Options

tubed prints

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Any of you pros that sell prints you get from smugmug have a good suggestion on how to safely unroll a tube'd print so as to not destroy it? and eventually get it flat enough to mount, mat and frame?
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Any of you pros that sell prints you get from smugmug have a good suggestion on how to safely unroll a tube'd print so as to not destroy it? and eventually get it flat enough to mount, mat and frame?
    Sure.

1) open tube VERY carefully

2) remove the rolled print VERY carefully. Be SURE that the staple that holds the tube cap is REMOVED from the tube

3) now remove the rolled print from the protective plastic sleeve

4) put in between pieces of CLEAN foam board. Weight them down with some big flat books. I use some of my photo books.

5) wait 24 hours. The print should now be flat for mounting.

6) if the print has stayed rolled a long time, it's possible it might need the REVERSE rolling technique - if you do this, be VERY careful.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sure.

1) open tube VERY carefully

2) remove the rolled print VERY carefully. Be SURE that the staple that holds the tube cap is REMOVED from the tube

3) now remove the rolled print from the protective plastic sleeve

3.5) drool at the image quality, but try not to get it ON the prints.

4) put in between pieces of CLEAN foam board. Weight them down with some big flat books. I use some of my photo books.

5) wait 24 hours. The print should now be flat for mounting.

5.5) laugh hysterically at the "inspected by #69" slip that fell out of the roll when you were opening it.

In all seriousness though, what you suggested above is exactly what I had already started on, good to hear I was headed in the right direction.

6) if the print has stayed rolled a long time, it's possible it might need the REVERSE rolling technique - if you do this, be VERY careful.

That's the one that scares me. A lot. That's where I've had to go in the past (not with prints from EZprints, but from other places). I'm DAMN GLAD the prints were in an inner bag inside the tube! I arrived home from a long weekend to find the tube standing next to my door, covered in snow. This was Monday night. It had to have been there at least since Saturday. I also appreciate that they used a much larger diameter tube, 3" from the looks of things.

oh well, off to:

7) wait for frame vendor to ship frames/plexi so you can finish this project. The speed of smugmug/EZprints once again amazes me, and shows the other vendors I order from as the weak links in the supply chain. iloveyou.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Humidification for unrolling very old documents
    On a related topic, here is a reference from the National Archives and Records Administration for unrolling very old documents using humidification techniques to minimize damage. It primarily applies to paper documents, but has special notes near the bottom regarding photographs.

Of course this technique would be overkill for your situation. I just thought I should post it as a useful reference if anyone had very old family photographs to unroll. In my case, I have to unroll some tightly wound old family documents and photographs without causing any creases. They're not so valuable as to require a professional archivist's services, but I don't want the family wrath upon me if a screw up. :toni

Mike
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    I'd also add to that the need to wear some sort of glove. Framers usually where a soft cotton felt type but I've found the your basic disposable surgical type glove will work fine. In a pinch I've also found that a good washing in dish soap (it removes oils) just prior to handling will help to reduce the chance of leaving a fingerprint.