Options

Newbie needs help

b-grinnerb-grinner Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
edited January 13, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi there,

Forgive me here but I am not well versed at all in PS and was hoping someone could give me some guidance. I am looking to create the following. I am including example of what I am looking for. Can someone tell me how I would achieve this with my own photos. My intention is create jpg's like this and then use them as slide show photos on my SmugMug site.
...The Cyberphotog:D

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    See if this helps you out.

http://davev.smugmug.com/gallery/2338889

This is the first time I tried to make a frame like this. Hopefully, if someone has an easier way of doing it, they'll chime in.

Good luck.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    This is fairly simple to do (just quite a few steps). It's always important to remember that there are generally several ways in Photoshop to do the same thing. So let's dissect your sample photo:

1. A blurred edge or background that is a bit darker than the foreground
    2. A foreground portion that appears to have a shadow and a defined edge.
    3. A signature

When you look at the key elements, the execution becomes a little easier to follow. davev provided a good visual example for PS Elements. I will describe a similar process for regular photoshop.

1. Open your file. It opens as a "background" layer.

2. Duplicate the background layer twice (Ctrl-J, Ctrl-J). As a general habit, I never work on the original background layer.

3. These 2 copies will become your two main layers. It's a good habit to rename the layers, but not necessary to the final image. Double click on the name of the first layer copy and rename it "Blurred Background". Rename the second copy something like "Main Image". You now have 3 identical layers: the Background Layer, Blurred Background, and Main Image Layer.

Making The Blurred Background Layer

4. "Turn off" the "Main Image" layer (currently the topmost layer) by clicking on the eye on the left of the layer.

5. Select the Background Image layer if it's not already selected by clicking on it. Now we can blur this layer by selecting Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur. Set the Blur amount to taste and hit Enter.

6. We want to make this layer a little darker. I like to use adjustment layers, because we can always go back and adjust them later if we don't quite like what we did. Select Layer->New Adjustment Layer->Brightness/Contrast, hit OK, and reduce the Brightness slider to taste in the next dialog box. Hit OK. The blurred, darkened background is now done.

Making the main image

7. Turn the Main Image layer back on by clicking on the eye on the left. Your blurred background will momentarily disappear from view. Select this layer by clicking on the layer.

8. Now we want to create the frame. As you will see from my example, the frame can be any size (or shape). I used the Rectangle Marquee tool, but any selection tool will do. In your case, to create the identical frame as in your example, use the Marquee tool and select the framed area by clicking at the top left corner and dragging down to the bottom right. If you don't get it quite right, Hit Ctrl-D to deselect and start again. You should have a "marching ants" frame on your screen.

9. To complete the frame, again I like to use adjustment layers, as we can tweek them later if necessary. Select Layer->Layer Mask->Reveal Selection. Click OK.

Almost done. You should now have a non-blurred foreground image with a slightly darker, blurred edge.

10. In your example, the framed edge has a bit of detailing to it. To make changes to the edge, this is done with layer styles. First, click on the layer mask on the "Main Image" layer (it looks like a small black box, with a smaller white box inside it).

11. At the bottom of the layer pallet, you should see a small "f". Click on this. You will now get a layer styles dialog box. Now go crazy and try these! You can click on each style, make changes, and they will be additive (and since this is on an adjustment layer, you can go back and change this as many times as you want!

For my image, I used a Drop Shadow, with the angle set to top left (about 129 degrees.

I also added an outer glow and changed the edge "glow" color from yellow to grey (just my preference).

I also added Bevel & Emboss (probably should have used one or the other). The point is, it's your choice. Make it your frame edge.

When your done, hit OK.

Add the Signature

This last bit is also simple and can be done a number of ways. For today, simply hit the Text tool (looks like a T), select a font, size, and color, position the cursor and type away. In my case, I have a custom brush that I use (I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial here somewhere on that).

I chose to put my "frame" quite small and off center. But the concept is exactly the same. A blurred background, a foreground image with a layer mask to reveal a smaller portion of the non-blurred image, and a signature.

122385748-L.jpg

Eventually you might want to automate all these steps with an "action". That can be a bit trickier to do, so practice this and you'll become an expert framer in no time!

Hope this helps,

Brad
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    digismile wrote:
    This is fairly simple to do (just quite a few steps). It's always important to remember that there are generally several ways in Photoshop to do the same thing. So let's dissect your sample photo:

1. A blurred edge or background that is a bit darker than the foreground
    2. A foreground portion that appears to have a shadow and a defined edge.
    3. A signature

When you look at the key elements, the execution becomes a little easier to follow. davev provided a good visual example for PS Elements. I will describe a similar process for regular photoshop.

1. Open your file. It opens as a "background" layer.

2. Duplicate the background layer twice (Ctrl-J, Ctrl-J). As a general habit, I never work on the original background layer.

3. These 2 copies will become your two main layers. It's a good habit to rename the layers, but not necessary to the final image. Double click on the name of the first layer copy and rename it "Blurred Background". Rename the second copy something like "Main Image". You now have 3 identical layers: the Background Layer, Blurred Background, and Main Image Layer.

Making The Blurred Background Layer

4. "Turn off" the "Main Image" layer (currently the topmost layer) by clicking on the eye on the left of the layer.

5. Select the Background Image layer if it's not already selected by clicking on it. Now we can blur this layer by selecting Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur. Set the Blur amount to taste and hit Enter.

6. We want to make this layer a little darker. I like to use adjustment layers, because we can always go back and adjust them later if we don't quite like what we did. Select Layer->New Adjustment Layer->Brightness/Contrast, hit OK, and reduce the Brightness slider to taste in the next dialog box. Hit OK. The blurred, darkened background is now done.

Making the main image

7. Turn the Main Image layer back on by clicking on the eye on the left. Your blurred background will momentarily disappear from view. Select this layer by clicking on the layer.

8. Now we want to create the frame. As you will see from my example, the frame can be any size (or shape). I used the Rectangle Marquee tool, but any selection tool will do. In your case, to create the identical frame as in your example, use the Marquee tool and select the framed area by clicking at the top left corner and dragging down to the bottom right. If you don't get it quite right, Hit Ctrl-D to deselect and start again. You should have a "marching ants" frame on your screen.

9. To complete the frame, again I like to use adjustment layers, as we can tweek them later if necessary. Select Layer->Layer Mask->Reveal Selection. Click OK.

Almost done. You should now have a non-blurred foreground image with a slightly darker, blurred edge.

10. In your example, the framed edge has a bit of detailing to it. To make changes to the edge, this is done with layer styles. First, click on the layer mask on the "Main Image" layer (it looks like a small black box, with a smaller white box inside it).

11. At the bottom of the layer pallet, you should see a small "f". Click on this. You will now get a layer styles dialog box. Now go crazy and try these! You can click on each style, make changes, and they will be additive (and since this is on an adjustment layer, you can go back and change this as many times as you want!

For my image, I used a Drop Shadow, with the angle set to top left (about 129 degrees.

I also added an outer glow and changed the edge "glow" color from yellow to grey (just my preference).

I also added Bevel & Emboss (probably should have used one or the other). The point is, it's your choice. Make it your frame edge.

When your done, hit OK.

Add the Signature

This last bit is also simple and can be done a number of ways. For today, simply hit the Text tool (looks like a T), select a font, size, and color, position the cursor and type away. In my case, I have a custom brush that I use (I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial here somewhere on that).

I chose to put my "frame" quite small and off center. But the concept is exactly the same. A blurred background, a foreground image with a layer mask to reveal a smaller portion of the non-blurred image, and a signature.

122385748-L.jpg

Eventually you might want to automate all these steps with an "action". That can be a bit trickier to do, so practice this and you'll become an expert framer in no time!

Hope this helps,

Brad

Hi Brad,

What awesome reply. Your step by step guide is very simple. However, being a newbie naturally I would still run into trouble. I will tell you where I got lost.

It was when I had to create the mask.

First, I did not see a small balck box with smaller white box. And I was also confused using the Marquee tool to create the frame. Since I wish to have small portion of blurred background appear would I then I have to make my marquee selection such that it is a bit smaller than image. Kinda start it in upper left corner but indented a bit?

Also how can I look at finished product when I am all done.

Here is attachment of what I had completed in PS for you to see so you can get an idea.

Look forward to hearing from you Brad.

...Bruce

edited January 11, 2007
    davev wrote:
    See if this helps you out.

http://davev.smugmug.com/gallery/2338889

This is the first time I tried to make a frame like this. Hopefully, if someone has an easier way of doing it, they'll chime in.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. It looks great!!

However, I am using Photoshop CS and I am having trouble finding the 'Style and Effects'. How do you get them to pop up in PS CS?

Thanks and look forward to your response.

...Bruce

edited January 11, 2007
    Bruce,

You were almost perfect! Good job!

I realize now that my instructions could have been a bit more exacting, but this gives you a chance to learn a bit more about adjustment layers and masks. This is very easy to fix.

But first, let's look at what you have. Look at the very top layer. You indeed have a layer mask (see the little white box on the right?). So what does it tell you?
    Well, imagine that the mask is a piece of plastic over top of your layer. Anything that is white will show through. Anything that is black will be blocked and show the layers below. Infact, any in between shade of grey will show a bit of both layers. In this case, we want our mask to be white and black. This means that your current mask is the same size as your image (it show the entire top layer). What we want is to block the edges of the top layer.

So yes, you answered your own question correctly. We want to drag a rectangle with the Marquee tool that is indented by the amount of the frame edge.

There are a number of ways to fix this. In this case, I think I'll show you how to undo the mask and do it again.

First, right click on the the white box to the right of the top layer and Delete Layer Mask.

122619105-L.jpg

Now we will reselect the frame using the marquee tool (Double check that the top layer is selected by clicking on the layer first). Drag a selection that is slightly smaller than the full image (in my case, I used a small square box. You will select a rectangle just smaller than the full edge). Your selection should give you the marching ants something like this:

122619141-M.jpg

Now select Layer->Layer Mask->Reveal Selection (we want what is INSIDE the rectangle to show, outside the rectangle to be hidden and show the blurred layer below).

122619172-M.jpg

Now your mask on the right hand side of the layer should be a small white box inside a black box, like this.

122619202-L.jpg

All you have to do is add your signature layer and you are done!

Give this a go and post your final job!

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Great write-up Brad! I've never tried this myself, but your instructions are really good. Would make a good tutorial!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2007
    digismile wrote:
    Bruce,

You were almost perfect! Good job!

I realize now that my instructions could have been a bit more exacting, but this gives you a chance to learn a bit more about adjustment layers and masks. This is very easy to fix.

But first, let's look at what you have. Look at the very top layer. You indeed have a layer mask (see the little white box on the right?). So what does it tell you?
    Well, imagine that the mask is a piece of plastic over top of your layer. Anything that is white will show through. Anything that is black will be blocked and show the layers below. Infact, any in between shade of grey will show a bit of both layers. In this case, we want our mask to be white and black. This means that your current mask is the same size as your image (it show the entire top layer). What we want is to block the edges of the top layer.

So yes, you answered your own question correctly. We want to drag a rectangle with the Marquee tool that is indented by the amount of the frame edge.

There are a number of ways to fix this. In this case, I think I'll show you how to undo the mask and do it again.

First, right click on the the white box to the right of the top layer and Delete Layer Mask.

122619105-L.jpg

Now we will reselect the frame using the marquee tool (Double check that the top layer is selected by clicking on the layer first). Drag a selection that is slightly smaller than the full image (in my case, I used a small square box. You will select a rectangle just smaller than the full edge). Your selection should give you the marching ants something like this:

122619141-M.jpg

Now select Layer->Layer Mask->Reveal Selection (we want what is INSIDE the rectangle to show, outside the rectangle to be hidden and show the blurred layer below).

122619172-M.jpg

Now your mask on the right hand side of the layer should be a small white box inside a black box, like this.

122619202-L.jpg

All you have to do is add your signature layer and you are done!

Give this a go and post your final job!

Regards,
    Brad

Hey Brad,

Your help is outstanding. I think I have this figured out. Have a peek at example below. I ended up using another photo.

edited January 13, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Great write-up Brad! I've never tried this myself, but your instructions are really good. Would make a good tutorial!!! thumb.gif

Thanks, maybe I'll give it a go and submit it to the Tutorial Gods! I enjoy doing these kinds of things, but haven't had a lot of free time lately. Western Canada just got socked in the last few days with a miserable winter storm and I chose to work from home ... (but I somehow ended up on dgrin instead that day ... funny how that happens ...)

All I need is another storm to keep me home ...
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    b-grinner wrote:
    Hey Brad,

Your help is outstanding. I think I have this figured out. Have a peek at example below. I ended up using another photo.

Houston, Tranquility Base, The Eagle has landed ...

Yup, you've got it. If you haven't figured it out already, you are able to adjust the layer styles on your frame by clicking on the adjstment layer icons. I think you will want to adjust the opacity of the drop shadow specific to a given photo. Some work better with a more subtle drop shadow. That's why I like layers, you can change them to your hearts content.

BTW, you don't need to embed the photos in your posts. You can link them directly from your smugmug site.

Glad I was able to help (you can thank the snow storm that hit Edmonton! And it's coming your way ...)