draw with candids and sports. Don't get a ball head if you need the horizon to be perfectly level.

I use...

Bogen 3021 legs w/ 3262QR ballhead mostly. I also have a Manfrotto 329RC4 pan/tilt head for portraits and landscapes. I'd have a bogen grip ballhead too, if that andy character didn't sell it out from under me :) I also keep a Bogen / Manfrotto 3007 Tripod with 482 Micro Ballhead around as a lightweight / on-the-motorbike 'pod. It's tiny, but it will support a 20D with smallish lens.

I use my tripods more than I thought I would but less than I should.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    Thanks I didn't know the head was oil dampened.
    The head mentioned here is not oil dampend. Dampend heads are usually
    used by the video folks to smooth out pans. If you want the feature, you're
    talking more money.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    so so so....again, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Don't get a heavy pro 'pod if you plan to hike with it or strap it to the back of a motorbike. Don't get a tabletop unit if you want to use heavy long lenses with it. Don't get a pan/tilt head if you wanna be quick on the draw with candids and sports. Don't get a ball head if you need the horizon to be perfectly level.

I use...

Bogen 3021 legs w/ 3262QR ballhead mostly. I also have a Manfrotto 329RC4 pan/tilt head for portraits and landscapes. I'd have a bogen grip ballhead too, if that andy character didn't sell it out from under me :) I also keep a Bogen / Manfrotto 3007 Tripod with 482 Micro Ballhead around as a lightweight / on-the-motorbike 'pod. It's tiny, but it will support a 20D with smallish lens.

It will be used for shot other then sports/action. Outdoor shots, nature, etc will be what the tripod will be used for. It will be carried on my Lowepro mini-trekker backpak
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    [/color]

That sounds about right for a lot of us I reckon!! 1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Don't get a ball head if you need the horizon to be perfectly level.
    I'd disagree with this one, Fish. You can get levels that slide into the flash slot. I think ballheads are the way to go, they provide maximum flexibility.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    I have the 3221WN legs & 3030 head. I do have a grip action ball head on my short list. I will probably pick it up in a month or so. The one I like is 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead

I also use the level that wxwax had suggested. Its the Bogen 2 axis hotshoe level

Dave