Options

more baby photography...

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited January 23, 2007 in People
As the photographer in the family (or at least the one who spends the most $$ on camera equiptment) my wife assigned me the job of taking birth announcement pictures of our daugther Nadia. I've been trying a lot of different things, but nothing I've been too happy with until now. For fun I decided I would put on the 105 macro lens, and shoot a few close up face shots with narrow DOF.

Let me know what you all think.

123635390-M-1.jpg

123636859-M-1.jpg

123637973-M-1.jpg

123638639-M-1.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Excellent shotsthumb.gif. #4 is my winner. Hands down.

Beautiful baby! Congrats on the newborn!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Very cute shots! Congratulations! How old is she? For a birth announcement, I really love the first shot, but for her first official "portrait" I love #4! :D
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    I love those baby eyelashes in #1, but #4 really shows her off so beautifully! Congratulations!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Thank you all.
    saurora wrote:
    How old is she?

She is 4 weeks old (born 12/19/2007).

EDIT:
    Oops.... born 12/19/2006
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Lovely shots of a beautiful baby, #4 is my fav.
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    I like both #2 & 4 but prefer #4. I think I would like #2 more with a little more DOF, I don't think just one eye in sharp focus is enough. #1 is nice too but doesn't show her off enough, people are going to want so see who she looks like!
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    What a beautiful baby!! I like all four but #4 is my favorite too. She already is showing loads of personality. iloveyou.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    She is 4 weeks old (born 12/19/2007).
    OMG! I've been asleep for a year!!!

:D

I agree w/Elaine, your best baby shot isn't necessarily the best announcement shot. In fact, in #4, she almost looks too old to be just announcing her! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Hard choice...love'em all.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Well because I couldn't decide...I took the liberty of putting them all together...I hope you don't mind. How about something like this...

I really think all of them are so touching. Beautiful baby.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Thanks All! I think the current winner is definately #4.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    OMG! I've been asleep for a year!!!

:D

Ooops... With a new baby comes a serious lack of sleep. Lately I feel like I haven't slept in a year. :D

Seneca wrote:
    Well because I couldn't decide...I took the liberty of putting them all together...I hope you don't mind. How about something like this...

I really think all of them are so touching. Beautiful baby.

Thats beautiful, thanks Seneca! I might take that idea and see if I can't incorporate in even more pics.
    Andrew

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    IMO One primary image is much easier on the eye.... Or, if you want more than one, make one very prominent and the others complementary. Just an idea - there's no right answer....let me know if you want me to take this down, just offering some alternative design thoughts. your pictures are fantastic btw!!!

113689846-M.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    IMO One primary image is much easier on the eye.... Or, if you want more than one, make one very prominent and the others complementary. Just an idea - there's no right answer....let me know if you want me to take this down, just offering some alternative design thoughts. your pictures are fantastic btw!!!

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice I can get. All of this is just fun for me, trying to come of all the unique ways of doing this.

Hopefully you all don't mind, but I wanted to add one more picture to the mix call it #5. I wasn't crazy about this pic because the centering was weird for me, and her eyes are oof, but its one of my wife's favorites that I missed on the orignal post.

123656350-M.jpg
    Andrew

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    I can see why your wife likes it! For me, it has more spark in it than the similar one you posted earlier. This is soft, like babies should be. If you were to include this as a smaller complementary shot (as in urbanaries' suggested format), then the slightly OOF eyes would hardly be noticed. I'm not so sure the OOF is such a bad thing here, anyway. If it bothers you, have you tried some selective sharpening coupled with a bit of gaussian blur?

My .02!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Very cute shots! Congratulations! How old is she? For a birth announcement, I really love the first shot, but for her first official "portrait" I love #4! :D

I agree both are great, for different reasons clap.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    I love number four...beautiful...but I agree with others that it may not be the best for her announcement. Perhaps the first.
    BTW she has a great birthday, my second oldest was 12.19.02! Your's is beautiful!!!!