Options

Ocracoke, NC

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited January 2, 2007 in Journeys
Town population: 600 in winter, some 2500 in 'the season'. Everyone there knows everyone, of course. It's one of the most tranquil, relaxing places I've ever been, with great sunrises:
120278435-M.jpg
and sunsets:
120274493-M.jpg

One problem, or benefit, is that you must take a ferry to get to the island:
120278236-M.jpg
That means you can't just hop off a plane, rent a car, and get there, you have to time your arrival. Flying into Raleigh-Durham becomes a two day affair because of the 2.5 hour ferry that leaves only twice a day, but arriving at Norfolk means you can take a 20 minute ferry that leaves several times a day.

Of course, all of that peace can be troublesome, and cause some cabin fever. Eventually, people can see eye to eye, because there's no place else to go but to figure out your differences:
120270116-M.jpg

Our main reason for visiting the island is my grandmother, who's decided she's going to live there for the rest of her life. She's got an adorable dog, Lucy, (aka Killer) who will lick your face clean for you:
120272025-M.jpg

Time moves at a different speed there than in LA, and it's so much more tranquil. If it weren't for the 16 hours it takes to get there, I'd go there more frequenty-- but if it weren't for those 16 hours, it would be much more spoiled.

Last time I was there, I shot this walkway at sunset. Now, I got to shoot it at sunrise, and I still like the spot:
120278720-M.jpg

So, if you need a place to go, relax, and chill out, I highly recommend Ocracoke.

Thanks for reading, C&C welcome.

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Sounds like a fun place to me! Charlotte isn't too far away (not as far as L.A. anyway) - I hope to check it out sometime.

Thanks for sharing, and I, too, love the sunrise over the boardwalk.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    There are parts of the Outer Banks closer to me when I'm home in DC than when I'm at school near Charlotte. Still, beautiful, and I'll definitley go some time befor e I graduate.
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Thanks for responding, guys :D

A northerly approach is easier, as I said earlier, because the ferries to the island leave pretty regularly. But, if you're coming from NC, get to the swan quarter ferry by 5, otherwise you'll be spending the night there.