Options

standard sizes to make all print and digitals available to buyers

TerryPTerryP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited January 10, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I will assume from what I read in Help that the absolute smallest picture I can upload to make ALL print sizes and ALL digital sizes available to the public is 1920 x 1280 at 72dpi.

I just wanted to verify this factoid before I go through my entire site and replace smaller sizes with original sizes from my hard drive.

Thanks for the help.

Terry

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    DPI is meaningless. Upload that size though, and you'll be fine. Don't forget to set your galleries for PROOF DELAY thumb.gif

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    72 dpi is a monitor (fake) dpi number. You'll want much more for it to print well (200-300 dpi unless you're printing huge).

Just upload the highest resolution you've got - no such thing as overkill! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    72 dpi is a monitor (fake) dpi number. You'll want much more for it to print well (200-300 dpi unless you're printing huge).

Just upload the highest resolution you've got - no such thing as overkill! mwink.gif

But I thought 72 dpi didn't matter in the smugmug world. Don't the various printers smugmug uses resize and resample up to their needed dpi? I thought that's what I read in Help.

Terry headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    TerryP wrote:
    But I thought 72 dpi didn't matter in the smugmug world. Don't the various printers smugmug uses resize and resample up to their needed dpi? I thought that's what I read in Help.

Terry headscratch.gif
    Upload all the pixels. We'll uprez as needed don't worry.

Forget about DPI. Upload your full-size files, don't downrez them is my recommendation. Read the piece on proof delay on the wiki, it talks about "smashing" your files...
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Upload all the pixels. We'll uprez as needed don't worry.

Forget about DPI. Upload your full-size files, don't downrez them is my recommendation. Read the piece on proof delay on the wiki, it talks about "smashing" your files...

So you are suggesting to reduce upload time, etc. by saving copies as JPG-7 and then when someone orders, replace the photo with an original JPG-8 or higher, correct crop and color, and ship?

Terry
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    TerryP wrote:
    So you are suggesting to reduce upload time, etc. by saving copies as JPG-7 and then when someone orders, replace the photo with an original JPG-8 or higher, correct crop and color, and ship?

Terry
    nod.gif