Things to do in Denver....

2»

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Charla-How about sharing some of that snow with us midwesterner's? I sit hear in Illinois, just 90 miles west of Chicago, and it's more like spring. We've had sun, and warm temps....like 50, several times. It's a very weird "winter" We had one snowfall, got 18" in one day. Things were a mess. I liked it, even though I was without my Jeep...at the time. I'd go for another foot or so anytime. I don't want the usual January deep freeze though. I have no use for 30 below zero temps.

Let us know when it melts.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Charla-How about sharing some of that snow with us midwesterner's? I sit hear in Illinois, just 90 miles west of Chicago, and it's more like spring. We've had sun, and warm temps....like 50, several times. It's a very weird "winter" We had one snowfall, got 18" in one day. Things were a mess. I liked it, even though I was without my Jeep...at the time. I'd go for another foot or so anytime. I don't want the usual January deep freeze though. I have no use for 30 below zero temps.

Jeffro you're in luck! It just so happens I have a huge pile of white *censored* right in front of my house that I'll send to you for free-- just pay shipping. And for anyone else wanting snow, we're overstocked and expecting more.

Charla I gatta tell yah-- I'm a little thin with this wintery weather. And now we have avalanches happening in the mountains-- it is becoming unsafe and quickly.

Why just yesterday we had 5 inches of snow and it shut everything down becuase the snow had nowhere to go!

I also paid a trip to Denver today (Saturday) and I have to say the side streets are horrible! Ours are bad-- but the streets I drove were unsafe for my car-- so we quickly got back to heavier-treaded streets and went home.

New predictions are coming in for the greater Colorado area for this next coming storm. Our folks in Pueblo weather station are saying this could be another foot of snow for many people.

May God help Colorado...and all who sail in her! Now pass me the margy mix.thumb.gif

Avalanche sweeps cars off Colorado highway
    edited January 7, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Hey Charla I am with you on the cookie cutter houses. All the nieghborhoods around here look the same. I took a look at your pictures and said 'hey, that looks like my neighborhood. Snow and homes". Coming from the South it was quite a shock for us. I thought Denver...hurray...I'll have some land with my house. Boy was I wrong and also it was sticker shock for us coming from SC.

Well the hole in the ceiling is still there along with snow blowing through it today. Just put a huge bucket under it.:cry Contacted a roofer and said this is very common and he had 4 other calls today about the same thing. Well I am glad to know that I at least have a commom problem and not an unusual one.

I am about sick of this stuff. Our cul-de-sac still looked bad a few days ago as it has not been plowed yet and definitely much worse today. Didn't even try to get out let along take any pics.

I know-- but this is my house-- and there are many like it-- butt his one is mine. Laughing.gif Feeling a bit of Full Metal Jacket coming on....

Anyway-- yeah our house was not cheap-- in fact we're planning to sell it come spring-- right around the time Fort Carson is expecting to get their first wave of new soldiers in-- and since there aren't enough homes to put everyone, I'll gladly sell mine. My wife and I want to be closer to Denver. First, she's originally from there and second, we'll be closer to work. We'll probably have another cookie-cutter house-- but if we can at all avoid that we will!!!!! We've already found some 80's era homes that need a lot of updating and a good vision. Now all we need to do is sell this one!deal.gif
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:

Jeffro - Like David said we'd be more than happy to share. Just come and get all you want!

My husband was supposed to race a Hare Scramble today but that was nixed because the track is still buried. They're hoping for next weekend but that's probably not looking good either.

It really hasn't been horribly cold the last few weeks but the wind has been kicking up this weekend and the wind chills are getting pretty bad. Dang near froze my ears off walking back from my mailbox yesterday!
  • rdegrordegro Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Charla wrote:
    Hey Rene! Welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif
    Glad you finally signed up :D

Yep, third storm in 3 weeks and they're already predicting another storm next week. Man am I getting tired of seeing all this white stuff around!

Thanks for the welcome Charla, I'm trying to get some time in here at DGrin.
    Rene

To be heard you must be seen!
    edited January 7, 2007
    davidryan wrote:
    Jeffro you're in luck! It just so happens I have a huge pile of white *censored* right in front of my house that I'll send to you for free-- just pay shipping. And for anyone else wanting snow, we're overstocked and expecting more.

Charla I gatta tell yah-- I'm a little thin with this wintery weather. And now we have avalanches happening in the mountains-- it is becoming unsafe and quickly.

Why just yesterday we had 5 inches of snow and it shut everything down becuase the snow had nowhere to go!

I also paid a trip to Denver today (Saturday) and I have to say the side streets are horrible! Ours are bad-- but the streets I drove were unsafe for my car-- so we quickly got back to heavier-treaded streets and went home.

New predictions are coming in for the greater Colorado area for this next coming storm. Our folks in Pueblo weather station are saying this could be another foot of snow for many people.

May God help Colorado...and all who sail in her! Now pass me the margy mix.thumb.gif

Avalanche sweeps cars off Colorado highway

David - I saw the news yesterday about the avalance. Thankfully no one was killed and only one person was still hospitalized as of yesterday.

I-25 was also closed again yesterday from Colorado City to Trinidad due to ground blizzard.

I had to go to Costco yesterday to do some grocery shopping and the normally packed parking lot was about 15% smaller than usual because of all the snow stacked up, plus it was all slushy and icy. I actually got my shopping cart stuck in the snow! A nice man had to help me push my cart to my car. ('Course it didn't help that I was carting 52lbs of dog food!)

We're still trying to maintain a positive attitude about all the snow. Planning to go do a little sledding in a bit so that should be fun. So far the worst of my inconvienences was being charged 12 hours of vacation time for the work that I missed. Have to say I'm very thankful that everything has gone well for us so far.

I'll probably post a few more pics later this afternoon.
    edited January 7, 2007
    davidryan wrote:
    I know-- but this is my house-- and there are many like it-- butt his one is mine. Laughing.gif Feeling a bit of Full Metal Jacket coming on....

Anyway-- yeah our house was not cheap-- in fact we're planning to sell it come spring-- right around the time Fort Carson is expecting to get their first wave of new soldiers in-- and since there aren't enough homes to put everyone, I'll gladly sell mine. My wife and I want to be closer to Denver. First, she's originally from there and second, we'll be closer to work. We'll probably have another cookie-cutter house-- but if we can at all avoid that we will!!!!! We've already found some 80's era homes that need a lot of updating and a good vision. Now all we need to do is sell this one!deal.gif

So you guys are commuting to Denver from the Springs?? I wouldn't want to do that in good weather!

What areas of town are you looking in? Lots of nice redevelopment going on in the Stapleton area but it would all depend on where you work I suppose :D
    Good luck on your house hunting!
    edited January 7, 2007
    Charla wrote:
    So you guys are commuting to Denver from the Springs?? I wouldn't want to do that in good weather!

What areas of town are you looking in? Lots of nice redevelopment going on in the Stapleton area but it would all depend on where you work I suppose :D
    Good luck on your house hunting!

Yeah-- it's not been fun! The Springs is nice and all but the job market here stinks-- unless your military or one of the many contractors that works for the military, there isn't much here.

As for work, my wife doesn't much care where we live as she doesn't forsee working much longer as she'd like to start adding to our family and would like to stay home with the kiddo. As for me, if all works out as I hope it will, I'll work for United, and at first mostly at the Training Center at MLK Blvd and Quebec. Still working on that, though *fingers crossed reeeeeally hard*
    edited January 7, 2007
    davidryan wrote:
    Yeah-- it's not been fun! The Springs is nice and all but the job market here stinks-- unless your military or one of the many contractors that works for the military, there isn't much here.

As for work, my wife doesn't much care where we live as she doesn't forsee working much longer as she'd like to start adding to our family and would like to stay home with the kiddo. As for me, if all works out as I hope it will, I'll work for United, and at first mostly at the Training Center at MLK Blvd and Quebec. Still working on that, though *fingers crossed reeeeeally hard*

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too! :D
    edited January 7, 2007
    I took a few shots of the roads and such when I went out yesterday.

Here is one of the hundred or so mounds of snow that was removed from the streets in my neighborhood. I couldn't get a good view of the whole field but this is a bit of an illustration.
    PICT0185_edited-1.jpg

This is what all the gutters are starting to look like. Very nasty. Gutters are the low point of the street anyway then add several inches of ice to either side and it gets pretty difficult to cross. Took me a few seconds to figure out how to cross this without stepping into a 3 inch deep icy cold puddle of slush! headscratch.gif
    PICT0206_edited-1.jpg

PICT0208_edited-1.jpg

Ok now for the fun stuff. We went down the street to the park to do a little bit of sledding. We quickly discovered that the plastic of our sleds was not smooth enough to get good speed so a little sled modification was needed. :D

Partick catching some air.
    PICT0241_edited-1.jpg

Cain got a few runs in (before he decided to be a whiny brat)
    PICT0251_edited-1.jpg

PICT0282_edited-1.jpg

Some other kids catching some good air.
    PICT0288_edited-1.jpg

PICT0267_edited-1.jpg

Patrick catching some more air :D
    PICT0298_edited-1.jpg

PICT0299_edited-1.jpg

PICT0300_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    edited January 7, 2007
    Oh I forgot to mention....

Holding an expensive camera is great incentive for your husband to not tackle you in the snow!

Just before we left I did let him convince me to put the thing down so that he wouldn't feel deprived of the experience. Sorry no pics of me being tackled and snow shoved in my face. eek7.gif