street photography

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 6, 2005 in Street and Documentary
i found them in the early throng of people in new york's times square this afternoon, 12/31/05. 11746833-Ti.gif

13496587-L.jpg

technical details: 1DS Mark II, 16-35L aboard, @ f/4, iso 200, 1/80th sec. shot in raw whilst walking down broadway, amidst about a kabillion people :lol3 ... at the corner, i gave the man, who had this boy in his arms, and two more wee ones in tow, my card, and yes, he'd love a copy of the pic...

in post: converted in adobe camera raw, developed two exposures, one for the main scene and one for the boy's hat and for the oof woman's hat. i blended these layers, and then i boosted the blacks, added a luminosity toning layer at about 11% opacity, and finally a soft light layer at 9%.

may i say that it's been a total joy to be able to share my photographic journey with everyone here at dgrin? thanks - i really can't tell you how thrilled i am at what a wonderous place this has become :D the best to you and yours in 2005, may the new year be filled with photo ops new and challenging each and every day 13352131-Ti.gif

enjoy photography,

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2004
    Nice catch andy... i like the girls face in the background also.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Nice catch andy... i like the girls face in the background also.

thanks 'gus - i really dig this little boy's expression :D
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Thats a keeper Andy... I intend to study the techs later clap.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i found them in the early throng of people in new york's times square this afternoon, 12/31/05. 11746833-Ti.gif

technical details: 1DS Mark II, 16-35L aboard, @ f/4, iso 200, 1/80th sec. shot in raw whilst walking down broadway, amidst about a kabillion people lol3.gif ... at the corner, i gave the man, who had this boy in his arms, and two more wee ones in tow, my card, and yes, he'd love a copy of the pic...

in post: converted in adobe camera raw, developed two exposures, one for the main scene and one for the boy's hat and for the oof woman's hat. i blended these layers, and then i boosted the blacks, added a luminosity toning layer at about 11% opacity, and finally a soft light layer at 9%.

may i say that it's been a total joy to be able to share my photographic journey with everyone here at dgrin? thanks - i really can't tell you how thrilled i am at what a wonderous place this has become :D the best to you and yours in 2005, may the new year be filled with photo ops new and challenging each and every day 13352131-Ti.gif

enjoy photography,
    Andy,

Another great shot, and let me say it has been a joy to view your work, and share in your journey. I think I can safely say we all appreciate not only the photos, but the time, and expertice you unselfishly impart.

Here's wishing you and everyone here on dgrin a great new year.

Sam
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Damn, I can't figure out how to keep your notes on how you treated this, it looks so good. Your lighting is always so perfect, Andy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 3, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Damn, I can't figure out how to keep your notes on how you treated this, it looks so good. Your lighting is always so perfect, Andy.
    i'll second that... i understand your steps, and would do almost the same, but your execution is always so perfect.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Great work, Andy!
    I'm just so happy you were able to capture the scene the way you intended. It's really great, the boy's expression really shows nicely, in that pristine way that's so usual with kids.

Not only the photo's got a lot of heart, it involved a lot of brains as well: the wealth of post processing technique you used for developing it. This is so cool! My favourite tidbits of it are the "boosting the blacks" and "soft light layer" parts. I use both steps very often in my stuff, and I'm very glad you introduced me (and a few more fellows, I'm sure) to those techniques.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    That's a beautiful shot Andy
    I love the way you were able to get perfect focus while moving and the balanced quality of the light. I can imagine that it would have been very dark under the brim of that hat. Your post processing was able to bring out all the detail there. I like the fact that the boys eyes are so bright (the whites). This is a perfect detail.

I'd like to say that it has been a great experience to be part of Digital Grin in the past year. I have learned a lot and grown a lot. You have been very generous to all of us in sharing your knowledge and experience. I wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    lynn and sam ...
    Sam wrote:
    Andy,

Another great shot, and let me say it has been a joy to view your work, and share in your journey. I think I can safely say we all appreciate not only the photos, but the time, and expertice you unselfishly impart.

Here's wishing you and everyone here on dgrin a great new year.

Sam

thank you both. and sam, it's truly my pleasure!