Here.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 8, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks for the link, David. Looks like useful info. Hope it's not too late rolleyes1.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Good info. I can certainly vouch for the KHypermedia rating (listed as actually CMC--3rd class). All burns good, yet within 18 months 100% failure rate. Fortunately with good recovery software, lots of time & patience can recover the data. However, the remainder of the spindle found its way to the round file unburned. I only use TY now, and don't really trust them either.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Related Article...
    How To Choose CD/DVD Archival Media [adterrasperaspera.com]
    Chris
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 11, 2006
    Good resource, David. I've been using Taiyo Yuden DVD's and haven't had a problem yet.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    yeah, avoid KHypermedia like the plauge
    Good info. I can certainly vouch for the KHypermedia rating (listed as actually CMC--3rd class). All burns good, yet within 18 months 100% failure rate.

Your results with them are better than mine. After sending Kingston Technologies an email bemoaning the lack of quality I got a phone call from their legal department, asking about the media, where I got it, what the packaging looked like, etc. They were apparently pursuing legal options against these guys for falsely pretending to be a branch of their company.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2006
    headscratch.gif Good luck with them? You noted the subsequent 100% failure rate I had? gerg.gifsplat Yep, avoid them like the plague. A pox upon KHypermedia.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    headscratch.gif Good luck with them? You noted the subsequent 100% failure rate I had?

Yeah, but you still had better luck than I did... I could literally watch the burn fade away over the course of a few hours. By the next day there was nothing readable on the media and you couldn't even see any evidence that it had ever been burnt. And that was only if you burnt at 1x.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2006
    eek7.gifwow OK, that IS really, really bad. Wow. What's really amazing is someone had the balls to put a product that completely defective on the shelf and take money for it.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    Here's a good read on this subject of media.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    I meant to post a while ago, that this is a valuable thread. Thanks David.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au