Buying a Camera? How To Not Get Ripped Off.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Click on the Combo Deal tab under the camera. Yes, it includes a 1GB card.

You can buy a quality 1GB CF card for about $50.

Is this a good deal? ne_nau.gif

I wouldn't touch expresscameras.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    R_Younce wrote:
    So, I've been reading this forum which has been ultimatley the only forum that has ever looked useful enough to join, and I must admit that I am on the brink of making a purchase based on HUGE amounts of excitement.

It seems to me that B&H is the most reliable source for buying camera equipment, and would promise a no stress buy. But... I am not one who comes across money often, and this pricing at newegg.com looks like the most ideal purchase.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120030

I am looking to purchase a Canon Rebel XT with a 18-55mm lens, newegg seems to have a free three day shipping deal, and it also says there is a "Big discount with CF card combo purchase, ends 9/15" however I don't quite know if that means I am purchasing said combo, it does not appear as if there is a CF card included in this package... also no link appears to route to another page that sells such a deal, I wonder if the price posted is for THAT deal or if it is for the package listed. The worry definetly seems inane to me, but for how excited I am, I thought I would ask if you guys thought this looked like a "scam-free" kinda thing. I am new to online camera shopping.

BTW, what does everyone think of "www.expresscameras.com"? I almost bought from them, but they had the look of "suck" about them.

Newegg is also an absolutely fantastic place to buy from; they've recieved several thousand dollars from me over the years. Your hunch appears to be correct regarding expresscameras.com - their Reseller Rating is horrid (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805.html).

Regarding the Newegg deal, if you click on the "Combo Deals" tab just below and to the right of the lefthand menu, they've got a Transcend 1GB card and the camera for $700 and a RiTEK 2GB card with the camera for $719.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Last Friday my 20d & 300mm 2.8 IS decided to see how it felt to hit the ground. The 20d did not do too well.
    I don’t have enough time to get it fixed before Friday’s football game, and being without transportation this week I thought I would try B&H mail-order for a new camera.

I hadn’t bought any big ticket items via the internet or mail-order before yesterday. In the past I would use B&H for accessories and use Calumet Store in Santa Ana, California for cameras and lens.

I called B&H to check stock, they had them in stock. I placed the order and in less than 24 hours I have my new 30d. Great service, no upselling, no bs, and saved over $100.00 from local prices.

Go with the top rated stores even if the price might seem a little high; you’ll save in the long run….
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    richW wrote:
    I called B&H to check stock, they had them in stock. I placed the order and in less than 24 hours I have my new 30d. Great service, no upselling, no bs, and saved over $100.00 from local prices.

Go with the top rated stores even if the price might seem a little high; you’ll save in the long run….
    Thank you for this. Much appreciated.
  • WanderlustWanderlust Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    henryp wrote:
    Thank you for this. Much appreciated.

I ordered a Canon S3 point and shoot camera package from B&H for a little over $500 USD that was shipped on Sept 5th. It was the glowing endorsements here that gave me the confidence in them. It is now Sept 12th and they can't come up with a tracking number and now say it could take 45 days. Origional estimate was 'under two weeks' to Canada. The number I got from thier FRUSTRATINGeek7.gif automated phone system is invalid with USPS.

Thier live service people are freindly enough. As opposed to the tearse sales people. But I'm wondering if they actually sent anything. I'm under some time constraints to buy some good compact binoculars, a Canon Rebel XTi, and a couple good lenses for vacationing. $3500 USD and I can't bring myself to commit the order to B&H. The point and shoot is to be a Christmas gift and was sort of a test run for B&H.

Don't you get a package number or a tracking number uppon sending the package? headscratch.gif You sure do up here in Canada, but then we have everything but USPS for shipping. Does anyone have experience with www.Henrys.com
    or any other good online photography/optics store based in Canada?

Thanks and what a wealth of information, experience and enthusiasm here on this site. It's great.
    :rambo "An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will eat him last." Churchill ... WWII
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    USPS is the United States Postal Service, and does not provide tracking.

UPS is United Parcel Service, and does provide tracking.

Which one are you using?
    Wanderlust wrote:
    I ordered a Canon S3 point and shoot camera package from B&H for a little over $500 USD that was shipped on Sept 5th. It was the glowing endorsements here that gave me the confidence in them. It is now Sept 12th and they can't come up with a tracking number and now say it could take 45 days. Origional estimate was 'under two weeks' to Canada. The number I got from thier FRUSTRATINGeek7.gif automated phone system is invalid with USPS.

Thier live service people are freindly enough. As opposed to the tearse sales people. But I'm wondering if they actually sent anything. I'm under some time constraints to buy some good compact binoculars, a Canon Rebel XTi, and a couple good lenses for vacationing. $3500 USD and I can't bring myself to commit the order to B&H. The point and shoot is to be a Christmas gift and was sort of a test run for B&H.

Don't you get a package number or a tracking number uppon sending the package? headscratch.gif You sure do up here in Canada, but then we have everything but USPS for shipping. Does anyone have experience with www.Henrys.com

Thanks and what a wealth of information, experience and enthusiasm here on this site. It's great.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    DavidTO wrote:
    USPS is the United States Postal Service, and does not provide tracking.

UPS is United Parcel Service, and does provide tracking.

Which one are you using?

They sent it by USPS (United States Postal Service). B&H claims they do get tracking information (eventually) and USPS says they provide it right away. 1 800 ASK USPS (275 8777).
    :rambo "An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will eat him last." Churchill ... WWII
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    Wanderlust wrote:
    The number I got from thier FRUSTRATINGeek7.gif automated phone system is invalid with USPS.

What was this tracking number you got from the automated phone system?

Also USPS provides tracking numbers when requested. Not all the time. UPS provides tracking numbers all the time. B&H is 100% on the up and up, the problem may be customs or even the USPS if that is who is was shipped by.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    I hate using the Postal Service, and this is one reason why.

Also, might it not be a little early to get freaked out?

You said B&H originally estimated delivery in "under two weeks." As of today, it's only been seven days since it was shipped. Maybe wait a few more days before you allow yourself to get too upset about this? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    wxwax wrote:
    I hate using the Postal Service, and this is one reason why.

Also, might it not be a little early to get freaked out?

You said B&H originally estimated delivery in "under two weeks." As of today, it's only been seven days since it was shipped. Maybe wait a few more days before you allow yourself to get too upset about this? ne_nau.gif

The only reasons for wishing for tracking info is (1) evidence something was sent (as opposed to dropshippers, backordering etc.) and (2) if I know this item passes customs in a timely manner without massive duties or brokerage charges then I can put in for the much larger order with them with some assurances it may be recieved before the intended recipients leave the country until next year. Since time is somewhat limited and I'm interested in the better deal I'll need this info or by default I'll be spending the $500 more to get it here. I don't meen to sound pushy, upset or 'freaked out' just interested in doing buisness with them, and from my vantage point it just seemes odd that it would take so many times longer to send a package from NY to here than the other way around. Also package tracking is simple and automatic from my experience. Of course NOW I know it ain't so with USPS. I'm not sure what good a tracking number is if it takes longer to get the number than to deliver the package. Perhaps if it is only a matter of making the request to USPS on the part of the sender it might be a good service point if B&H were to do so, at least for international orders where the possibility of complications and holdups are greater. It is good to know that there's at least some good experiences with B&H out there. I'm sure they're a good outfit. Hopefully something will turn up by the weekend.

To answer the other question, the tracking number put out by the automated phone system based on my order number with B&H was 000017127. This didn't register with USPS who said it should be in a bit different format.
    Yeah, understood, not calling into question the desirability of a tracking number.

Quite the opposite: that's one reason why I dislike the Post Office and always opt for UPS or FedEx.

I have never had any qualms about B&H. They're the best of the best. In fact, they inadvertantly helped me discover I was a victim of identity theft, when they found a problem with my credit card that no-one else had. They're honest and competent.

The US Postal Service, on the other hand...
    Sid.
  • mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Henrys sux, USPS got much better
    Wanderlust wrote:

I have had experience with Henry and it wasn't good at all. I sent money and they didn't send anything. When I complained they said they hadn't got the money but paypal said they had. We went round and round and I told them to just send back the money. I would never use them again.

USPS and tracking numbers is/are a joke. Yes, they do tracking numbers but when you go to their tracking system it can never find the number or tell you where your parcel is, tells you to try later; that's if USPS gets a number out prior to your receiving the parcel. I do a lot of Priority mail with them and have found them very reliable, mostly getting one day service which is quite different than a few years ago. Used to take anywhere from a week to an eon to get a package and that was only after they ran the steam roller over it several times and had the donkeys do a job on it. Quite different now. I sent a PMail package to China and it got there in 4 days. Kinda magical as chinese customs is very strict about imports from USA. Also only cost me $4. and some cents to send it. Again magical. For about the same price they are faster than UPS ground. I never thought I'd praise our postal service. Laughing.gif
    What can I say? ne_nau.gif
    Cheers
    Michael blbl.gif
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • JWrightJWright Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2006
    For years I have purchase my major gear (cameras, lenses, etc) from one of the two pro camera stores we have here in San Diego. Both have been in business for decades and are very reputable dealers with competitive prices. I much prefer doing business in person so I have the recourse of returning the item to the store if something is not right. I know everyone is looking for the best possible price, but I'd rather pay a little more for the positive shopping experience.
  • ts_photots_photo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2006
    When buying cameras online you can always email the manufacturer and ask them if a particular company is an authorized dealer of their products. I have done this quite a few times. If they are not authorized by the manufacturer then you can be sure that you will probably get ripped off.
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Wanderlust wrote:
    To answer the other question, the tracking number put out by the automated phone system based on my order number with B&H was 000017127. This didn't register with USPS who said it should be in a bit different format.
    I am sorry for your difficulty. That is the USPS tracking #. FWIW, my experience is the USPS online package tracking system is pretty poor. Your order could have been shipped via UPS for only $2.25 more and UPS has a very good online package tracking setup. If there's any way I can assist you, let me know.
    edited October 17, 2006
    henryp wrote:
    I am sorry for your difficulty. That is the USPS tracking #. FWIW, my experience is the USPS online package tracking system is pretty poor. Your order could have been shipped via UPS for only $2.25 more and UPS has a very good online package tracking setup. If there's any way I can assist you, let me know.
    I second that.

Skip the US Postal Service. They're bad news.

UPS is far more reliable.
    Sid.
    edited October 18, 2006
    From whom to buy
    JWright wrote:
    For years I have purchase my major gear (cameras, lenses, etc) from one of the two pro camera stores we have here in San Diego. Both have been in business for decades and are very reputable dealers with competitive prices. I much prefer doing business in person so I have the recourse of returning the item to the store if something is not right. I know everyone is looking for the best possible price, but I'd rather pay a little more for the positive shopping experience.

I would love to buy locally but there are only two companies here now. One is Ritz and they lie a lot because they are ignorant. The other is Columbia Camera and they used to be good, however they have atrophied, so I am forced to go out of Columbia to purchase. I have used B&H and Adorama, with most going to Adorama ( sorry Henry, just happened that way). I think both companies are reliable and mean what they say. It is great to be able to trust companies with whom you work.

Michael wings.gif
    ========
    +++++++
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    edited November 1, 2006
    Shipping via USPS¿¿
    henryp wrote:

My experience with USPS tracking is that it is a joke. If you try to track anything they tell you it hasn't been picked up. They do that even after you receive the package. However, I find that their Priority mail is usually great. I bought a bunch of books online and have been getting media mail in about 3 days. Everyone says a week to two weeks for delivery. I usually get priority mail in about a day. On some things the USPS is good, others suck. If I have a choice I'll pay the difference for UPS or FedEx.
    Michael clap.gif
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    I'm from NY and I'll never buy from a Brooklyn outlet. Between bbb.com and resellerratings.com, I can take a hint.
    I only deal with newegg.com online and locally, B & H Photo Video and CompUSA Business Sales. B & H is just a fun place to go shop and try before you buy even though it's a hassle for me to leave work and get there before they close at 7 (and they are closed on Saturday). Newegg is just fast and no hassle shopping and very competitive prices although they don't have everything B & H has...yet. I've been purchasing computer equipment from Newegg for over 4 years and never had a problem so now I buy camera stuff from them.
    I only trust Fedex for my shipping and USPS Priority insured with tracking as backup. Can't stand UPS.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I'd just like to sing the praises of OneCall.com for a moment.

I was getting ready to buy my camera through Amazon and I noticed that they didn't actually carry the camera but were delivering it through OneCall (who I'd never heard of). I was still going to stick with Amazon because I know their customer service is good.

When I went to the shipping page, the fastest I could get it was 2-3 days (I guess because of the extra time needed for Amazon to deal with OneCall). I checked out OneCall.com and everything on their site looked okay so I went through them.

The transaction was smooth, the price was excellent, they were very polite on the phone (they called because my shipping and billing address were different). And, as I'm typing this - it has arrived. I must go now.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Pupator wrote:
    I'd just like to sing the praises of OneCall.com for a moment.

I've heard Andy say the same thing. OneCall is one of the vendors on our newish Where To Buy page.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 22, 2006
    In order to warn others I thought I might add this. A friend just got a camera she ordered from Abe's of Maine. She had been looking at the Rebel Xti to upgrade from the K2 she has.

She called me last week to tell me that she had placed the order. I immediately asked why she did not call me first for advice. She said it was an impulse buy. She called several other companies first and got all of the scam sales pitches immediately. When she called Abe's everything seemed ok.

She said that the Abe's sales person was very friendly and helpful. In the order process the sales person said that the kit lens was crappy and recommended a Sigma 18-50. The sales person also asked if my friend needed a CF card. A Trancend 2gb 120x for $129 was added to the order. The same card can be bought direct from Trancend for $49. The order was placed last week.

The friend called yesterday to ask if I had gotten my camera from B&H. I did on Monday. She was starting to get worried as her camera should have been delivered by now. Abes had promised her it would ship out last week. I check the tracking number for her. I find that it did not ship until Wed of this week. She was lied to on the ship date.

She got the camera yesterday evening. The original kit lens is not in the kit box. The warranty card for the lens is also missing. She is not happy at this point. I recommended that she start making some phone calls and request a return on the camera. She does not want to return it. But, she plans to raise a fit.

I feel real bad for her as she wanted to get into digital photography after seeing my work. I just wish that she had called me before placing the order.

I am not saying that Abes did anything wrong. But, this one friend is not happy with them at all. I personally rather pay more at B&H to get the reliable sales. She did not buy from B&H because they were closed on Friday. I had to explain to her why.

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited December 22, 2006
    Adorama again
    I have been dealing with Adorama for several years. I started on ebay and they were great. They went out of their way to be sure I got what I wanted. This week I Saw they had a mobile hard drive, 320 gig, for sale and I wanted it. I am on Social security and get paid on the 4th wed of every month ( silly person thought that one up). I emailed Iggy and asked him how long the drive would be that price. He wrote back and asked the model number which I sent him. He replied same day and said I can get it on 27th. Now, I don't buy a lot of stuff, especially high ticket stuff, but Iggy remembered me and went out of his way to help me. I find out that he isn't in sales any more and shouldn't have had to deal with this, he could have thrown it off to a salesman to take care of. He didn't see it that way and got me the info I needed. I'll continue to do business with Adorama because of Izzy's actions this week. I think this is how a business should be run, take care of the customer first. Thank you Izzy
    Michael bowdown.gifwings.gif
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    edited December 24, 2006
    Who is the party who updates the review page for dealers? I would like to see Adorama added. I have had nothing but good relations with them and enjoy dealing with them.
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • DougMunnDougMunn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2007
    Abes of Maine
    We've bought to cameras and misc. accessories from Abes. They've been good to us, both in delivery and service.

I'll buy from them again.

Just note....

Abes isn't really in Maine. They are actually right along with everybody else in the NY Camera District. Don't be afraid to tell the salesperson that their price for such and such (camera, lense or accessory) is to much. They've always been willing to dicker and toss in extras for very little.

Doug
    edited January 13, 2007
    RatingsPlanet
    In checking up on a store in a different thread I found this:

I went to RatingsPlanet site and checked on Express; all they had were outstanding reviews. I then checkd on companies such as Adorama, wasn't listed; KEH, wasn't listed; Cambridge Camera, ditto; and so forth. I chaecked about 20stores and only one was rated, that was B&H and they had terrible reviews. Well, to quote the Bard, "something is fishy in Denmark" I'd advise anyone seeing that particular sticker on a store site to run, don't walk away.
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 13, 2007
    B&H has about as high a trust factor as they get. Most of us here in the states order our gear there.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    B&H has about as high a trust factor as they get. Most of us here in the states order our gear there.
    Yerbut but for overseas orders B&H (and andorama for that matter) want you to fax a copy of your credit card...with your sig & security numbers (ie last few small numbers on the back)

Now i trust the company ..dont get me wrong but no way in hell am i sending stuff like that to a 852 digit over seas fax number that i have no real idea if it is getting to the right place.

I dont see why they both think they are different from the rest of the world. I talk to a lot of aussies that buy up & they all want to deal with these 2 but have the same fears as myself thus we look elsewhere.

Thats my rant & no-one tell me its any different as i tried again with them both only a month back.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 13, 2007
    They are protecting themselves. I'm sure like most businesses that also provide web and mail order options, they've been taken for a ride for millions over the years from half the planet. Much much much more difficult to get a resolution from fraud outside one's own country of business (darn near impossible in fact.)

You may think its bad customer service, but really, try to look at their situation from their perspective. I think its very refreshing and honorable that they make the effort to protect themselves from possible fraud.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    They are protecting themselves.
    No shit sherlock ? They are not doing it to be popular.

Whilst they continue to run like this then they will continue to loose over seas sales as im sure others feel as i do..on the local forums here people certainly express the same views as myself. Hell we may only be 0.3% of sales thus its not worth it for them...i dunno.. but with this policy they will never see a red cent from me whilst my arse points to the ground.