Options

new year, new innovations? what's next?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited January 16, 2007 in Cameras
Well, 2007 has arrived! CES and Macworld have both taken place and showed us technology that I can't wait to get my hands on (the iPhone, specifically :)
but what's next in the camera world? mostly in the DSLR world? there wasn't much said at the CES about photography, sure exilim had a few booths and a new compact with a big zoom...but no huge advances. is there anything exciting to look forward this year in the way of Digital SLRs?

what do you think will be the big advancement this year?

what would you like to see happen this year?
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited January 12, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    ... is there anything exciting to look forward this year in the way of Digital SLRs?

what do you think will be the big advancement this year?

what would you like to see happen this year?

It's only January 12, where I live anyway. rolleyes1.gifPlenty of year left for lots of new and expensive stuff.

I'm personally hoping for the new 64 gigabyte imaging chips which fit the new quantum worm-hole lenses. These contraptions can photograph a gnat from two miles away, and then zoom back to encompass the equivalent of a 3mm lens on a full-frame medium format camera. Apertures are rumored to be from f.5 to f256 with perfect bokeh at all openings. Prices haven't been announced, but if you have to ask ... (Wicked problem with singularities apprearing and sucking up the camera and user.ne_nau.gif)

OK, I took the "other" meds now.

The truth is that there will undoubtably be more pixels in the near future, I would guess a Canon 5Ds with 16 MP is not too far away. The Canon 1D series is about due for something new, but anybody's guess what that might be.

Nikon has been rumored to have a newer D2 series camera in the works. Thom Hogan is the Nikon fortune teller, and you can check his predictions for accuracy:

http://www.bythom.com/2003predictions.htm
    http://www.bythom.com/2004predictions.htm
    http://www.bythom.com/2005predictions.htm
    http://www.bythom.com/2006predictions.htm
    http://www.bythom.com/roadmap.htm

(While Thom has been fairly accurate in his predictions, only one thing appears to be sure; that he will have more predictions.mwink.gif)

I am also wishing that this is the year of the "affordable medium format". I would not be too surprised to see this market explode at some point as the 35mm crop dSLR market gets more congested and true earnings erode for the major players. A much larger format under $10,000USD could be very interresting.

One thing I am pretty sure will happen in the next few years is the ability of a digital camera to map planes within the image using distance information, and then record that mapping for software to convert into layers. Imagine mapping a "subject" as a seperate layer automatically, so that the subject layer can be further refined, or seperated out, or ... (the mind wanders here.) That information could also be used to make multiple instantaneous flash exposures, so that each layer receives a more appropriate illumination.

Lots more but, I digress,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Personally I would love to see true flexable focusing (such as my KM A2 had)....where the focus pont could actuall be moved pretty much infinitely around the view finder and not just a series of stationary ponts that are nver exactly where you need them...:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Personally I would love to see true flexable focusing (such as my KM A2 had)....where the focus pont could actuall be moved pretty much infinitely around the view finder and not just a series of stationary ponts that are nver exactly where you need them...:D
    Hi, Art, they have a new concept which has just hit the market....

It is called "Manual Focus" and you follow your subject and use the ring on the lens to keep the subject in focus as it moves. Never have to worry about the right "pont" then. I have been using it in the beta version and I love it. Easiest focusing I ever tried. Also makes lenses a lot less expensive and the price can then be put back into better optics. How about a f .5 300 mm tele for under $300.00? Yeah, I wish. ne_nau.gif

:s85:s85
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I am also wishing that this is the year of the "affordable medium format". I would not be too surprised to see this market explode at some point as the 35mm crop dSLR market gets more congested and true earnings erode for the major players. A much larger format under $10,000USD could be very interresting.

ziggy53

Re-reading my comments, what I really meant was not just under $10,000, but "considerably" under $10,000.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    mikeb380 wrote:

It is called "Manual Focus" and you follow your subject and use the ring on the lens to keep the subject in focus as it moves. Never have to worry about the right "pont" then. I have been using it in the beta version and I love it. Easiest focusing I ever tried. Also makes lenses a lot less expensive and the price can then be put back into better optics. How about a f .5 300 mm tele for under $300.00? Yeah, I wish. ne_nau.gif
    Michael,

I use manual focus a lot, but the simple ground glass finder and darker, reduced image of the average crop dSLR camera make it pretty difficult without either a focussing aid, like a replacement focus screen or viewfinder magnifier, and/or focus confirmation, like many cameras allow or which you must purchase in a seperate product, like Canon forces you to do.

Focus screen:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=49285
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20676
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=48954

Viewfinder magnifier:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=166174&postcount=21

Canon Focus Confirmation:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35188
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38398

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    mikeb380 wrote:

:s85:s85

I don't think I was being unrealistic....the KM A2 has true flexable focus and it made life a lot easier at times for me, when shooting thru obsticles that made even manual focus very hard.....now manual focus....I too have been using it for just a tad over 40 yrs...so now I am ready to upgrade and make my life a little easier at times....one of the reasons for me shooting KM DSLr's is where the MF button is located...basically directly above my right thumb when I am shooting and I do find myself using manual focus a lot especially when it is not really bright outside....

And as ZIGGY mentioned without spending extra (sometimes a lot extra) on different ground glass, etc etc.... focusing in can be very difficult even in manual mode......

So to get waht I need for those really tricky to focus shots I will probably find me another A2 or A200 and settle for that.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    I would like to see a new 12MP sensor with the dynamic range and sensitivity equal to that of the human eye. Is that too much to ask? :D

Also, I'd like to see an extremely sharp 10-500mm constant f/1.8 lens that is compact as Nikons 18-200mm VR. Again....too much to ask? Laughing.gif Ok I'm dreaming...but maybe sometime in the future we can have something like that.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

So to get waht I need for those really tricky to focus shots I will probably find me another A2 or A200 and settle for that.

Art,

I plan on keeping my KM A2 until one of us dies (could go either way.)mwink.gif

I still regard it as the best of the "shooters" 8MP advanced digicams. All of the 8MP digicams were compromises in design, but FlexFocus and image stabilization and a decent manual zoom and decent accessories make it a camera I continue to have "fun" with.

A single bag holds everything I need for most informal photography. (I use a Vivitar 285HV for that camera on a side-handle bracket. The Minolta flashes were a bit pricey for what they were, and the Vivitar works predictably in either auto or manual mode.)

I'd love to see you back in the "club" of happy A2 owners.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Free R1 give away :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Art,

I plan on keeping my KM A2 until one of us dies (could go either way.)mwink.gif

I still regard it as the best of the "shooters" 8MP advanced digicams. All of the 8MP digicams were compromises in design, but FlexFocus and image stabilization and a decent manual zoom and decent accessories make it a camera I continue to have "fun" with.

A single bag holds everything I need for most informal photography. (I use a Vivitar 285HV for that camera on a side-handle bracket. The Minolta flashes were a bit pricey for what they were, and the Vivitar works predictably in either auto or manual mode.)

I'd love to see you back in the "club" of happy A2 owners.

ziggy53
    I was scouring the net for a sigma 50 - 500 or 170 - 500 for 7D's but decided to wait since I am thinking of jumping the KM/Sony ship...so now will be seriously looking for the A2 / 200 in a week or so....Loved that little camera.....so in the near future Ziggy I will be back in the A2 group again:D
    and yes the Minolta flashes were a tad high but I bought a 5600Hs any way and you areso correct with the fact that a Vivy 285 works almost as well....and in most case every bit as well as I normally only shoot in manual anyway...so it is headed over to DYXUM to sell and now that sony has them they are even higher.....gonna stick with my sunpack 622's and maybe a 120ttl ( but not dedicated to the KM unless I get a 120 ttl just for the upcoming A2 re purchase :D)...if I could find new 285's I would be buying them...but alas the good ole stand by of the pros is gone.......

• Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    ...if I could find new 285's I would be buying them...but alas the good ole stand by of the pros is gone.......

They're baack!:D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=61441&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    http://www.adorama.com/VV285HV.html?searchinfo=vivitar%20285&item_no=15

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    One thing I am pretty sure will happen in the next few years is the ability of a digital camera to map planes within the image using distance information, and then record that mapping for software to convert into layers. Imagine mapping a "subject" as a seperate layer automatically, so that the subject layer can be further refined, or seperated out, or ... (the mind wanders here.) That information could also be used to make multiple instantaneous flash exposures, so that each layer receives a more appropriate illumination.

ziggy53

Imagined Layered Mind Mapping? Nah, :nah I gave that up in the '70s! :eek1
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    One thing I am pretty sure will happen in the next few years is the ability of a digital camera to map planes within the image[/QUOTE]
    And this will lead to no more OOF shots one day deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

HOLY SNEZKA!! Ziggy! I quit looking a while back for left overs that no one wanted.....and after emailing vivatar and asking about them.....they are great flashes and extrremely dependable....
    Thanks for the info!!!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

• Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ziggy53 wrote:
    One thing I am pretty sure will happen in the next few years is the ability of a digital camera to map planes within the image
    And this will lead to no more OOF shots one day deal.gif

Focus Bracketing is one concept that is coming of age for macro work, but has ramifications for the future in general photography as well. Imagine a portrait with an f1.4 of f1.2 lens that has focus bracketing at fine increments of maybe 10 steps fore and aft. Of course, the mirror will probably be locked up, but it will be cool. (Assuming dSLRs even have mirrors in "that future".)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    HOLY SNEZKA!! ...

Gesundheit! rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Gesundheit! rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

not a sneeze but a mountain in Czech Republicrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited January 14, 2007
    Andy, you talking about something like this?

I made some predictions of my own a while ago.

I post this every year (although not there anymore).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Andy, you talking about something like this?

I made some predictions of my own a while ago.

The visual effects crowd would probably be pretty excited about that one, as that amount of image data should be able to build a depth map of the image, which would be incredibly useful when making digitally composited images.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    I'd like to see a sliding shutter speed and aperture versus halving the amount you just spin the aperture and shutter speed accordingly.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw