Options

Questions about exhibiting at art fairs

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey folks- my "partner in crime" (another photographer) and I are thinking about getting involved in some of the more upscale arts and crafts fairs in North Jersey (particularly these fairs).

Does anyone here have any experience with fairs like this? If you do, (or even if you don't) I have a few questions:

1- how does one get digital prints transferred to 35mm slides for submissions to juries that are obviously locked in the stone age?

2- where is a good place to purchase a "booth" for these kinds of shows? (It appears that you ahve to provide your own, and it must have a white awning.)

Thanks,

Ryan
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    RetaggerRetagger Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Original Files
    Hello Ryan,

I don't know anything about the art shows that you mentioned but I did visit your website on Smugmug
    and I found that you are letting anyone and everyone view your "Original" full size files. Anyone can open the original file and save that file - all without paying for it. If I were you, I would turn off the original file and watermark your files.

Regards,
    David
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Justiceiro,

I have been doing some research in this area as well. First you need to look into the laws of your state with regard to a resale license, business license, Fed tax ID number, etc.

I think most shows today will accept photos, or in some cases even digital files. Even if they state they want slides, I would call and discuss it with them, or start with a different show. The link you posted has the term slides/photos, indicating they accept ether.

Be prepared for a substantial outlay for display racks, canopy, etc., plus all your prints, matting, clear plastic bags, and frames. I have calculated at least $3000.00 to get to the first show. You may end up with a different number. A really good waterproof canopy designed to last will run you about $1000.00. A cheap one from Costco might run as low as $119.00. Some shows will require a high end canopy, and will not accept the cheapies.

Here are some links for display equipment.

Sam

America's Finest Art Festivals from ArtFestival
    ARMSTRONG PRODUCTS INC
    Art Display Essentials

Propanels Professional Panels for Professional Artists
    16x20 Display Bin

JORDAN SPECIALTY DISPLAY BINS MENU COVERS PRINT HOLDERS BONDSTAR PRESENTATION

Canopies and Display Products by Flourish Company

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Wow Sam...
    I had no idea these street fair vendors had so much invested. I had no idea those canopies cost so much either. I have a better appreciation of the street vendors.

I've never considered being a vendor, but after reading this input, I'm glad I haven't.

Oh, and excellent advice on the resale license, etc. Wouldn't want Justiceiro getting in trouble with the IRS and his State sales tax.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    Thanks for the info everybody. Particularly the heads up on the "originals." I thought I had done bulk setting for my whole site, but obviously not.

This sure is a lot of money. I'd have to sell a good amount to get back my investment, and it seems that most everybody sells their 8x10s for about $35. That's not a lot.
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    slides.com
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Hey folks- my "partner in crime" (another photographer) and I are thinking about getting involved in some of the more upscale arts and crafts fairs in North Jersey (particularly these fairs).

Does anyone here have any experience with fairs like this? If you do, (or even if you don't) I have a few questions:

1- how does one get digital prints transferred to 35mm slides for submissions to juries that are obviously locked in the stone age?

2- where is a good place to purchase a "booth" for these kinds of shows? (It appears that you ahve to provide your own, and it must have a white awning.)

Thanks,

Ryan

To get from digital to slides, try slides.com

Their inteface is archaic, their customer support is sketchy, but they get the colors right more than any of the other cheap digital to slide companies I've used on the web.

-Trish
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    This sure is a lot of money. I'd have to sell a good amount to get back my investment, and it seems that most everybody sells their 8x10s for about $35. That's not a lot.

But, (the big but), once armed with a DBA/Corp and a Federal ID # you are now a business and can write off your equipment, cost of the license(s), booth w/ the white awning and even travel expenses for at least three years before you have to show a profit.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    EZ-up is an inexpensive and extremely strong white pop up canopy...can actually be set up by one person and that is the canopy of choice by most art & craft vendors that travel thru this part of the mid west. I spent most of last summer checking out ever art show and fair that I could to see what was being used myself and EZ UP was the one I saw the most....a few very few used large white canvas tents...but even the jewelry artists used the EZ UPs.

Pricing runs from a couple of hundred on up..depends on size and also the retailer.

I have seen many setup with holes drilled in the legs to run very small plastic coated cable thru to hang photos and paintings from for display, I have seen them with chicken abd welded wire to hang their goods from....

Some even come with snap on sides if you want to be enclosed...however most just use a white tarp attached as their are much cheaper and easier to replce if needed while on the fair road.

God luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    thanks so much for the info guys!

I guess I should get the tax setup soon, so I can write off my upcoming mack purchase. That should ese the financial pain a bit.