Options

Some wine tasting shots

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited January 17, 2007 in Holy Macro
I took these yesterday while wine tasting in Temecula Valley in So. Cal-- and despite (or perhaps because of?) the amount of wine I'd imbibed, I managed to get these shots:
123395203-M-1.jpg
Nothing like the first star of the evening reflected. In this case, off the hood of a car.

123395972-M-1.jpg
Barrels and barrels of the tasty goodness, all lined up, and with a nice ray of sunshine pouring through.

C&C welcome.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    I took these yesterday while wine tasting in Temecula Valley in So. Cal-- and despite (or perhaps because of?) the amount of wine I'd imbibed, I managed to get these shots:
    Nothing like the first star of the evening reflected. In this case, off the hood of a car.
    Barrels and barrels of the tasty goodness, all lined up, and with a nice ray of sunshine pouring through.
    C&C welcome.

Wow and you still remember it after all that wine rolleyes1.gif
    How many bottles of wine would they get out of a single Barrel ?
    Nice shots......... I like the way they stack their barrels .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    1drink.gif Myy goodness...I would love to work there...imagine the free wine tasting. I'm a Merlot drinker...but lately have been drinking Shiraz's...very tasty.
    friday.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Seneca, I'd highly recommend that you have some vacation out here, then. There's just winery after winery, and you roll from one location to the other, 'tasting' wines. Some are as cheap as $3 for 5 tastes, others are about $12 for 8, depending on the winery. If you chat with the bartender enough, they'll give you free samples, especially near closing time, because otherwise the wine'll just get thrown away. Spend a week, take your camera, relax...

My other Temecula shots are here:
    http://mmroden.smugmug.com/gallery/1957802
    I've taken many more shots than that, but I'm trying to limit my posts based on the amount of 'interestingness.'

Skippy-- I believe that a 53 gallon barrel yields about 250 bottles of wine. So, yeah-- that was a lot of booze right there. That particular winery just opened, and their wines all have hints of citrus. It's apparently their thing, to have orange, lemon, or something similar, as the overtone. I didn't like them so much, but other people thought they were fantastic.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    Nice photos
    What wine tastes like ? i mean is it sweet or sour ? is wine and beer same ?
    is it taste like non alcohalic beer ? ne_nau.gif

Really want to know
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Nice photos
    What wine tastes like ? i mean is it sweet or sour ? is wine and beer same ?
    is it taste like non alcohalic beer ? ne_nau.gif

Really want to know

Hi Awais,

You remind me of a gaffe I once made at an orthodox Jewish wedding, saying that the cheeseburger I'd just eaten was fantastic-- people looked at me, and then started pelting me with questions about the taste.

Wine and beer are different beverages, as they come from different sources (grapes vs. grains). Part of the reason that wine is so expensive is that its flavor is very complex. Beer can actually be similarly complex (anyone who doesn't agree should visit Father's Office in Santa Monica, order the burger and sweet potato fries, and then run through some of the beers there, but be warned, they're in the range of 9-12%, not your American beers with your 4%), but tends to be cheaper and more straightforward.

The problem is, describing tastes is very hard to do, especially since there's taste receptors in your tongue that only activate when in contact with their activating substance. In my physiology textbook, the author states that there's at least 50 known taste buds, and wine probably hits several of them at once. So, to tell you what a wine tastes like might be like describing the color blue to someone who's blind; if you've never used the sense, my analogies will fall short.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    Seneca, I'd highly recommend that you have some vacation out here, then. There's just winery after winery, and you roll from one location to the other, 'tasting' wines. Some are as cheap as $3 for 5 tastes, others are about $12 for 8, depending on the winery. If you chat with the bartender enough, they'll give you free samples, especially near closing time, because otherwise the wine'll just get thrown away. Spend a week, take your camera, relax...

My other Temecula shots are here:
    http://mmroden.smugmug.com/gallery/1957802
    I've taken many more shots than that, but I'm trying to limit my posts based on the amount of 'interestingness.'

Thanks so much. Yes we're planning a trip to the wine country in August. My husband and I wait until the end of August to take our vacation. My son is so involved in sports that we almost play year around...so we take it when most are back in school.