Options

The Photoshop Learning Curve

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited December 30, 2004 in Finishing School
Since Photoshop is something that one never truly masters, all of us are at some point on a great big learning curve. We all love the nice and easy areas of the curve... those wonderful times when we can apply a new technique to our work and be pleased with the results.

We all dread the times when the curve gets really steep... when there is some tool or concept that we just can't seem to get a handle on. The one good thing about the steep areas of the curve is that there is help out there. We can read books, search the web, or ask other Photoshopers. It make take time, but we know that eventually we'll 'get it'.

Right now, I'm in a third area of the curve - a flat spot :cry There aren't any major obstacles that I'm trying to get past, but I'm not making any progress. At the same time, I'm not happy with the quality of work that I've been doing. - Edit: After re-reading this, I realized that its horribly worded. What I wrote might sound like a statement that I've learned all that I can. That was not my intention at all.

So does anyone have any advice they would like to share on how to deal with the difficult areas of the curve - steep or flat?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 29, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Since Photoshop is something that one never truly masters, all of us are at some point on a great big learning curve. We all love the nice and easy areas of the curve... those wonderful times when we can apply a new technique to our work and be pleased with the results.

We all dread the times when the curve gets really steep... when there is some tool or concept that we just can't seem to get a handle on. The one good thing about the steep areas of the curve is that there is help out there. We can read books, search the web, or ask other Photoshopers. It make take time, but we know that eventually we'll 'get it'.

Right now, I'm in a third area of the curve - a flat spot :cry There aren't any major obstacles that I'm trying to get past, but I'm not making any progress. At the same time, I'm not happy with the quality of work that I've been doing.

So does anyone have any advice they would like to share on how to deal with the difficult areas of the curve - steep or flat?

So you're saying that you've mastered channels now too merging channels and layers and such?

I'm still playing with blending modes in layers - I realized somewhere that I did not always like the results of the shadow/highlight tool but that if I did it on an adjustment layer and then blended them like soft light that the results seemd more acceptable ne_nau.gif

What are you interested in pursuing now Cletus?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    So you're saying that you've mastered channels now too merging channels and layers and such?
    No, not at all...

I think those are all examples of stuff that never gets mastered. I think that what happens is that you learn new techniques, or become more familiar with them, but you never 'master' them. Right now I'm just not learning anything new. I know that I still have a lot to learn but I'm not making any progress.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I'm still playing with blending modes in layers - I realized somewhere that I did not always like the results of the shadow/highlight tool but that if I did it on an adjustment layer and then blended them like soft light that the results seemd more acceptable ne_nau.gif
    This is exactly what I need! I know I'm not happy with the quality of my Photoshop work, but I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to improve it. The obvious answer is that I need to concentrate on a specific area that I know I have trouble with. Here lately I've been jumping from one thing to the next. I'll work on one thing for a short time and when I don't see any improvement, I'll move on to something else. I need to focus in on one thing and keep after it until I make some noticable progress.

Thanks Path
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    I just need time infront of the keyboard. my biggest problem is trying to find time for it all. Then, of course when I find time, having an idea where to start... grrrr, Photoshop is so damn hard :-)
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    Anyone ever found a 'good' online tutorial for PS that they would like to share ?

Opening photoshop is like looking at a womans underwear catalogue when you were 7 for me.
  • Options
    danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    Photoshop
    Some freebies and $25 a month isn't too bad:
    http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modlisting.asp?modcategoryid=3

Danny.