Options

Prices too High Question

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited January 3, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Have any of you been emailed stating your prices are too high and then asked why your work is so pricey?

I price my work for what I want from it based on what I spent on equipment and the time I take shooting. I have a day job, so if I'm not adjusting to the market, it's fine with me. But asking why I'm so pricey was a little weird. I'm not sure if the person wants a response like "I mix a little gold in the ink," or "I only use a camera blessed by the pope."

I already responded, but I'm interested in if anyone else has encountered this and how did they deal with it.

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Is this someone who is looking to hire you, or just buying images you have already captured?

I haven't necessarily run into this myself, but IHMO if they weren't interested in your work, I think they would have just moved on. The fact that they said something makes me think they are interested but maybe the type of people who feel they need to negotiate the price of things.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Too high compared to what? Did they say they wanted to buy a 4 x 6 for $.25 or a 8x10 for $3?

Yes, I've had people ask about my prices, but in almost every case, it was someone who thought they should get the photo for approx. the cost of going to Walmart ...

A family member of a recent Wedding I photographed figured that they should be able to buy their photos at cost. I refused and simply told them that each and every photo had been edited for maximum quality. In the end, this individual wanted something for free. All the other family members saw it differently ...

It comes down to expectations. Looking at your galleries, I would expect your customers should see the quality of the images. But of course that's just me (I'm one of the converted!!!). Unfortunately, there are those that don't put value on the skill (and investment) required to capture a photograph.

I didn't look at your prices, simply because that's your business. Sell them on the value and you'll be managing the expectations ...
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2006
    digismile wrote:
    A family member of a recent Wedding I photographed figured that they should be able to buy their photos at cost. I refused and simply told them that each and every photo had been edited for maximum quality. In the end, this individual wanted something for free.

My comeback to the idiots like this is to ask them something related to their work and giving it to me for free or at cost.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    Have any of you been emailed stating your prices are too high and then asked why your work is so pricey?

I price my work for what I want from it based on what I spent on equipment and the time I take shooting. I have a day job, so if I'm not adjusting to the market, it's fine with me. But asking why I'm so pricey was a little weird. I'm not sure if the person wants a response like "I mix a little gold in the ink," or "I only use a camera blessed by the pope."

I already responded, but I'm interested in if anyone else has encountered this and how did they deal with it.

Price in many cases is perception. What one person sees as expensive another sees as moderate, and from their individual view points both could be right, if there is a right or wrong.

Example of perception. I went to the San Jose Tapestry Arts Festival, and had the pleasure of talking to several fine art photographers. One I spoke with was the printer half of a photography fine art team. ( louiscantillo.com ) I thought the work was stunning. All the photos were printed on canvas, the details, and colors were exceptional. He took great pride in he and his brother’s work, and presented it in a professional manner.

The price for a 40 X 60 canvas print was $1495. While I don’t question the quality of their work, my initial gut reaction was this is expensive. I have since reevaluated my position. Patrons to the booth didn’t seem to blink at the price, and the vendor himself thought their work was moderately priced.

From my income view point I know what a 40 X 60 canvas print costs me, and if I could sell mine at this price, I would be ecstatic! But that’s not the point of this at all.

If you value art, the uniqueness of the piece your looking at, and have sufficient disposable income to purchase it, I believe you will have a different opinion with regard to the price, than one who does not.

That said, if you wanted to educate someone, you might try something along these lines.
    Question: Why are your photos so expensive?

Answer: Wow, I’m surprised. Most people have told me my prices are moderate, and I have strived to keep them affordable, so people who like them can afford to have high quality original photographs in their home to enjoy.

I have been working and studding photography for _____ years, and have thousands of dollars in equipment, with countless hours devoted to learning all phases of the process from getting that unique photo you like to processing, printing, finding and using the best materials to ensure your photo will last “60 to 200 years”.

While that’s nice to know, it’s not really important. If you find a photograph, painting, sculpture, or other art that speaks to you, that is something that will add to your life, and soul, that is important. It doesn’t matter if it’s mine or not.

I just received a timely phone call from a co-worker and friend. Another coworker talked to my friend Rose and told her she really liked my photo in the lobby and wanted to buy it but I was asking too much. Rose asked her how much I was asking and she said $500.00. Rose said wow! Coworker asked what do you men wow? Rose said that’s a bargain! She then proceeded to ask if she had ever been to any art shows or galleries, and informed her prices for something similar would run in the $800.00 to $1500.00 price range. The co-worker now has a different “perception” of the price than she had before.

It’s all perception. It’s up to us to create the right perception.

Sam
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Keith,
    Khaos wrote:
    ...I price my work for what I want from it based on what I spent on equipment and the time I take shooting. I have a day job, so if I'm not adjusting to the market, it's fine with me...

I personally do the same, only including the time I spent post-processing...

Due to the ongoing ubiquitous ads of the Casio-type P&S that all emphasize how easy to use those cameras are and "proving" it by showing some (unmistakeably pro taken) images purportedly taken by a total n00b with the camera in question, a lot of people are getting an impression that all our work is to press the shutter, and the rest is done automatically withing a few seconds.

As always, it's our job to educate our customer. It's a free market, and if they want to use your competitor or do it themselves - it's their money;-)
    I tend to explain in advance how much each job is and why it is that I want them to pay this amount of money.
    Not that I got every customer (as with you, it's not my day job, so I am not driven by the market), but at least I don't get a lot of "why" questions :):

EDIT: as Sam said, it's all in perception:-)

Cheers!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    I have heard it said if everyone likes your price you are too cheap. If everyone complains, you are too expensive. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot for pricing.

But that also means at least some are going to complain, so be ready for it.

When it comes to pricing, just like the song by Ricky Nelson:

"But it's alright now, I've learned my lesson well.
    "You see, you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    WenDellaWenDella Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2006
    Prices
    I have heard it said if everyone likes your price you are too cheap. If everyone complains, you are too expensive. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot for pricing.

But that also means at least some are going to complain, so be ready for it.

When it comes to pricing, just like the song by Ricky Nelson:

"But it's alright now, I've learned my lesson well.
    "You see, you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"

This is what I think if you don't mind my input - my prices are mine, they are not yours - I get to charge what I want - and it is worth whatever someone will pay for it each and every time. I am not dependent on selling my art to make a living at this time, so it does not bother me that it might take a while to sell something...but then again, the longer it takes, the more valuable the item becomes...especially if it is one of only a few. Don't worry, eventually it will sell and at the price you want. Patience :):
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Pricing
    I price my photos with a little fat in them and gladly give them a 10% discount on the print price on the basis of them picking it up at my framers.

I do this on the basis of no discount on a framed print.

After an explanation of the time,expense and hard footslogging with a ten kg pack( I do about 5-10 kms a day) I then offer to make a small discount to assist them in buying.

I also talk to them about how much pleasure and life they will get out of it and its scarcity.

First up ,offer 5% and see whether that is enough of a 'win' for them.Sometimes it is.If after that we get to 10% and we don't get anywhere that when the sad and pained face goes on and we either part ways or they feel guilty and cough up with the readies.

This sometimes helps makes the sale and gives my framer an opportunity to sell more expensive frames to them ,which keeps me good with him and helps me negotiate downwards with him.

The buyer eventually realises that it is they that now have to run around and that the framed print price was not so bad after all.This educates them.

For more established buyers(one fellow has bought 5 13X19 inch framed prints) I sometimes throw in a small unframed print of something they may like but have not seen yet, as free advertising.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    In my 10 years of being in the pro photog biz, I have only had one client complain about the price of the photo session. I charged everyone that day the same flat rate to be photographed with santa (who was 300 bucks an hour). I charged each client around 50 bucks for unlimited poses, in 30 minute time slots. One said "im not thrilled with the poses, I thought you would do more!" Mind you the child was 16 months, and of course, scared of santa and crying. So I did some individuals of the kid, and they seemed happy when they left the studio. Needless to say I took the risk and lost the customer, they are not worth my time, and its frankly insulting for someone to say my prices are high, when I know I am right in the middle, price wise. I sent the client an email with a link to the following site:
    http://brianx.com/lifestyle/photography-prices.html and now I post that same link on my website under F.A.Q. Read it whenever you have 10 minutes, it explains a lot!! and ever since I posted the link, NO MORE price questions/problems. They realize we need to make a living.

Just my advice.

Josh
    ---
    www.joshuawestbrook.com
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Khaos wrote:

I dont like discussing that sort of stuff with people...there is the photo & you either buy it or go & bother someone that is interested in your whining. Yeah i dont need the money...if i did need the money from photography then i would starve.

I had someone tell me they were prepared to pay me $22 AUD for 10 shots including the original dig files + they wanted me to send some straight to a sponsor to use.

I told him to get the yellow pages out & get a quote from any photographer to travel to a remote race track for a small event...sit in the aussie sun & dust all day getting skin cancer...eat hamburgers that satan made himself & if he got a price under $1K then take it.

Made my $100 sound ok after all.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    I received a call from a bride recently... she asked what she got for my flat rate wedding price of $899. That covers ALL DAY unlimited everything. When I told her that covered my day of shooting plus my day of creating her images and making her an online album, she was upset. She didn't understand why the $899 didn't inlcude all the photos and leather albums. Yes that was plural!

She kindly hung up on me.

My rate is very low considering everyone around me.

IMO: You need to price it at what "you" think it's worth. They buy it or they don't. I find that many of the brides always want it all for free.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Does this help? This is an FAQ I created for family members... I think it could easily be altered for customers that question my pricing - and I'll probably do that if I ever get asked!

HTH!

http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/2157565
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    JDub wrote:
    santa (who was 300 bucks an hour). I charged each client around 50 bucks for unlimited poses, in 30 minute time slots.

$300 an hour for a Santa, and only $50 for a thirty minute session? That is a loss of $200 per hour....I hope you made some money on the prints.

The link you listed didn't take me anywhere either....ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Jeffro- santa was free to me only/TFP, but he normally charges 300/hr. He is my cousin's dad. My print orders from the seven clients I had, made me around a grand, good print orders.
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    I received a call from a bride recently... she asked what she got for my flat rate wedding price of $899. That covers ALL DAY unlimited everything. When I told her that covered my day of shooting plus my day of creating her images and making her an online album, she was upset. She didn't understand why the $899 didn't inlcude all the photos and leather albums. Yes that was plural!

She kindly hung up on me.

My rate is very low considering everyone around me.

IMO: You need to price it at what "you" think it's worth. They buy it or they don't. I find that many of the brides always want it all for free.

Your price is very reasonable. When she gets the $2,000 - $5,000 price quote for packages with albums, then she will understand how reasonable you are. Or she may find a rookie for super cheap. Never know she maybe looking for super cheap. They are out there and not picky about the results.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Your price is very reasonable. When she gets the $2,000 - $5,000 price quote for packages with albums, then she will understand how reasonable you are. Or she may find a rookie for super cheap. Never know she maybe looking for super cheap. They are out there and not picky about the results.

Or, worse, they are cheap AND picky! rolleyes1.gif