Options

A journey of a thousand miles ...

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
As is often quoted, "... begins with the first step." And those first steps can often be very small.

Something I've been doing for the last little bit that seems to be having the beginings of an impact is to go to High School sporting events and shoot, just like you are a "real professional". I have my kit bag with me, my nice black 30D and that huge 70-200 f/2.8 IS hanging off it and I have been able to go just about anywhere I please in the gym to get the shots I want.

The sport I know best is HS wrestling, so that's what I go shoot. After the teams are done for the night, I approach the coach of each team and verbally introduce myself while already having a business card in hand and presenting it to him/her. They ALWAYS take the card. I explain that I'm just there to practice, not to make money, but that any good shots I got that night of kids on the mat would be up on my web-site in the next couple of days and that, if they are interested, the kids and/or the parents are welcom to come take a look and purchase a print or to. I emphasize that the cost of the prints just barely covers my costs and that I don't really make any money on the print sales (which is true after you consider the time I take to just PP the shots).

Last night one of the coaches asked me if I would be willing to do a team portrait and, if so, how much I would charge. He was very busy with all his kids, so I suggested he give me a call when he has a moment and we could talk about it. If he calls, this is one way to get into that High School as a senior portrait photographer, something that I include in my list of services!

Another coach last night said his wife had a BA in photography but was having a hard time making it make money. She's been doing the stock photography thing and not getting anywhere. She also has some questions about lighting. Would I be willing to mentor her? I'm thinking to myself, "Sure, a little time with her, networking, talking photography, what could it hurt? Besides, if I get on well with her and the coach, I have a in into another High School. And, the kids on his team LOVE him! This could work!"

I get some portrait sessions lined up, make them happy and before you know it, they or a friend of theirs is getting married. Hmmmm.....

Anyway, I've learned so much on DGrin and taken so much that I thought I would offer to put a little back. Yeah, I know, it's not much, but it's what I have right now.

I would be interested in reading any thoughts/comments that you might have.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeTGeorgeT Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Scott,
    I've been shooting my kids activities at school for years now and gave away the shots. I also volunteer as a photog at a local Center for the arts. (Can't sell those photos but makes a wonderful gallery) For the past 5 years I have amassed a portfolio that I am using on a new web site. Lately, parents have been asking to purchase prints from the galleries that I post on pbase. I opened a Smugmug account finally after repeated pleas.
    Last night I saw about $200.worth of orders from Wednesday, from one event (holiday ball) that I just told the orginizer where to look.
    I shoot sports, theater, and events that I will now put up for sale. It takes a little time to be recognized, but not hard work.
    You're on the right track.
    Wish both of us good luck....
    George
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    GeorgeT wrote:
    Scott,
    I've been shooting my kids activities at school for years now and gave away the shots. I also volunteer as a photog at a local Center for the arts. (Can't sell those photos but makes a wonderful gallery) For the past 5 years I have amassed a portfolio that I am using on a new web site. Lately, parents have been asking to purchase prints from the galleries that I post on pbase. I opened a Smugmug account finally after repeated pleas.
    Last night I saw about $200.worth of orders from Wednesday, from one event (holiday ball) that I just told the orginizer where to look.
    I shoot sports, theater, and events that I will now put up for sale. It takes a little time to be recognized, but not hard work.
    You're on the right track.
    Wish both of us good luck....
    George
    Congratulations on your begining success. I figure I will start to get that sort of recognition in a month or two or three. No rush, there's always going to be kids. Talk up the parents a bit and who knows where this could be heading.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Scott,

It is amazing where the path leads you when you get out there and aren't afraid! I'm so excited for you and enjoy hearing how fellow dgrinners are getting up and running!!! How funny that the chick with 4 years of formal training wants you as a mentor...now THAT's a sign you've arrived! :)

congrats and keep us posted!

Methinks we need to start a Marketing forum....its only one aspect of running a business, but a very important one...or at the very least a "Best Practices" Sticky.

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers