Options

Valley of Fire, NV

docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
edited January 14, 2007 in Journeys
On the advice of several people here the wife and I decided to take a side trip during our honeymoon to the Valley of Fire. The Valley of Fire is a short drive from Las Vegas. I wanted to share with you some of what we saw.

The full gallery is at http://www.docwalkersphotography.com/gallery/1832886/

The drive in. The wife thought I was nuts for stopping in the middle of nowhere to take this picture. I wanted the straight road heading off into the hills. What you don't see is the sudden turn to the left several miles up the road.
91401383-S-1.jpg

This is the back side of Atlatl Rock campground near the arch.

91411287-S.jpg

This is the Atlatl Rock. The Atlatl carving can be seen at the top of the drawings. There was an archeology class studying the rock while we were there. My wife made a comment on how bad the modern graffiti was in the area. I laughed and said what do you think these drawings are? Someone made a bet with an indian that he could not climb up here. When he did, he signed is name. See... there is running deer. The students started giggling. I said besides... One of our former presidents is a famous graffiti artist. The students were really interested at this point. I told them about George Washington carving his initials on the rock face of Natural Bridge in Virginia. The students asked the professor if I was right and he verified my story.
91413139-S.jpg

Here is a distant view of the Atlatl Rock. You can just barely make out the stairs and platform where the above picture was taken in the bottom center .

91427403-S.jpg

Before heading into the Petroglyph Canyon we took a break to hydrate and eat a snack. While waiting we noticed that some of the locals had taken an interest in us. This is a Harris' Antelope Ground Squirrel. They are found all over the park. More of these photos can be found at http://www.docwalkersphotography.com/gallery/1832894/1/91445287

91449061-S.jpg

A close up of one of the rock carvings in the petroglyph canyon. You have to look carefully. We found carvings in some unusual places that most people would over look.

91469892-S.jpg

This is what is left of a movie set at White Domes. We hiked back here at the demand of my wife. She wanted to see the movie set. The Hacienda scene from movie The Professionals was filmed here. This was all that was left. It is not an easy hike and the 103+ heat did not help.

91644189-S.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this. If you ever get a chance to go to Vegas, take a day and visit the Valley of Fire.

Doc
SmugMug Support Hero
http://help.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    On the advice of several people here the wife and I decided to take a side trip during our honeymoon to the Valley of Fire. The Valley of Fire is a short drive from Las Vegas. I wanted to share with you some of what we saw.

It is not an easy hike and the 103+ heat did not help.

I hope you enjoyed this. If you ever get a chance to go to Vegas, take a day and visit the Valley of Fire.

Doc, thanks for going in the heat and sharing these fine pictures. My wife wanted to stop in early August but I reminded her it's the middle of the desert. We are planning on visiting sometime between November and early next spring when it's a bit cooler. :D My father-in-law lives in Vegas so we are in town a few times a year.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    JoanJoan Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Thanks for sharing these photos of Valley of Fire. I love that place, and would like to go back and camp there sometime, being able to catch early morning and late evening light (but not in summer...). Your story accompanying the photos was fun to read too.

~ Joan
    ~ Joan

Photo gallery: http://jbarnett.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Hey you finally made it through! Very cool! Check out Red Rock as well!!
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    docwalker wrote:

This is the back side of Atlatl Rock campground near the arch.

91411287-S.jpg

Hey Doc, this is Poodle Rock. Can't ya see the poodle?

And yes, it is at the campground near Atlatl Rock.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    mgd_harveymgd_harvey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Great shots, and a great story to go with them. Looks like you had quite a trip!

Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Mark
    --
    So much has changed in our photo-world, and yet basically nothing's changed - It's still the pictures that really matter. David Noton
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    I have been there before with a crappy camera. Want to go back. I love your photos... so crisp and clear.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Valley of Fire
    Valley of Fire is a great place, when it's not a 100+ degrees out. I didn't even know about the old movie set there kind of cool. I was there over labor day weekend. I was sickened by some people's thoughtlessness. Some people think they are so important that they needed to ruin the petroglyphs by scratching their names in them.

94418512-S.jpg

If you ever get back to the area, Red Rock Canyon is an absolute must see also. Also very important, if you have a need for fireworks, that little gas station where you turn off for Valley of Fire is on the Indian Reservation and has just about anything you would ever need to blow up anything. All the good stuff! :D

Joel
    Youth is wasted on the young!