Options

RFQ - Shoot Our Wedding in DC 05.27.07

flacoflaco Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited January 15, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
FLACO EDIT: Thanks everyone, we've got four excellent quotes.

We're getting married.

We've got one quote from a DC photographer ($6k?) and it was much higher than we expected...but we've never done this before.

Where: Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC; reception following at a Chevy Chase Restaurant
When: May 27, 2007...maybe from 4:00 to 8 or 9pm

:dunno In advance, I'm fairly new to Dgrin and have never hired a photographer in my life.

Thanks,

Flaco
flaco99@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    edited January 14, 2007
    flaco wrote:
    We're getting married.

We've got one quote from a DC photographer ($6k?) and it was much higher than we expected...but we've never done this before.

Where: Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC; reception following at a Chevy Chase Restaurant
    When: May 27, 2007...maybe from 4:00 to 8 or 9pm

ne_nau.gif In advance, I'm fairly new to Dgrin and have never hired a photographer in my life.

Thanks,

Flaco
    flaco99@gmail.com

bump
  • Options
    nedensnedens Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    flaco wrote:
    bump

out of curiosity what did that $6k get you?
    a proof book? any pictures? or was that just the fee to shoot?
    Was it just one photographer or more than one?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    out of curiosity what did that $6k get you?
    a proof book? any pictures? or was that just the fee to shoot?
    Was it just one photographer or more than one?

Honestly, I was sticker shocked to the point that I didn't look much at the proposal. I knew we wouldn't be accepting at that rate unless I couldn't develop a less expensive bid. From what I remember, it was eight hours of what I'll call access to the photographer. $4900 for the base package, then the listed a few more add ons that looked designed to sell us up to around $6000. I think they included everything at that rate.

I'm a bit surprised, we've received only a single concrete response to this posting. I think we're going to take a decision on or around the end of the month. Perhaps they're in the ballpark and I just need to get used to the idea of being significantly over budget on pictures.

Thanks,

Flaco
  • Options
    nedensnedens Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    flaco wrote:
    Honestly, I was sticker shocked to the point that I didn't look much at the proposal. I knew we wouldn't be accepting at that rate unless I couldn't develop a less expensive bid. From what I remember, it was eight hours of what I'll call access to the photographer. $4900 for the base package, then the listed a few more add ons that looked designed to sell us up to around $6000. I think they included everything at that rate.

I'm a bit surprised, we've received only a single concrete response to this posting. I think we're going to take a decision on or around the end of the month. Perhaps they're in the ballpark and I just need to get used to the idea of being significantly over budget on pictures.

Thanks,

Flaco
    You know I would really look at that proposal. I guess if $4900 included pictures, maybe. There is also the "You get what you pay for" saying. But I would definatly make sure they were good for $4900. Make sure that you see examples of the work from the photographer that is going to shoot the wedding. Then make sure in the contract that it specifically says they can not substitute photographers. I know of a lot of wedding photographers that show you work from photographer A, then actually send out photographer B if it looks like they can't milk you for all sorts of money. And if there is nothing in the contract against it then they can do it.

I guess what I am saying is for that kind of money make sure you are absolutely happy with what you are getting and read and double read that contract.

Out of curioisity as well how large is the wedding? How many in the wedding party, how many at the reception, and how long is the reception. Also you should see if that cost includes a bridal session prior to the wedding, and if it includes an engagement session.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    You know I would really look at that proposal. I guess if $4900 included pictures, maybe. There is also the "You get what you pay for" saying. But I would definatly make sure they were good for $4900. Make sure that you see examples of the work from the photographer that is going to shoot the wedding. Then make sure in the contract that it specifically says they can not substitute photographers. I know of a lot of wedding photographers that show you work from photographer A, then actually send out photographer B if it looks like they can't milk you for all sorts of money. And if there is nothing in the contract against it then they can do it.

I guess what I am saying is for that kind of money make sure you are absolutely happy with what you are getting and read and double read that contract.

Out of curioisity as well how large is the wedding? How many in the wedding party, how many at the reception, and how long is the reception. Also you should see if that cost includes a bridal session prior to the wedding, and if it includes an engagement session.

Thanks for the warning about a potential bait and switch. I'm generally talking with one or two person shops.

I'll analyze deliverables on each and ensure every thing is checked off before final payment. The expense of the entire event is breathtaking at best.

How large is the wedding? Biggest one ever for me :D
    # in wedding party? 10
    # @ reception? ~100
    The wedding will be at 3 or 4 pm and we've the reception hall from 6-11pm. We are including a bridal portrait session in our RFQ at this point.

Flaco