Options

On your Bike

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited January 16, 2007 in Holy Macro
Here is a shot taken at an old homestead close by. I converted to BW in PSE5 using their inbuilt BW converter. It has some nice functions to it and I wonder what you guys think of it. Not as Black as it could be quite deliberately, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

123022887-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    eek7.gif how to sit on the seat ??
    i have seen it on history books but never knew someone still have one !!!

very nice photo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    eek7.gif how to sit on the seat ??
    i have seen it on history books but never knew someone still have one !!!

very nice photo
    I would like to know who ever invented this and what they were thining!! You needed long legs to pedal this baby!:D
  • Options
    cloveclove Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Very cool. I would experiment with different b&w conversions filtering different colors so you can get more contrast of the bike against the bricks. The bricks sort of wash out the image as it is.
    shawn c
    cloverphoto.smugmug.com
    www.cloverphoto.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    Here is a shot taken at an old homestead close by. I converted to BW in PSE5 using their inbuilt BW converter. It has some nice functions to it and I wonder what you guys think of it. Not as Black as it could be quite deliberately, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Wow that's a bit of history, yes I wonder what on earth they were thinking when they invented Penny Farthing, they were not easy to mount or dismount let alone actually ride.

Even the stand the front wheel is sitting looks interesting, I'm assuming it's cast iron ?

Good shot Aussieroo thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Wow...now you know...headscratch.gif ...I never could understand the logic of those bikes.

But anyway...good shot!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
    I did have a play with the contrast and BW setting but as the area at the top of the photo is dark anyway it is difficult to get more seperation into it. I may need to go reshoot at some stage with the light in a different place or metered differently. This place is advertised as a "Haunted house" and all sorts of stories have been floating around of people killed etc but that aside it has a great collection of antiques from original old horse drawn carriages to furniture and buildings and everything in between. Last time I went without a tripod on my next visit I will take the tripod and shoot in natural light for effect rather than use a flash.
    Now if someone says to you , "on your bike" please don't pick this one, I doubt you will get far!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Another one taken at the same place and edited earlier into B&W. Also another one I am anxious to reshoot.

49205489-L.jpg
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited January 16, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    I would like to know who ever invented this and what they were thining!! You needed long legs to pedal this baby!:D

Not as easy to ride, but boy, those things were fast in their day. Even now, as my friend Steve Stevens proved not too long ago. To tailor the high-wheeler to the rider, one chose a ft. wheel size for their leg length allowing a tad for knee bend.

When safety bikes hit the market early in the 20th century (like those today; equal wheel size + front sprocket, chain and rear sprocket), the difficult sell was the smaller wheels, as people thought "real bikes" had to have the tall front wheel to keep up with other riders with the "real bikes."

The educating bike dealer had to explain that the gearing size was indeed similar, if not larger. The prospective safety bike buyer, when they did the math, realized that yes, the smaller bike's gearing was the same...

Gear inches = (rear wheel size x front sprocket size) / rear sprocket size

81 gear inches = (26 inch wheel x 50tooth) / 16tooth rear

This yields a high-wheeler equivalent of an 81 inch front wheel, which was impossibly large for most people.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky