Options

Alaskan Day Trip

PetersCreekPetersCreek Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited December 28, 2006 in Journeys
Saturday was to be a sort of getaway day for The Wife® and I...a day out of town, with an overnight stay at the Alyeska Prince Hotel in Girdwood. Then came a late notice reschedule of a senior photo session. It was actually kind of convenient, though. I was to meet my client at sunrise in Portage Valley, not too far past Girdwood. Then later in the day, I would check into the hotel. In between those two events, I had hours to kill and I killed 'em takin' pictures. It seemed like I drove and walked all over Portage Valley, Whittier, and Girdwood.

It started off as a cloudy, dreary, drizzly day but I managed to get fair selection of shots to wrap up the session. I found a hot cup of coffee (I'm treating a caffiene deficiency) and as I kicked about Portage Valley a bit, it opened up a little here and there allowing a few nicely lit landscapes like high glacier above and to the west of Portage Glacier.

97764829-S-3.jpg

At the end of Portage Valley is the tunnel to Whittier, a small community on Prince William Sound. It's bit of an experience driving through a mountain in this tunnel. Everyone takes turns. First, traffic into town. Then, traffic out of town. Then, the occasional train. It's a one-lane tunnel, you see. Photography conditions there were, shall we say, very atmospheric. It was much more overcast and drizzly but some of the clouds were low-hanging and dramatic. I love the water color in places like this harbor shot, where glacial silt gives it a unique green-blue color.

97764831-S-3.jpg

After exploring Whittier...and once the tunnel opened for outbound traffic...I headed for Girdwood. Still too early to check into the hotel, I decided to drive up Crow Creek Road. Now, this isn't an improved road. It's dirty, muddy, rocky, and rough, being filled with ruts and potholes in spots. And you know, it's a good thing, too. If I hadn't had to slow down, I might've missed seeing this small waterfall tucked into the woods above the road. It sure was small but it seems to pack a lot of beauty into it's small footprint.

97763637-M-3.jpg

Finally, at the end of Crow Creek Road, is the Crow Creek Mine. It attracts it's share of tourists but it's not just a trap. It's a working mine that panning enthusiasts frequent and it even has some historical value. For instance, this blacksmith shop was established in 1897 and is on Anchorage's historic register. Of course it didn't hurt my feelings that the light was wonderful in here.

97998575-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited September 27, 2006
    Nice series. The mine looks like it might be a great place to explore!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    I really really liked that B/W pic. The lighting WAS wonderful!
  • Options
    MrPeepers310MrPeepers310 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    I went to whittier last summer and i loved it there! We kayaked over to black stone basin where all the glaciers are. I went photo-crazy while i was in alaska and i cant wait to find a way back!
  • Options
    photo*smurfphoto*smurf Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Wonderful series. thumb.gif I especially like the mountain shot and the waterfall, but they're all really good. I've always wanted to visit Alaska.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Ah, it's great to see more Alaska pics popping up here. Thanks for sharing!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com