Options

Tee Shirt graphic design assistance sought!

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited January 8, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Some may think this is a bit corney - but I am pretty new to selling my photos so my goal for 2007 is to really get my name and web site well know in the area. I will be the officiaL race series photographer for a regional mouintain bike race series in my area. I'll be able to post my SM site link on the race website, trying to get some posters I make as year end awards that the series will buy from me, etc.....but I want to try and get some other business as well from being at these events. One idea I have is to get some tee shirts with a photo design printed on it (like a mobile business card) that I will wear at the races to promote my web site. Thing is I really have no idea how to design something like this. Should I just use my current business card and make it vertical? I would really like to try and do something snazzy - along the lines of some postes I design.

Has anyone done something like this that they can show an example....
or do you have any ideas?

See my current business card below.
here is a link to some posters I have been doing - cut-outs, etc
http://www.mlkimages.smugmug.com/gallery/2246136

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Some may think this is a bit corney - but I am pretty new to selling my photos so my goal for 2007 is to really get my name and web site well know in the area. I will be the officiaL race series photographer for a regional mouintain bike race series in my area. I'll be able to post my SM site link on the race website, trying to get some posters I make as year end awards that the series will buy from me, etc.....but I want to try and get some other business as well from being at these events. One idea I have is to get some tee shirts with a photo design printed on it (like a mobile business card) that I will wear at the races to promote my web site. Thing is I really have no idea how to design something like this. Should I just use my current business card and make it vertical? I would really like to try and do something snazzy - along the lines of some postes I design.

Has anyone done something like this that they can show an example....
    or do you have any ideas?

See my current business card below.
    here is a link to some posters I have been doing - cut-outs, etc
    http://www.mlkimages.smugmug.com/gallery/2246136

Thanks,
    Michael
    I really like your posters.

I'm not sure if you have addressed this, but make sure you have the necessary releases signed by the individuals and sponsors. Most of the top competitors in all sports are media savy and aware of when they should be compensated for the use of their likeness.

That said, I would suggest designing a logo that is easily recognizable from a distance. That would require a bold graphic image. Bright, contrasting colors work best. A busy image usually only works closeup and a shirt is not the best canvas for a lot of small detail.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Your posters are better than your business card. Your business card is loose and unfocused, IMO. You could do much better with the design. One thing to do is to start educating yourself about design. I've been really enjoying learning about it and putting into practice what I've been learning. I'm in the process of creating a mini 3-fold brochure, business card sized.

I highly recommend the book The Non-Designer's Design Book. It's been really helpful to me. It's a quick, easy and informative read.

I also just found (via a posting here on dgrin) bamagazine.com. That's what got me started on the logo I made from the letters of my name, and on the tiny brochure. Tons of great advice there.

So, I agree. Come up with a great logo. Do that first, and see what comes from that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops